Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 05:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,355,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
"eh, bruddah, dis taste bad to you"
Eh, when I say "broke da mouth" it shouldn't broke the mouth for reals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 10:36 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,371,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Unfortunately a Maui fisherman died today from a shark bite... so it's all over the news... but as this article points out, shark bite is the correct term, not shark attack, and very few species even bite humans except by accident.
True. However the ones that do, make it count.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:17 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,533,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
They aren't hunting me, they're hunting food. They just occasionally mistake me for food until they taste me and realize I'm not the food they are hunting.

Yes, I think I feel better now. Lol
When I am hungry I head for the kitchen... or restaurant what have you.

when a shark is hungry, it will eat anything in its kitchen, no returants for them as the whole entier ocean is there kitchen!! If you just so happen to jump in the water... your up on that menu!! Sad to say but anyone how jump in the ocean has to expect that they could be breakfast lunch dinner or dessert.

the study was done. Brazil vs Cuba

Brazil; had way more shark attacks. water was murky and fish population was depleted
Cuba; crystal clear water native fish population high tourists would hand feed sharks, no cage. less attacks than Brazil

People grow, raise or what ever to have food on their table. Now when it comes to the ocean people Rape it repeatedly for a food source. Now if thats done what is a shark to eat? Humans are taking the food right off their dinner table. Can a shark go to Zippy's and order a chili frank plate? nopes. Let go out and kill them so we can be safe.... OH PLEASE.... yea they instill terror so are they terrorist that we can go out there and kill them like..... like.. never mind.

The sharks lived in the oceans for millions of years its humans that are imposing their life styles on and innocent victim. all they want is to eat.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:10 AM

80 posts, read 194,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Well, this kind of explains why my girl friend got pregnant that year, and what happened to my drivers license, (sure, keep it IN the wallet), and the neighbors cocker spaniel, "I ALWAYS let her run on the beach!!!", as for my black cat??? Thought she had more sense, but, I think the neighbors cocker spaniel was behind the whole thing, tricky little buggers.....

Finformation: Items Found in the Stomachs of Tiger Sharks

Uuuurrrrrppppp,,,, nope, that didn't taste good
Its cause tiger sharks are retarded =P

Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 AM

242 posts, read 390,694 times
With all the turbid water from today's rain and strong swell, I wonder if Tony the Tiger Shark will pay a visit to any humans in the water.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKWC View Post
With all the turbid water from today's rain and strong swell, I wonder if Tony the Tiger Shark will pay a visit to any humans in the water.
With expected swells of 50' on Oahu's North Shore, and wild wind conditions, there probably won't be a lot of humans in the water. Beaches are closed on North facing beaches in many places. Organizers canceled the The Eddie for this week.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,827,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Organizers canceled the The Eddie for this week.
The Eddie isn't canceled due to the wave heights or beaches closing for safety, in fact the 50' waves would normally make it a go - but the winds are so strong it isn't providing good surfing waves.

"We have taken all the time we can to assess the developments of the next big swell and it does not look favorable for us," said event organizer Glen Moncata. "The size is there, but the quality is not, due to strong, adverse winds."

50 foot waves expected in Hawaii, surf contest cancelled | TheCelebrityCafe.com

Old 01-22-2014, 04:47 PM

A second opinion...

Quote:
Beaches Closed For Safety

John Cummings, spokesman for the city Emergency Management Department, said volunteers began canvassing the shoreline on Oahu's North Shore this morning.State Civil Defense said there were no reports of damage on Kauai or Oahu today.

However, city Ocean Safety lifeguards put up yellow tape on North Shore beaches from Alii Beach near Haleiwa to Sunset Beach, warning people to stay out of the water.

"Nobody has any business in the ocean," said Ocean Safety Lt. John Hoogsteden.

"Giant breaking surf" and dangerous currents will make it extremely hazardous to approach the shoreline, according to officials at the National Weather Service.

BEACHES ARE CLOSED AS CROWDS AWAIT 'GIANT' SURF - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 01-23-2014, 02:41 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,827,729 times
I went to sunset beach late afternoon - no yellow tape, not closed, and the water looked more like the rapids than something one could surf.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I went to sunset beach late afternoon - no yellow tape, not closed, and the water looked more like the rapids than something one could surf.
Timing is everything!

Quote:
Biggest swell in a decade hits North Shore, threatens homes

Hunter Farr watched as water flooded the parking lot of Haleiwa Boat Harbor during Wednesday morning's high tide as the largest swell in a decade arrived on Oahu. Farr, 22, a commercial fisherman, said the water rose past his knees in the parking lot and came in surges as huge waves outside the jetty pushed excess water into the harbor. "It was crazy," said Farr, who returned to watch over his boat at the harbor during the second high tide Wednesday night. "I never seen it like that before. That was the highest."

The peak of the largest swell only began hitting Oahu's North Shore Wednesday afternoon, prolonging anxiety for some shoreline residents but building excitement for throngs of big-wave watchers.

The high-surf warning remains in effect through at least 6 a.m. Friday.

While awe-inspiring, the swells Wednesday were not pretty under a barrage of high winds.

Banzai Pipeline, famous for its tubes, was churning like a washing machine.

Waimea Bay experienced a set with 60-foot faces that surged through the park, said Shayne Enright, spokeswoman for city Emergency Medical Services.

"Basically no one was in the water," Enright said of the blown-out surf.

City Ocean Safety lifeguards strung yellow tape on North Shore beaches from Haleiwa Alii Beach Park to Sunset Beach with warnings to stay out of the water.

The gates to Waimea Bay parking lot and a nearby grassy area were closed after surf started rolling onto the grassy area. The state closed the beach park Tuesday night and was expected to keep it closed through today.

The high surf was being described by weather forecasters and emergency officials as a once-in-a-decade event made more hazardous by the duration (the time it takes for a wave to pass) and potential impact of the waves on the shorelines.

"The long duration means that ocean waters will pile up in the surf zone, allowing the larger waves to impact further into beach areas," Melvin Kaku, director for the Department of Emergency Management, said Wednesday afternoon as the peak of the largest swell was beginning to build."This battering effect can cause increased shoreline erosion and damage to homes and infrastructure as well as blocking coastal highways with sand, debris and water."

The erosion-plagued homeowners of Sunset Beach's Rocky Point managed to survive Wednesday's swells, but the fight to save their property isn't over.

"We're tired of it, but we can't give up," said Krystle Dombrowski, whose father owns two of the homes in jeopardy of falling into the ocean.

Dombrowski said she and her husband, Kenneth, came down to their Ke Nui Road rental homes Tuesday night to prepare for the big day.

"We've done all different kinds of things to try to prevent the waves from coming up here," she said. "Now we've just got to wait, watch and see what happens. There's not really much we can do."

At about 10:20 a.m. a particularly large wave claimed about half of the large plastic tarp that was put into place the night before to help protect the steep sandy slope in front of the Dombrowski homes.

A group of friends and neighbors leaped into action and 20 minutes later a new tarp was lowered over the scarp, the waves at times lapping dangerously close to the workers.

The Department of Health's Clean Water Branch has issued a brown water advisory for the Kihei area and Honokahua Bay on Maui.

Biggest swell in a decade hits North Shore, threatens homes Hawaii News, Honolulu, Honolulu News, Sports, Editorial, Features, Travel and Business - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - Hawaii Newspaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii