Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What items should I stock up on?
Paper goods 2 18.18%
Liquor 4 36.36%
Canned Food 4 36.36%
Pasta 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:15 PM

46 posts, read 79,770 times

Advertisements

I AM moving to Honolulu at the end of August.

I rented a 20 foot shipping container from Matson but my goods only fill about 15 feet.

My question is this: What should I stock up on ? Please no jokes about illegal substances.

I'm only shipping my goods, no cars, kids or pets. Moving from Boston where it's just about as expensive as Hawaii. I have been to Hawaii many times so I'm familiar with both the pluses and minuses.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
We have the same goods in Honolulu as you would find in Boston - except for the snowblowers, winter clothes, etc.

You don't need to stock up on anything.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:26 PM

Default No price arbitrage?

Bargains abound on the mainland not so in Honolulu. I realize the weather is different but so are the prices. Like I said price arbitrage...

Old 07-31-2014, 12:42 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Where are you going to put all that once you get it to Hawaii?

If you did want to stock up, something dense and heavy might be something to consider since shipping is the most expensive on that sort of thing.

Which island? That makes a difference, too. You could possibly take orders on Craig's List for cases of foods. Make a list of what you can get at a good rate (maybe inquire with a food wholesaler) and then stack them up in your container. You could probably always sell cases of Spam if you had them available.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:51 PM

Thanks for getting back with me. I moving to Honolulu, somewhere between Hawaii Kai and Kakaaco.

I hear you about heavy stuff. I was just thinking of food and stuff for myself. Don't really want to hawk cases of Spam at the market in Aloha Stadium.

Kinda reluctant to advertise on CL. Been selling a lot of stuff in Boston on CL prior to the move and meet some real different folks. Don't want to pick up somebody's weed stash for them in Southie.

Gonna rent a 1-2 bedroom condo and store the surplus in the spare bedroom. Gives me an excuse why I can't have relatives visit Hawaii and stay with me.

Last edited by Bert Adams; 07-31-2014 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-31-2014, 01:31 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
I suggest stocking up on long shelf life canned food. If you buy bottled water, you could throw in 10 or 20 cases. Both of those types of items will be available in Hawaii, but they will be more expensive than buying on the mainland and shipping for 'free' in your extra space.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:35 PM

I hadn't thought about the water. I use Poland Springs in Boston because while the water is OK the city pipes are 200 years old and filled with drek.

Canned goods makes sense as well.

Thanks

Old 07-31-2014, 02:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Keep in mind you can't just load up on alcohol - the limit to ship is 5 gallons (19 liters) and you are supposed to get a permit. You can ask the liquor commission for an exception to the limit, but you'll need to convince them this is really part of your household goods - and not purchased for the sole reason of not buying that liquor in Hawaii.

Also keep in mind shipping containers that are not climate controlled can reach temperatures of up to 135F - so, be careful what canned goods you try to bring. Given the temperatures a container can reach, I wouldn't even consider wine.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:26 PM

I hear you about the temperature. I wasn't going to bring any wine or beer. I plan on drinking only local brew when I get there.

Mmmmm Long Board.

I was thinking hard liquor and 5 gallons is more than I drink in a couple of years so I should be under the limit.

Thanks for confirming what I thought.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:38 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Aloha,

This is off topic and just a suggestion. We focus way to much on material stuff to be happy and successful, understandly so because things are expensive. But really you should bring an attitude of wonder that your moving to a new wonderful gorgeous place. You should bring an attitude of im living for today because its alot slower in pace in Hawaii and you will have more joy this way. You should bring an attitude of kindness, friendship and sharing(Aloha) towards others because you will be living on an island and this for the most part is the way people live. Learn to adapt to different cultures and learn to live with less because, life is just to short and you don't want to miss paradise by chasing the Jones. You live by this thinking and i promise you success.

Sure life is free choice, you can chase the jones and have everything in Hawaii material wise and be very unhappy. Got a few examples on CDF Hawaii of that. Good luck and Aloha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii