Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,317,297 times

Advertisements

Hawai'i has a terrible history with measles. In the early 1800s, before modern antibiotics were available, measles epidemics in the islands took the lives of as many as half the native population. They had no innate resistance to the disease, which can have deadly consequences if left untreated.

In the modern era, near universal vaccination in the US meant that measles stopped being a major concern, and it dropped off most peoples' radars as it seemed to approach extinction. But recently an unfortunate trend to skip measles vaccinations has intersected with reinfection vectors from parts of the world where the disease is still endemic, to reintroduce the disease to the islands. Hawai'i's Health Department is concerned...

Quote:
The state is concerned about the spread of measles after an Oahu infant contracted the highly contagious disease in the Philippines, and was infectious while traveling back to Honolulu and during visits to receive medical treatment.

The state Department of Health said Thursday afternoon that the child, who was not old enough to receive a vaccination against measles, is hospitalized and recovering.

"We are very concerned about the potential for additional cases of measles," said Dr. Sarah Y. Park, state epidemiologist. "This disease is so contagious that it will infect 90 percent of the contacts who are not immune. We urge people who suspect they have measles, that is, fever and widespread rash, to call their doctor right away and isolate themselves from others to help contain the spread of illness."

The health department said measles is spread by "direct contact with mucus from the nose and throat of an infected person and through the air by respiratory droplets," and is a risk to anyone who hasn't been vaccinated.

Complications of measles are pneumonia, inflammation of the brain (encephalitis), ear infections, diarrhea, and death, the health department said. Children younger than a year old, pregnant women, and anyone with a weakened immune system are most vulnerable.

According to the health department, the symptoms of measles generally begin about 14 days (range 7 to 21 days) after a person is infected and may include:

» Blotchy red rash
» Fever
» Cough
» Runny nose
» Red, watery eyes (conjunctivitis)
» Feeling run down, achy (malaise)
» Tiny white spots with bluish-white centers found inside the mouth (Koplik's spots--not always present)
- more-

Health department concerned about spread of measles - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 09:55 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,716,295 times
Good Thread Uncle D. I remember as a child flying back and forth from hawaii to mainland, i always got shots.

I also believe that there are some different shots that are needed just for Hawai'i? Not sure.

Heres some info Hawaii State Vaccine Requirements - National Vaccine Information Center

Old 02-14-2014, 11:24 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,089,781 times
TB is also a big concern here. Several places require a test prior to being able to start working. The state does free TB tests if anyone wants to get one.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:49 PM

67 posts, read 158,490 times
My 12 month old nephew had the measles last month, just before his scheduled vaccination. He has never been out of the country. Bless his heart, he was very ill. His Dr. said that it is a shame that so many parents are neglecting basic proven medical care by refusing immunizations for their children and making other children sick in the process.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,367,189 times
I had a secretary back in the 80's who had just moved from the Philippines. It wasn't measles, but she contracted Chicken Pox. It almost killed her. She was in her early 30's and had not had anything like it before. If you are new to the US and have never had the vaccination - measles and chickenpox need to be high on your list. If you HAVE had chickenpox and are nearing or past your 60's - get the Shingles vaccine. Trust me on this one. It's a nightmare!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:24 PM

431 posts, read 936,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
I had a secretary back in the 80's who had just moved from the Philippines. It wasn't measles, but she contracted Chicken Pox. It almost killed her. She was in her early 30's and had not had anything like it before. If you are new to the US and have never had the vaccination - measles and chickenpox need to be high on your list. If you HAVE had chickenpox and are nearing or past your 60's - get the Shingles vaccine. Trust me on this one. It's a nightmare!
If immigrants come here legally there is a big list of vaccinations that they must have before they'll be allowed to come to the U.S., including measles and chickenpox.
And yeah....shingles is a b***h!!

CDC - Revised Vaccination Criteria, Immigration - FAQ - Immigrant and Refugee Health

Old 02-19-2014, 09:27 PM

43 posts, read 55,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
If immigrants come here legally
What about the other ones? And what about "tourists"?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:37 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,716,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
If immigrants come here legally there is a big list of vaccinations that they must have before they'll be allowed to come to the U.S., including measles and chickenpox.
And yeah....shingles is a b***h!!

CDC - Revised Vaccination Criteria, Immigration - FAQ - Immigrant and Refugee Health
Since your a nurse? If i remember correctly, wasn't there a shot for clear water? Because in Hawai'i there are parasites in the clear water(streams,waterfalls) that make you really sick?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 AM

681 posts, read 1,200,028 times
My son will be attending UHM starting in August and he wasn't even allowed to complete the registration process without having proof that he has received his measles immunization, as well as TB screening.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:57 AM

43 posts, read 55,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
My son will be attending UHM starting in August and he wasn't even allowed to complete the registration process without having proof that he has received his measles immunization, as well as TB screening.
Yes, most colleges and universities have such controls in place, although people are permitted to 'opt out' of them, as the Berkeley student did.

I have another question: how can you tell if you have immunity? I presume I was vaccinated as a child but have no idea if I had a booster (which in recent years has become required). How can you tell? I don't think I ever had measles but my parents are no longer living so I can't ask them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii