Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 06:24 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times

Advertisements

Many people feel lethargic just from humidity alone, which is not usually present in SoCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:37 PM

25 posts, read 32,626 times
I was going to say the same thing as nightlysparrow. When you're not used to the humidity, it can really drain you. I've lived here for 25 years and I always feel like I have more energy when we get to the mainland and I'm in the dry mountain air of Truckee, CA (where we have a condo). Make sure you're staying well-hydrated.

That's too bad about the allergies and asthma, as well. My daughter had childhood asthma growing up here (her pediatrician said that Hawaii has one of the highest rates of childhood asthma), partially due to cane burning here on Maui, vog from the Big Island, and ubiquitous presence of dust mites (which thrive in humidity). I also have a friend who moved here from California and she developed asthma, just like you. She doesn't go anywhere without her inhaler!

I do know people, though, whose allergies and migraines clear right up once they move here. I think everyone's body has a different reaction to climates, vegetation, etc. Sorry I don't have a solution for you, but I do hope that you'll slowly start to feel better. If the water makes you feel better, definitely spend more time in the water! See a good allergist and get yourself an inhaler for the asthma. Maybe your body will start to adapt.

Much aloha to you...

Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 PM

8 posts, read 8,724 times
Not worse...better.

My blood pressure back on Cape Cod was typically 130/90 to 125/80.

In the past year on Maui my BP has been ringing up at 117/80 to 112/74.

This island lifestyle is very soothing. Thank you fellow islanders for your Aloha attitude.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:08 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,533,643 times
I feel worse physically, I'm pretty sure due to allergies. I lived in the Pacific Northwest and a desert climate and in both places, while my allergies (mostly hayfever) were present, they were significantly less severe than in Hawaii (where I live now and where I grew up). I think I'm allergic to mold, dust, and pollen so Hawaii is terrible for those kinds of things. I don't even get affected by the vog either, pretty much every day I have a stuffy nose. I think it's actually pretty common for those with allergies to find Hawaii's environment makes them more severe.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:51 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
I think that when someone moves to a new place it can be really hard on their body. I grew up in Hawaii with NO allergies or asthma but when I am on the mainland (KY and Alabama I have to use an inhaler and a nebulizer and have had to go to the ER because I just could not breathe).

I hope that you are able to get a handle on your issues.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:57 PM

25 posts, read 59,585 times
Sorry to hear about your symptoms. With a lot of the vog here on the Big Island, many of those already living here have developed breathing problems and I assume the same of those who moved recently. I always feel better when I leave the state, no/less allergies, easier time wearing my contracts, overall feel healthier even if I'm away for only a week. Living in Hawaii isn't for everyone I guess, but I would have to say the same for myself.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:09 AM

521 posts, read 733,442 times
Thank you I really hope to adapt! But I'm now surprised hearing how many people notice the difference in breathing between here and the mainland.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:51 AM

55 posts, read 70,087 times
Just before my vacation to Hawaii this past April I'd been saddled with a month-long bronchitis episode. Never experienced this in my life, it was awful. I was nervous about the change in air and climate from our sunny/dry Las Vegas.

Surprisingly, I didn't need my inhaler or meds once in Hawaii. We spent time on both Oahu and Maui, and my breathing was completely under control.

Maybe I was already getting better, who knows? But I can say for sure the islands didn't make anything worse.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Due

245 posts, read 380,186 times
My wife and I were born, raised, and lived the majority of our lives in Houston, TX and Bay Area Houston.
The humidity was considerably higherften 90-100% along with 100*+ days.
That's much worse than Hawaii. There was smog, but one of the problems was soot from chemical plants in the area; black dust on roofs, driveways, anything left outside and it was inhaled when breathing.
Allergies are prevalent because of soot, but also Cedar trees, which spread pollen this causes many problems. My wife used to sneeze constantly and I would get bloody nose.
There is humidity and VOG in Hawaii, but now sneezing once a day and zero bloody nose.

Allergies vary with climates and people, in my opinion.
Regardless, we choose Hawaii.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:24 AM

7 posts, read 10,224 times
I feel pretty good, I might move oftenhttp://weber.ninecomputer.com/1.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: