Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:03 AM

313 posts, read 1,195,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Calves can breach even more frequently than juveniles. They often jump on their mother's blow-hole as a means of getting attention, and sometimes the mother will pull the calf under the water as a way to get them to calm down.

There is an oft-shown video footage of a pilot whale that pulled Lisa Costello underwater 30' by grabbing her ankle. She naturally assumed that she would drown, but the whale "powered" her back to the surface and she was unharmed.

Animals Attack

It has been suggested that the whale was engaging in behavior that they would normally do to calm down annoying calves. Of course a whale has no way to judge how long a human can hold their breathe or how sensitive they are to two Atmosphere's of pressure. It is a cautionary tale against harassing marine mammals.
Thanks for the video and the info!

You might have noticed I am a Midwesterner, so snorkeling and whale watching was a pretty big treat for us! And when we snorkeled both at Molikini and again off Kona, my husband, young kids and I never felt unsafe. It was a blast and it was easy and we liked it!

But we just learned of a shark bite/attack yesterday that was a little too close to where we were for comfort. We asked about sharks in those waters near Molikini and Turtle Arches and were told there was "just a little reef shark and he was more afraid of us than we were of him." I have to admit, and I know it is reactionary, that I would think twice before snorkeling with my kids again... It is easy to think, because it is offered, it is safe. But what you really need to remember is that it is a big ocean and a lot of creatures and they can be just as curious about us as we are about them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 11:58 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaMichigander View Post
But we just learned of a shark bite/attack yesterday that was a little too close to where we were for comfort. We asked about sharks in those waters near Molikini and Turtle Arches and were told there was "just a little reef shark and he was more afraid of us than we were of him." I have to admit, and I know it is reactionary, that I would think twice before snorkeling with my kids again... It is easy to think, because it is offered, it is safe. But what you really need to remember is that it is a big ocean and a lot of creatures and they can be just as curious about us as we are about them!
Actually most bites are from the little benign species of sharks, because people tend to poke them thinking they are just a sand or a reef shark. You can't poke a wild animal.

While attacks by larger sharks are possible they are unbelievably rare. It's the same thing with bears. You can teach your children to remain calm when confronted by a wild animal, and not to trigger some primal instincts.

I had a friend tell me he remained virtually still in Namibia when being charged by a female lion. It is difficult, but they have no instincts with stationary prey. The attacker veers off.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:58 PM

569 posts, read 780,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
On the news last night. There is an enormous congregation of whales (probably grays) off the California coast. They are way out of position for the time of year, but there is some sort of "bloom" of sardines and the whales, dolphins and seals are feasting. The water is solid with them. It's really amazing to see.

The Orcas are also there feasting on the seals.

If the Hawaiian whales are late, they might have discovered one of those massive sardine over-populations somewhere along their route, and they won't move on until the food is gone.
There have been a number of articles about this and they're Humpbacks
Whales put on show off California coast - SFGate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii