Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 05:02 PM

749 posts, read 852,626 times

Advertisements

Since this GMO issue was just recently voted on (in Maui at least), thought this may be of interest since we have a Starbucks on every corner here.

I have boycotted them for years after stuff they did in Guatemala in the 1980's, glad to see more people may now that there is yet another reason to pass them up.

Neil Young Announces Starbucks Boycott : People.com

Oh, for those that do not like forum links: "Starbucks has teamed up with Monsanto to sue Vermont, and stop accurate food labeling."

Last edited by tdr22; 11-16-2014 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: accomodate the paranoid

Old 11-16-2014, 05:16 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
One on every corner? I've got to get out more. Their coffee SUCKS! Do yourself a favor, buy a coffee roaster.

Aloha

Old 11-16-2014, 05:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
And why the heck don't folks embrace GMO - think eradication of polio in the US.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:30 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
One on every corner? I've got to get out more. Their coffee SUCKS! Do yourself a favor, buy a coffee roaster.

Aloha
One in every corner? Maybe whtwiper is correct. Thats no different then here?

Old 11-16-2014, 05:36 PM

749 posts, read 852,626 times
Corn has been a GMO for many, many decades, etc, etc. This was not really meant to be an anti-GMO post or even anti-Monsanto post, just my hopes at getting Starbucks out for yet another reason but I am For product Labeling, I like to know Exactly what poisons taste the best!

Oh gee sorry there HBH, you are on my ignore list so I may have repeated what you said, boo hoo.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Just to counter the provocative title, I think everyone should read this article about a huge new study just published by researchers at UC Davis. This clearly demonstrates why GMO labeling is unnecessary, and why the whole anti-GMO frenzy needs to just come to an end now.

The Debate About GMO Safety Is Over, Thanks To A New Trillion-Meal Study - Forbes

As far as criticism of the enormously successful Starbucks chain because "their coffee sucks," it reminds me of that old quote about a popular watering hole, attributed to Casey Stengel: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's always too crowded."

Old 11-16-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
Corn has been a GMO for many, many decades, etc, etc. This was not really meant to be an anti-GMO post or even anti-Monsanto post, just my hopes at getting Starbucks out for yet another reason but I am For product Labeling, I like to know Exactly what poisons taste the best!

Oh gee sorry there HBH, you are on my ignore list so I may have repeated what you said, boo hoo.
Sure it was, but heck i know the deal here. Some politics is ok. At least im not in denial. But being born and raised in Hawaii, it would be nice to read my home forum and not daily bs about mainland politics and peoples vision of a mainlandified hawaiian paradise. For once it would be nice to hear about the real hawaii.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:46 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Just to counter the provocative title, I think everyone should read this article about a huge new study just published by researchers at UC Davis. This clearly demonstrates why GMO labeling is unnecessary, and why the whole anti-GMO frenzy needs to just come to an end now.

The Debate About GMO Safety Is Over, Thanks To A New Trillion-Meal Study - Forbes

As far as criticism of the enormously successful Starbucks chain because "their coffee sucks," it reminds me of that old quote about a popular watering hole, attributed to Casey Stengel: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's always too crowded."

I take it you don't roast your own coffee? In which case, your ignorance is my bliss.

I'll have a triple crappacino with extra frappe and some SPAM sprinkles on top

http://www.quora.com/What-do-profess...-their-success

Old 11-16-2014, 08:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I take it you don't roast your own coffee? In which case, your ignorance is my bliss.

I'll have a triple crappacino with extra frappe and some SPAM sprinkles on top

What do professional coffee tasters think of Starbucks coffee in general and about their success? - Quora
Your aim is off. I never said I liked Starbucks, I simply said that an awful lot of people do. I was living in Seattle not long after there were only 2 locations, and was there when the Starbucks cart on the sidewalk outside the flagship Nordstrom store break a million dollar gross annual sales. And I was there when they hung the mermaid logo, the old one that showed her breasts, on the former Sears distribution center as their rocket ship took off.

Meanwhile, I always preferred Stewart Brothers House Blend myself, (then renamed Seattle's Best, then renamed SBC, now owned by Starbucks as a lower priced grocery store blend), for the all day everyday brewed coffee pot, but favored fresh ground Pegasus Coffee City Roast, roasted on Vashon Island, for the finest cup, to be savored with an unrushed breakfast. It's common insider knowledge that Starbuck's started business in Seattle selling coffee from Peet's in San Francisco. Then when they started roasting their own, they copied (an overly polite term) the "2nd crack" style that Pegasus had popularized as City Roast... darker than medium roast, not as dark as dark roast, as their signature style, as they introduced the country to the joys of espresso brewed coffee drinks.

Since I only ever drink coffee black, no sugar, I'm immune to all the Pumpkin Spice Mocha Latte nonsense.

I could roast my own if i wanted to. I have done. But with all my varied interests and endeavors, I can't be bothered to do everything myself, so I'm happy to have others do for me. My current fave is a dark roast from Pahala - Moa'ula Ka'u Cloud Rest Coffee.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:23 PM

Isnt it funny alot of people in hawaii are drinking starbucks coffee, but i just love kona blend coffee. But its difficult to find a true blend that isnt mixed with something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: