Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 04:28 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,245,953 times

Advertisements

hello everyone.

ive been to hawaii once and i stayed in oahu. i went all around the island and loved it.

my favorite beach there was Sunset Beach in the northern part of the island: clean sand, not crowded, amazing ocean water (no trash/sea weed/etc), and very good waves. THE perfect spot to relax and enjoy the water.

i had a couple of questions. my family is looking to buy a 1 or 2 bedroom condo as a vacation home.

the first thing is, we are not sure which island. im looking to visit Kauai in the beginning of 2015.

my first question is, which island do you think has the best beaches? now, what i consider "best" is probably very different than a lot of people. if you do a random search online about the best beaches in hawaii, you're gonna see Waikiki there....which i would not consider good.

basically, what island do you think has the most "sunset beach" look alike beaches in hawaii?

for some reason I was thinking about Maui and Kauai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 05:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,891,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

my first question is, which island do you think has the best beaches? now, what i consider "best" is probably very different than a lot of people. if you do a random search online about the best beaches in hawaii, you're gonna see Waikiki there....which i would not consider good.

basically, what island do you think has the most "sunset beach" look alike beaches in hawaii?

for some reason I was thinking about Maui and Kauai.
It is hard to beat the beaches on Maui and Oahu. On Maui would be the best bet for "sunset" as the prime beaches are the south side of the island - On Oahu, besides the world famous North Shore beaches - you also have a very long shoreline in Kailua, where Lanikai is often an award winning beach. You also have Sandy's on the East Side as an expansive beach.

The Big Island isn't really known as a beach destination - and there are some good beaches on Kauai but you'd have to decide if an island with 70,000 total residents wouldn't be overly quiet.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:29 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
Big Island is out, not many "sunset" type beaches there, especially beaches with condos.

Oahu, of course, has the nice beaches and they'd be beaches with condos nearby. Kauai has some, Maui has some, too. Molokai has a few, but not with condos nearby that I know of, but my knowledge of Molokai is very limited. Ditto for Lanai.

So, that pretty much limits your search to Oahu, Kauai and Maui. After you visit Kauai, you'll have to schedule a visit to Maui!

Old 08-03-2014, 07:51 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,813,670 times
YoungTraveler2011, it might help if you describe what you would like to have close by to the beach you are asking about. For example, there are amazing beaches on the west end of Molokaʻi and yes there are condos. However, there really isn't much of anything else. Also, what kind of beach activities are you into? Snorkeling? Surfing? Kayaking? Fishing? etc...

Old 08-03-2014, 07:54 PM

25 posts, read 32,610 times
Maui has some beautiful beaches but they can be really windy. If you prefer not to be 'sandblasted' all the time, Oahu beaches are better. I polled my parents, who have lived both on Oahu and on Maui. They agree that Oahu has the best beaches...so many to choose from! (They also think that Oahu has the best food!)

Aloha & Good luck!

Old 08-03-2014, 10:42 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,245,953 times
thanks for the replies all.

after much research I have come narrowed down to Oahu.

now i'm having a debate with my dad about location.

i told him that since this will be a vacation condo:

1. we dont need amenities (pool, gym, etc.)
2. we want something as cheap as possible while being in a safe area
3. i told him that ideally, we should stay roughly in the MIDDLE of the island. why you might ask? well because then we are less than an hour to any places on the entire island. not only that but im ASSUMING it would be cheaper than being at the coasts. I was looking around the Mililani area but i dont know it. i dont even know if there's condos there.

can anyone give me some tips on cheap areas of Oahu that have simple condos?

im really open to any area of the island as long as its safe.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:55 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,298,706 times
Try a search site like this....

Oahu Homes For Sale | Oahu Real Estate | Honolulu Board Of REALTORS®

Neighborhood Search For Sale | Property Search | Hawaii Real Estate | Honolulu Board of REALTORS®

Old 08-04-2014, 12:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,891,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

now i'm having a debate with my dad about location.

i told him that since this will be a vacation condo:

1. we dont need amenities (pool, gym, etc.)
2. we want something as cheap as possible while being in a safe area
3. i told him that ideally, we should stay roughly in the MIDDLE of the island. why you might ask? well because then we are less than an hour to any places on the entire island. not only that but im ASSUMING it would be cheaper than being at the coasts. I was looking around the Mililani area but i dont know it. i dont even know if there's condos there.

can anyone give me some tips on cheap areas of Oahu that have simple condos?
Cheap can be mighty elusive. Personally, I'd focus my hunt around Hawaii Kai, lot's of condo's and definitely cheaper than somewhere like Waikiki. You'll be minutes from Sandy Beach and 30 minutes to Kailua beaches. There is also a new condo development in in Kailua, although they might already be sold out.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:24 PM

91 posts, read 214,695 times
It would be helpful to know what is your budget...

Old 08-11-2014, 03:28 AM

7 posts, read 10,210 times
Maui has some beautiful beaches,i like them !http://weber.ninecomputer.com/1.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: