Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 04:47 PM

74 posts, read 333,841 times

Advertisements

One consideration is to explore within yourself what compels you more---EMS or Fire, and finish what training you started before moving on to another profession. EMS training in the U.S. can be vastly different depending on what state you are in, and academically and real-life speaking, tends to be the more difficult profession to excel in due to the diagnostic challenges in the field and the demands of decision-making on the paramedic (lots of times it's just you making the call, and sometimes it's hard to know if you made the right one.) EMS jobs are easier to find in HI, especially Oahu and the Big Island, but it would be better if you got your training here. Reciprocity is entirely achievable and not as difficult as it was before, but the local performance and knowledge expectations are quite high. Fire jobs are difficult to get just about anywhere, but their training is more standardized nationwide, so getting your FF certification and training where you are would probably be perfectly OK.

Flight medics and RNs are required to have years of field and/or hospital experience. The 2 fixed-wing services, AMR Air and HI Life Flight, use configurations of either 2 RNs or 1 RN and 1 MICT.

Good luck w/ your education and career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 10:49 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
All very good posts above for you to follow. Just slow down Kenny2014 and complete your training first that you have started, and go from there. You sound like you have a good start and plan. I’m sure you will be successful in the end.
Best of luck in your endeavor.
Scott

Old 03-05-2014, 12:14 AM

15 posts, read 54,327 times
Aloha, I worked as a Paramedic / Firefighter for six years on the big island before moving to Portland in 1999. I'm still doing the job but here on the mainland now. As has been recommended, it would probably be a good idea to finish what you've started. Testing with multiple departments is always good experience until you can test with the dept. you're really trying to get hired by. The more experience with testing and interviews the better. I'm under the impression you have to be a Hawaii resident for one year before you're eligible to get hired in Hawaii, I could be wrong.

As for Paramedic or Mobile Intensive Care Technician (MICT) as it is known in the islands. Kapiolani community college has a good but competitive program and UH Hilo also has a good program. Coming from Hawaii to the mainland I had to pass a National Registry exam as well as a state exam here in Oregon. I believe it would be the same if you move from the mainland to Hawaii.

The island of O'ahu is covered by Honolulu city and county EMS. Big island was the only Fire dept. providing ambulance transport when I left.

Good Luck.

Hawaii EMS Licensing Requirements and Exam Data for Paramedics and EMT Candidates

Emergency Medical Services, Official Web Site for The City and County of Honolulu

Old 04-28-2014, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,705 times
Kenny,
I have start this process about a month ago to get reciprocity from the Oregon to Hawaii, I have not heard from Hawaii yet. Here's the starting points. NREMT (paramedic) in good standing, State of Oregon in good standing, the school you will or already have attended. I went to Oregon Health and Sciences University / Oregon Tech's Paramedic Program. I had more than the required hours for Hawaii.

Now it's the waiting game and see how many hoops can we make this Medic jump thru before give him the Hawaii state license.

Good luck your career choice.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,705 times
Well since my post back in April, I got my Hawaii Paramedic. It took 5 months for me to get it. I have heard it taking 1.5 years to jump thru the Hawaii hoops. I had a very quick time at this. Good luck to all.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,084 times
Hey Smokey, congratulations on getting your cert for Hawaii!
Could you go more in depth of additional schooling needed ect. for such a transfer? Much like the original poster i am also wondering if it would be less of a headache to just go to school there instead of finishing it here. I just finished EMT-B this month and I start medic school Jan. 17th here.. Trying to figure out the best route.. Thanks in advance and good luck on your ventures in Hawaii!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii