Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,383,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnickersDoodle View Post
tikobos, I'm looking at shipping 3 horses from co to hi this summer, and deffinatly the cheaper the better, but these guys are my world so I need to know their safe. As far as transporting them by water, do you know if any companies would let someone ride on the ship as well as the horses? I would love info on any comanys either air or water if you have them.

Thanks a bunch,
Brandi
Morning Snickers...I really think it would be in your best interest to research online. Find the Training facilities on the Island you are coming to and call them. Take down your own info rather than relying on a third party. You will eventually, anyway. It may be a major liability issue for you to accompany your steeds enroute. Please, do let us know what you find out.
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 05:57 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,406,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee151 View Post
to fly his horse over the only option is Pacific Air Lift Welcome to Pacific Airlift
Cost is about $4000 But first he has to get the horse to LA . Trailering to LA isn't included in the $4K PAL usually recommends Hubbart trailers. Tell him he needs to call and talk to Andy. Andy knows everything, can arrange anything. They fly here once a month, only on Wednesdays, the Wednesday closes to the 15th of the month. They usually don't fly in December, but I remember them making 2 flights in January one year.
He can also ship his horse via boat. It's a 5 day trip... I've seen a couple of horses in really bad shape after they come off the boat. I personally wouldn't ship via boat - no food or water for 5 days, horses are in a shipping box, they can't walk around, lay down, etc. Pacific Airlift requires that your horse have shipping insurance. I was talking to my insurance agent (for my daughters horse) and she did mention that her company won't give insurance if you're shipping via boat. That tells me there's to many claims.

Tell him the boarding rates around here are pretty reasonable- around $400 per month. He's not going to find pasture boarding. Finding a good farrier is a problem tho... my boarders acually fly a guy in from California every 5 weeks - costs them $250 per horse! We have a couple of good vets, but no surgery yet.
How the hell can a horse survive 5 days without water? And the horse has to stand the whole time? Who would do that to their horse? If you did it to a human you'd be in prison for torture.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,383,973 times
Thumbs down Hold it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
How the hell can a horse survive 5 days without water? And the horse has to stand the whole time? Who would do that to their horse? If you did it to a human you'd be in prison for torture.
I don't know where all this info came from but...shippers take great care of the animals they ship. Of course they have water and food and enough room in their stalls to stand up or lie down. Don't be morons and post this sort of nonsense! It's untrue and utterly rediculous! OP pay no attention to this sort of nonsense.
Koale

Old 02-10-2011, 01:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,607,758 times
Wink was just expresing outrage over the post that claimed the no water food thingy. I would also be outraged if that were true, but its not. I wouldn;t be so hard on Wink but on the person who posted the bad info.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,011 times
Who transports horses from Kawaihae to Kahalui harbors??

Old 08-03-2017, 11:04 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,788,548 times
Did you mean Kahului Harbor on Maui? Wow, that's a tough one and I wish I could help. I know they transport cattle from the BI to the mainland via surface but I'm not aware of any surface players between the islands for large animals. If you find this information out, I would love to hear who does it.

TransAir (also known as Rhoades Aviation) has transported large animals between islands via air. So has Aloha Air Cargo. TransAir has been seen at Waimea, which is the closest airport to Kawaihae. You could call them and inquire about a charter. Otherwise your options are to trailer the horses to Kona for other air options.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, and would love to hear what you find out. You can also call the state veterinarian's office in Hilo and ask. I believe the vet (also a livestock owner) has had her animals transported by air to the island and might have good suggestions.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiakobos View Post
I am from Hawaii, and I do know there are alot of great transporters from state to state and to and from Hawaii. I have personally used 3 different ones myself and all had great trips and no they did not get sick or loose weight. Some may have slight difficulty, but do recover quite nicely.

Pacific airlift, quotes are $2800.00 per horse as of today. Transportation by water is also safe and yes they do feed horses and give them water. $1000. per horse. There is also an attendant with them when they travel to ensure safety. Most of us here in Hawaii, travel by water not by air. I can give many names and #'s in transportation.

Mahalo,
Aloha! We are on Oahu andlooking to ship our gelding over... does anyone have good contacts of links for boat transportation? I see that this forum is older... but thought it was worth a shot! We’d also love to know if there are any known boarding facilities that we can help work at to lessen costs of boarding! We were super involved in 4-H and this is our kiddos horse... we had to move here suddenly a year ago due to my health issues and they left everything they knew overnight. We are so tired of having his boarded and loved on from so far away... wanting him here again! HELP!

Mahalo, Dani

Old 03-30-2018, 06:26 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,788,548 times
I wouldn't recommend shipping them on the barge. The will lose a lot of weight from the motion sickness.

Pacific Air Cargo Home - Pacific Air Cargo

Aloha Air Cargo Aloha Air Cargo

Either one of these companies can transport a large animal from the west coast to oahu on a climate controlled 737 or 747. You can request to accompany the animal as it's "handler" for it's safety if you want.

I don't know about Aloha Air Cargo, but Pacific Air Cargo transports cattle off the Big Island to the mainland and has an aircraft configured for transporting large animals.

Edited to add: We had contacted Pac Air about transporting our parrots, seem to remember price was reasonable, but decided to go another route due to logistics. Both airlines have regularly scheduled service, I wasn't suggesting a charter operation.

I try to keep up on large animal transportation, please let us know how this works out for you.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,363 times
I know this thread is older, but we just found out we have to PCS to Hawaii. I have a truck, trailer, 2 horses (one will be pregnant) and 3 dogs.
I am looking for transport by boat, that will allow me to drive my truck onto the boat with horses, trailer, etc. and allow me to accompany them as their handler.

These horses are my babies (I’ve had my gelding for 20 years, since he was a month old), and my pregnant mare is EXTREMELY temperamental and picky about people she doesn’t know touching/handling her. (She’s a SE Arabian). Especially with her being pregnant, I’m very worried that the stress of traveling along with an unfamiliar person will be too much...she needs familiarity to keep her calm.

Any help with names/contacts of boat transports would be greatly appreciated!

I can provide all food, water, cleaning and caretaking of the horses and dogs... I just need the space on a boat to do it!

Old 01-25-2021, 02:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,741,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieEod View Post
I am looking for transport by boat, that will allow me to drive my truck onto the boat with horses, trailer, etc. and allow me to accompany them as their handler.
Not going to happen. Isn't an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii