Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 01:22 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
............. "living on the beach in a grass hut supported by a part time bar tending job" ...........
I just decided that sounds pretty good.

I think it would work better if I owned the bar. The beach lots in Puna in the path of the current lava flow are dropping in price, so the beach front lot is possible.

I wonder if there are still craftsmen in Hawaii who can build a grass hut? Which brings up the question, did the native population of Hawaii ever really live in grass huts?

I don't want to eat fish, but I wouldn't mind planting a few coconut trees.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I wonder if there are still craftsmen in Hawaii who can build a grass hut? Which brings up the question, did the native population of Hawaii ever really live in grass huts?
Indeed they did. This architectural site has a historic photo of one, and a description, including that they were made from a variety of thatching materials, including "sweet-smelling pili grass."

Architecture - Hawaii History - Architecture

The wild thing is that the Hawai'i County building code still provides for a special permit to build these... but there has to be a tie-in to a historical display or cultural event.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:10 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
There ya go, Oregonwoodsmoke, a cultural tiki bar and a legally permitted grass hut! Woot! Add in a luau and you're golden! It might actually work in Puna since land is cheap enough there you'd be able to pay for it before starting. If everything is paid for, you don't need to make as much to live on.

Hmm, betcha it's easier to get a permit to build a grass hut than it is to get a permit to sell liquor, though. Ah, but what about okolehau? If you're gonna have a culturally correct grass hut, you need culturally correct moonshine, right? That stuff has a kick to it and is particularly good if you serve it in pineapples.

Wonder what sort of permits are necessary to make okolehau? You'd need to grow a pile of ti plants.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:43 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Closed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii