Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 06:57 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,795 times

Advertisements

I used to be hapa. Hapa white and hapa brown. After spending the last couple weeks on Maui and going to Little Beach, I'm now 100% red.

Seriously though, it got REALLY hot for a few days while we were on the Wailea & Makena side of Maui!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 07:04 PM

133 posts, read 182,380 times
Yes. The rays here are brutal. Always wear SPF, even on cloudy days. It doesn't take long.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:16 PM

91 posts, read 117,704 times
I am unaware that the sun can be dangerous i n Hawaii. I pictured it as a perfect climate. How true is this?

Old 10-12-2014, 07:22 PM

189 posts, read 260,665 times
We are all sharing the same sun which can be dangereus everywere if exposed for too long without protection.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:57 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Take a look at the map. The islands are near the equator. The equator get almost the same sun all year long it does not have seasons like you are used to. The equator is closer to the sun than the tops of the earth. Closer to the sun means summer all year long and hotter sun.

The climate is perfect in my opinion. Just be sure to put some sunscreen on.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:29 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
Sun is not quite as direct at noon now that it's passed to the south (opposite side of the equator). Do people who don't protect themselves from the sun this time of year...october ....still subject to ruined Hawaii trips?

Is it reasonable to assume the mid-day sun is still very dangerous without shade and SPF?
Actually I'm wondering about December and the sun even though I haven't thought of this. I'll be visiting in December. I read that South Point on the Big Island, the southernmost point in the entire US, is only 90 miles south of Key West, Florida and is actually north of Cancun, Mexico which I've visited in the summer. Now with posts like this I'm wondering is the sun in Hawaii is even stronger than that in Cancun or South Florida? Or the desert in Nevada and Utah? I got slightly burned in Cancun (which has much hotter weather than Hawaii) but it wasn't bad.

And not related to the sun but I happen to have a weird question that "fair skin" people would be more likely to ask even though I am Asian American. I live in southern West Virginia where the rebel flag is considered acceptable by the majority of the people who live here and myself and many of my close friends (including another non-white person) have it. My only pair of swim pants has the rebel colors on them and I'm wondering if I should buy a new pair. We do not see it at a symbol of racism and like I said many of my closest friends have it too. It just shows that we are proud of our history and of living in a rural area.

I would think it would be very cool to wear the Southern colors to the southernmost point in America. When me and one of my friends visited the southernmost point in the 48 states in Key West we had rebel shirts on to go with the southern theme. Will this be a problem in Hawaii? Do y'all see the rebel flag as fighting words? Or is Hawaii is more like the Midwest and Mountain states where the Civil War isn't thought of much at all and nobody cares either way?

Old 10-14-2014, 02:38 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'll be visiting in December. I read that South Point on the Big Island, the southernmost point in the entire US, is only 90 miles south of Key West, Florida and is actually north of Cancun, Mexico which I've visited in the summer. Now with posts like this I'm wondering is the sun in Hawaii is even stronger than that in Cancun or South Florida? Or the desert in Nevada and Utah?
Hawaii is roughly the same latitude as Cancun Mexico, 21 degrees North of the Equator - and both are definitely farther south than Key West.

You will burn without sunscreen in December depending on your tolerance and how long you are in the sun.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:25 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Quote:
I would think it would be very cool to wear the Southern colors to the southernmost point in America. When me and one of my friends visited the southernmost point in the 48 states in Key West we had rebel shirts on to go with the southern theme. Will this be a problem in Hawaii?
I guess that would depend upon how many local folks you run into on the Big Island who are in favor of slavery. My guess is you won't find many.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:07 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
And not related to the sun but I happen to have a weird question that "fair skin" people would be more likely to ask even though I am Asian American. I live in southern West Virginia where the rebel flag is considered acceptable by the majority of the people who live here and myself and many of my close friends (including another non-white person) have it. My only pair of swim pants has the rebel colors on them and I'm wondering if I should buy a new pair. We do not see it at a symbol of racism and like I said many of my closest friends have it too. It just shows that we are proud of our history and of living in a rural area.

I would think it would be very cool to wear the Southern colors to the southernmost point in America. When me and one of my friends visited the southernmost point in the 48 states in Key West we had rebel shirts on to go with the southern theme. Will this be a problem in Hawaii? Do y'all see the rebel flag as fighting words? Or is Hawaii is more like the Midwest and Mountain states where the Civil War isn't thought of much at all and nobody cares either way?
Yes, buy a great looking looking Hawaiian swim suit as soon as you get here. Why would you want to wear something that tags you as a clueless tourist, when you could wear something cool that everybody back home will be jealous of?

As far as wearing the Confederate battle flag, I think it's time for you to realize that for many people, in every part of the country today, it is an offensive symbol of slavery and white racism... yes, even in the South... and it is time to relegate them all to the museums and history books. And since Hawai'i is such a melting pot of people from all over, I'd say the odds are high that you'll offend somebody if you wear the rebel colors.

Not to mention, the mere idea of a person of Asian heritage identifying with that tragic chapter of our national history just seems very weird to me.

Better to get a new swim suit of Da Local Kine...

Old 10-14-2014, 12:15 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,516 times
I lived in the south for a 'spell', not offended by the confederate flag, but I agree with OpenD....go to T&C and get a pair of Billabong board shorts with the hawaiian flag, or the island chain on them. Something to enjoy when you return home and swim there. The board shorts sold here are made of materials that hold up great in water and the ocean. You'll be very comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: