Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:16 PM

170 posts, read 292,202 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase a solar (PV) system. With the crazy HECO rates they have here I think it's the best route to go for my family. I've got more than a dozen companies bookmarked on Yelp and I constantly see new companies popping up on TV. Any input greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 01:29 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Pick your top 3 and have them all compete and give you estimates. The solar landscape changes much weekly.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:43 AM

Do you have solar? If so, what companies gave you estimates and who'd you go with?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:15 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
We went with Sun Run (RevoluSun) on the Bis Island. They explained everything well and did a decent job.

One word of caution: it is becoming more difficult and more costly to install solar, contrary to the ads being put out by HECO. We are trying to install solar on our community center building, and HELCO has a new fee of $991/kwH on top of what we are paying for the system. And that fee varies widely depending on where you are located. This fee is supposedly to pay HELCO to install new equipment on the substation to handle all of the energy being put back into the system. Sounds like another song and dance to me!

Just wanted everyone to be aware of these new fees. Whether or not you will have a fee and how much that will be depends on your location and the amount of solar in your area that feeds into that substation.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:20 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
I do have solar and called Sunetric and Haleakala (and I called a few other places, you'll find responsiveness hit and miss) - ended up going with Sunetric as they were based in Kailua.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:34 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Make sure you can tie in, if a grid tie system is what you want. You can easily buy one and have HECO refuse to allow you to hook up.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:56 PM

Revolusun and Sunetric are off of the radar. My neighbor use to work for them. He says they're the most expensive. Haleakala has good reviews so I'll get a quote from them.

Yup, these clowns at HECO want us to call them before we sign a contract. Also, for the new people getting solar they want to charge us an outrageous amount to "upgrade" like Dreaming of Hawaii mentioned and who knows how long the wait will be before they turn us on.... *smh*

Old 11-02-2013, 07:34 AM

406 posts, read 865,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
We went with Sun Run (RevoluSun) on the Bis Island. They explained everything well and did a decent job.

One word of caution: it is becoming more difficult and more costly to install solar, contrary to the ads being put out by HECO. We are trying to install solar on our community center building, and HELCO has a new fee of $991/kwH on top of what we are paying for the system. And that fee varies widely depending on where you are located. This fee is supposedly to pay HELCO to install new equipment on the substation to handle all of the energy being put back into the system. Sounds like another song and dance to me!

Just wanted everyone to be aware of these new fees. Whether or not you will have a fee and how much that will be depends on your location and the amount of solar in your area that feeds into that substation.
You also have the option to not use grid inter-tie. Use one of the calculators on almost all solar suppliers web sites to help determine your usage (pare it down as much as possible) and size the system from there. Edison batteries are one of the best choices for storage and are becoming increasingly available, although most are built in China. They can have a life of 100 (yes, one hundred) years or more of life if properly maintained.

Remember, google is your friend!

Mickey

Old 11-02-2013, 11:00 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Yes, Mickey, we are looking at that as an alternative. However, being a volunteer community organization with members who come and go, I am hesitant to get anything that would need maintenance on a regular basis.

I'd like to hear from anyone who does have their own solar setup here in Hawaii.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:52 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Yes, Mickey, we are looking at that as an alternative. However, being a volunteer community organization with members who come and go, I am hesitant to get anything that would need maintenance on a regular basis.

I'd like to hear from anyone who does have their own solar setup here in Hawaii.
Here are some other threads that i found that might have some answers to your questions.

Are solar & wind energy needed NOW?

Solar on new homes

Improvements to solar power in the Hawaiian Islands?

Watch it if you have solar power in Hawaii

Solar Electricity

Solar contractors and/or companies

There are more. Search is a friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii