Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 03:27 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times

Advertisements

In case you haven't discovered it yet, Huffington Post has added a 9th Local section, in conjunction with Honolulu's Civil Beat. Following in the footsteps of New York, Chicago, San Francisco, LA, DC, Denver, Detroit, and Miami, the new section is called, simply, Hawaii.

Although I think this kind of institutionalizes the surprisingly common confusion that Hawai'i is a city and that Honolulu is representative of the whole state, and though it has a lot of fluffy pieces of most interest to armchair travelers, this new section has already had some good hard news pieces of interest to locals, such as coverage of the recent molasses spill.

This piece is of the former persuasion rather than the latter, but it's kind of fun...

Quote:
Regardless of your time spent in Hawaii, this list serves as a warning. And those of you who have ever left the Honolulu International Airport with tears in your eyes and that stinging, lump feeling in your throat, you'll understand why.

Because falling in love with Hawaii isn't easy. In fact, it turns your whole world upside down.

Below, the 6 reasons you should never fall in love with Hawaii if you ever want a chance at a normal life anywhere else:

6 Reasons Hawaii Will Ruin Your Life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 07:49 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
Cute story, I think all of us on the mainland that have had to go back can relate.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:08 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
OTOH People like my son and dtr in law are bored to tears by the weather and island life. Not for everyone. The good news is when son's tour is up he plans to reaquest be stationed in CA.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:02 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
@OpenD

Mahalo for thread. Exactly how I felt and still feel today.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:18 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
This is so true. My family and friends haven't abandoned me but they are really steamed with jealousy that the ONLY place I vacation is Hawaii.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:19 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
The article in the Huffington post could pertain to anyone comparing the real world to their favorite vacation. It's kinda a "well, duh!", if you know what I mean.

Is Huffington Post a valid news source or is it some sort of tabloid?

Old 12-03-2013, 03:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Is Huffington Post a valid news source or is it some sort of tabloid?
It's a mix. Partly it's an online news aggregator, reposting stories from other news sources like Time and Newsday, and partly it's original content. The founder, Ariana Huffington, gained her reputation originally for coverage of Washington politics insider stories, and Politicians as Celebrities, but in the years since it has broadened and deepened. Some of the specialized blogs are better than others.

I have found the Hawai'i coverage to be interesting since they teamed up with Civil Beat, which is proving to be a credible news source in, of, and from the islands.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:32 PM

431 posts, read 940,037 times
Huffington Post was bought by right-leaning AOL quite a while ago and it shows. I think it gets most of its content from FOX news these days, LOL.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
OTOH People like my son and dtr in law are bored to tears by the weather and island life. Not for everyone. The good news is when son's tour is up he plans to reaquest be stationed in CA.
LOL---funny you should mention that. There are at least seven co-workers of mine who are expressing the same sentiment and are ready to head back to the mainland. Main reason? BOREDOM.
No, not the same as "Island Fever." That can usually be solved by a quick trip to the mainland, complete with nasty weather, and the return to the balmy Hawaii clime. Sighs of relief.
No, I mean true BOREDOM.
These are not your "revolving door" transplants, either. They've all been here at least ten years, some upwards of thirty years. All saw themselves as lifetime residents and none came here with the intent of their move being a "Hawaii adventure." Some raised kids here. Some are caucasian, others are not (so the H-word issue is not a factor in those cases, if it might be in some others).
And these are all well-employed people, both they and their spouses, making well over the six-figure mark (some over $200K combined as couples). They own their own homes and have for years, in most cases---some own two places, renting one out. So the oft-heard "It's just so expensive, we can't make it here" chant does not apply at all. They have the money to travel and get off the island fairly frequently.
Nope...it's BOREDOM. The fact that you can't get in your car and drive to Tahoe, Vermont, Montreal. Can't get on a train and go to Manhattan and catch a Broadway show. Can't take a drive in the country to catch the leaves changing color. Yes, there is "always something happening in Hawaii" but, after years here, you realize that it's always the same thing, repeated over and over again.
Yes, the scenery is incredibly beautiful and the weather is fantastic. But it is elsewhere, too, with more variations on the theme and more bang for the buck.
We're not quite to that point but can certainly see how it could become something to consider someday.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:00 PM

Just read the HP article.
Basically, pardon me, full of crap.
Typical post-vacation blues stuff.
Gotta love the "Your goals have less to do with money and more to do with beating your best time up a crater and learning how to do a headstand on a paddleboard."
Which is exactly why most people who move to Hawaii last less than two years. They come here really thinking that that's the way it is here and get a very rude awakening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii