Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:50 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,873,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Mahalo Eekwine (cute). I did a search and came up with Piiholo Ranch on Maui.
I've just sent them an email asking for assistance. Yeah, it's breaking my heart
to have to consider leaving my DWB. I could never replace him.
Again, Mahalo for the info.
Koale
DWB? Darling Wheat Breath?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,777 times
There is also a woman in Valley Ford in Sonoma County in Northern California. She ships cattle to the islands as well. Look her up.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:21 PM

7 posts, read 21,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
DWB? Darling Wheat Breath?
dutch warm blood

Old 05-25-2009, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 8,636 times
Do you know the names of any of the horse transportation companies? Moving from Michigan to Hawaii and do not want to leave horse and pony behind. Please advise.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 8,489 times
i know it has been a while since the post was first started, but I was wondering if anyone found a decent shipping company? Or I was also wondering if anyone has a few horses coming from LA to Maui, we could combine to help reduce shipping costs...? I miss my little girl so much and I just want to enjoy maui's beautiful riding with her! Any help or information is greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

Old 09-21-2009, 01:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,608,860 times
Pacific Airlift is the primary air carrier. About $3,500 per horse.

Matson is the primary sea carrier. About $1,300 per horse.

Sheila Head is the best transporter from CA to HI. You bring the horse to them, they take care of everything else, from boarding until flight, transportation, handling crates/pens, etc. Don't know their cost.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:57 PM

21 posts, read 101,890 times
Default Just shipped 5 horses from CA to HI

Hi,

If you search other posts I know I had a long thread going about this when I first started looking into relocating our ranch in June/July. OPtions are quite limited, but here's what we did:

Last week we shipped out our first five horses by boat using Sheila Head from northern CA (4 adults and a 4 mo old foal). She is rather gruff to talk to but the horses made it in one piece and in decent shape. Try talking to her guy Kurt. He's much nicer. They have a handler that feeds and waters the horses during the boat trip. Our foal took it the hardest but it might just have been stress or a little dehydration. The best tip we received was to fatten your horses up before hand and get them used to eating alfalfa pellets, the only feed they will have on the trip.

We are about to ship out the next 10 horses that we have going. Sheila does handle all the vet logistics and getting them to Honolulu. From there we used Kea Among for temporrary boarding and interisland transport to Big Island. That went well. Kea also was very relaible when the foal needed vet attention a couple days afer arriving.

The only other boat option is a cattle hauler that we had tons of trouble getting a response from. I tried several phone calls and emails too numerous to count. If you want to talk to them email me for info.

Flying is faster but must leave from LA/Long Beach area and is about 3x as costly as boat travel. If your horses aren't nervous excitable types the boat trip should be ok. At least ours proved to be.

Good luck.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 8,406 times
Hey Tiakobos,
I live on Kauai and am thinking about shipping a horse over from California. Could you give me some information about sea transport. What is the rabies quarantine like for horses?
Mahalo,
Meg

Old 10-02-2009, 02:10 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,163,892 times
SagDreamer Congrats on getting some of the family to the islands. Thanks Mahalo for posting your experience...

Old 10-04-2009, 01:36 PM

21 posts, read 101,890 times
Default No rabies issue for horses

Check the Hawaii Ag website. Importing horses is a breeze compared to cats & dogs. Basically, they only need a Coggins test, a vaccination and a bug spray before they ship. No quarentine required or even a rabies vaccination, but you are supposed to retest them once they get here.

We just shipped our other 6 horses and 2 cows by boat. The cows required many more tests than the horses. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our last 3 foals and calf can make the trip without too much stress.

Sheila Head was much easier to work with this time. Maybe because we have spent enough money shipping with her now or are shipping so many more animals? I don't know. Rick (not Kurt) is her guy to talk to.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii