Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 12:57 PM

624 posts, read 939,110 times

Advertisements

I went on vacation to Hawaii last year for the first time, and of course fell in love with it. I went with friends and was based on Oahu for much of the trip. One of those friends is finishing a master's in a healthcare field, and is seriously thinking of moving there. She is aware of the high cost of living and tricky rental market, but she can afford it if she can get a job that pays even 2/3 of her degree's baseline earning potential.

She wonders, though...how do Hawaiian-born residents tend to feel about transplants? Is there any overt resentment toward people who move there? She's not expecting anything outrageous, but has lived in places that aren't friendly to outsiders before and would rather avoid a repeat...especially on an island!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 03:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Aloha.

This subject is complex, and has been discussed many times here, so I suggest you do some reading in the archives to get the full gist.

But to give you the "elevator" version, many of us report that if you are open, warm and accepting, you will get an open, warm and accepting welcome. But native-born and even long-time residents will tend to hold you at a little reserve for the first couple of years until you prove that you're going to stay.

This is a function of a long history of many people coming to Hawai'i and then leaving again. Not just military people, but folks who move here and find that it does not suit them for one reason or another. After 2 years people will take more chances on you, both professionally and personally.

Also, ohana (extended family) is thicker than water, and very central to traditional Hawaiian values, so don't be surprised if the best jobs and assignments and deals go to "cousins" or "uncles."

As far as outright expressions of resentment from ethnic Hawaiians, it happens occasionally, but it is not common, and is more likely to be a case of being given "stink eye" for intruding on a group at a beach or something like that than to have anything overtly said or done.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:57 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,370,434 times
I was born on Oahu. I have no problem with Hawaii-bound transplants. In fact, the more the better.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
This really depends - move into a condo with a pool/common areas then you should find it relatively easy to meet your neighbors whether they are local or transplants. If you move into a single family home, my experience is people can tend to be a bit more private here than the mainland - they don't often reach out to the new neighbor proactively and you'll need to reach out to them if you want to get to know them. It would be a rare circumstance that they would seem hostile/unfriendly/resentful.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Aloha.

This subject is complex, and has been discussed many times here, so I suggest you do some reading in the archives to get the full gist.

But to give you the "elevator" version, many of us report that if you are open, warm and accepting, you will get an open, warm and accepting welcome. But native-born and even long-time residents will tend to hold you at a little reserve for the first couple of years until you prove that you're going to stay.

This is a function of a long history of many people coming to Hawai'i and then leaving again. Not just military people, but folks who move here and find that it does not suit them for one reason or another. After 2 years people will take more chances on you, both professionally and personally.

Also, ohana (extended family) is thicker than water, and very central to traditional Hawaiian values, so don't be surprised if the best jobs and assignments and deals go to "cousins" or "uncles."

As far as outright expressions of resentment from ethnic Hawaiians, it happens occasionally, but it is not common, and is more likely to be a case of being given "stink eye" for intruding on a group at a beach or something like that than to have anything overtly said or done.
Sorry...I should've looked for other threads first. Thanks for this, though.

As visitors we felt very welcome, especially in Honolulu/Waikiki, which surprised me because I'm from NYC and people there get very frustrated with tourists.

The only place we felt like intruders was in the evening along Oahu's North Shore. I get that. It was all good.

I'd love to live there myself, but I'm afraid of getting "rock fever". The proximity to New Zealand and Japan is very appealing, and I loved the food and mix of cultures. The first thing I did when I got home was perfect my own spam musubi. I ate that stuff every day there. And malasadas...don't even get me started....

Old 10-17-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
I was born on Oahu. I have no problem with Hawaii-bound transplants. In fact, the more the better.
That's good to know...hope that's a popular sentiment. You now live in Colorado? That must have been a big adjustment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
This really depends - move into a condo with a pool/common areas then you should find it relatively easy to meet your neighbors whether they are local or transplants. If you move into a single family home, my experience is people can tend to be a bit more private here than the mainland - they don't often reach out to the new neighbor proactively and you'll need to reach out to them if you want to get to know them. It would be a rare circumstance that they would seem hostile/unfriendly/resentful.
I'll pass that along. She'd probably rent a condo at first. She's friendly and respectful...not one of those people who constantly complain about what's missing that they had back home, etc. I'm sure she'd be very good at reaching out.

Thanks, you two!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:13 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithytoves View Post
As visitors we felt very welcome, especially in Honolulu/Waikiki, which surprised me because I'm from NYC and people there get very frustrated with tourists.
I think a lot of it depends on what kind of person you are. For example, I had always heard how rude and unfriendly people were in NYC but both times I was there, I found everyone to be warm and extremely helpful. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely jerks everywhere. However, for the most part I think you get back what you give.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:05 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I'm a transplant who has been here for 25 years, and I have acclimated well. May late husband was born and raised here.

That said.... it did take me a while to fit in. Initially my husband's family didn't like me... I didn't like hugging (a BIG no-no!!!), I wasn't used to the strong family ties here. I wanted to go out for New Year's Eve. OMG totally unheard of, it was a family holiday. I had to get used to the strong Asian influence when it came to work.

I worked it all out in the long run, I've been successful professionally and I'm still family with my late husband's family (which I am eternally grateful).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-17-2013, 08:50 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
I'm an implant who has been here for 38 years, (I think, the 80's are kind of hazy), and I find myself asking, first thing when introduced to someone, 'How long have you lived in Hawaii?'. If the answer is two or less years, a little switch goes off in my head, and, although I remain polite, I figure I won't waste my time getting to know this person. Just the way it is, but I'm leaving Hawaii fairly soon.

Uuuurrrrppppp, scuze me

(maybe it was the early 90's?)

Old 10-17-2013, 09:33 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
(maybe it was the early 90's?)
AND the 70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii