Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Other than being useful to teach the mathematical concept of "fractions" to elementary school students, the whole "blood quantum" thing is kind of silly.
I don't even think it is good for that, because when we get into the science of genetics, it definitely doesn't work that way. In a family with four kids you can easily have one that favors the appearance of the father, on that favors the mother, one that looks like a mix of the two, and one that looks like neither... and every other combination thereof. And the same is true of every other genetic characteristic you can name.

Where that notion comes from, it seems to me, is the laws of inheritance, which split up estate property by arithmetic rules. Without a will, all the kids get the same share of the ranch, whether they have Poppa's red hair or not...

Old 12-16-2014, 12:39 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Asians and Asian restaurants in Hawaii do not make for "Asian Culture".....It just makes for more Asian restaurants than somewhere like say, Wichita Kansas.

All those Japanese tourists who come to Hawaii - they are coming for good ole USA Western Culture. They come for the weather and a tourist industry of language speakers, dedicated tour groups, and food they are comfortable with. But make no mistake about it - they want a decidedly American/Western Culture experience complete with a USA shopping experience.

Give me some tall buildings with lots of neon, having to do calisthenics before starting work, a bunch of bowing, wearing skinny ties with white shirts at work, slipping into a kimono when I get home, and greeting you with a big konnichiwa everyday - then we can get on the Asian Culture bandwagon. I can't even find a pachinko parlor here so I can win some money!

Old 12-16-2014, 01:05 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times
@JonahK

Yes the blood quorum thing is silly, for what part of you or me is native? Is it our pinky, or our left foot? Or our left side?

Old 12-16-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Im sorry i have a real issue with this nothing is unique culture wise and we are all one race stuff.
As someone who has more than 40 years of actual "boots-on-the-ground" practical work to end racism, to end gender inequality, to end hunger on the planet, to end prejudice against homosexuals and AIDS patients, to promote economic fairness, and other matters of social justice, I am offended that you are once again trying to twist the discussion here to fit your personal agenda.

The topic is "How Asian is the culture of Hawai'i?"

Nobody said "nothing is unique culture wise." To the contrary, we've said the opposite, that there are many unique cultures which come together in Hawai'i, and retain their distinct characteristics even as they mix together. That's the "salad bowl" effect we've talked about.

Quote:
1) It doesn't solve anything, in fact it keeps us from discussing what real issues are. Often used as a way to deflect looking at inequalities.
Speak for yourself, hopefully in a different thread.

I've found the discussion of the scientific basis for declaring that we are not only a single race, but closely related (as shown by the latest genetic research, we are all descendents of one small group of about 200 people in the distant past... plus all men on the planet have a single, shared male ancestor... and all women on the planet have a single shared female ancestor) is the most powerful way to access people's true compassion for others.

We're all just a giant extended family, so why WOULDN'T we want to make sure everyone is fed, and has a safe place to sleep, etc.

And no, to a large extent we don't act consistently with those facts... which is where the real work lies.

Last edited by OpenD; 12-16-2014 at 01:25 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Asians and Asian restaurants in Hawaii do not make for "Asian Culture".....It just makes for more Asian restaurants than somewhere like say, Wichita Kansas.

All those Japanese tourists who come to Hawaii - they are coming for good ole USA Western Culture. They come for the weather and a tourist industry of language speakers, dedicated tour groups, and food they are comfortable with. But make no mistake about it - they want a decidedly American/Western Culture experience complete with a USA shopping experience.

Give me some tall buildings with lots of neon, having to do calisthenics before starting work, a bunch of bowing, wearing skinny ties with white shirts at work, slipping into a kimono when I get home, and greeting you with a big konnichiwa everyday - then we can get on the Asian Culture bandwagon. I can't even find a pachinko parlor here so I can win some money!
Oahu used to have pachinko machines everywhere when i lived there. Wonder why they don't have today?

Old 12-16-2014, 01:37 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Oahu used to have pachinko machines everywhere when i lived there. Wonder why they don't have today?
Probably were cracked down upon due to no gambling.

I remember the first time I went to a Pachinko Parlor in Tokyo - I thought it was a game just for fun. Like a video game parlor. Then tray after tray after tray of the little steel balls came out. So many trays I couldn't even carry them. I finally got bored and was ready to go and a manager gathers up all the trays and asks me to follow him. I go up this hidden and dimly lit staircase and they are putting the trays on a scale....and lots of money was exchanged back to me.

Did not know until later - cash exchange wasn't legal but it happens all the time.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:57 PM

@OpenD

The topic is "How Asian is the culture of Hawai'i?" So how is "I've found the discussion of the scientific basis for declaring that we are not only a single race, but closely related (as shown by the latest genetic research, we are all descendents of one small group of about 200 people in the distant past... plus all men on the planet have a single, shared male ancestor... and all women on the planet have a single shared female ancestor) is the most powerful way to access people's true compassion for others." or "And since scientifically we are all members of the same race, the human race, and old fashioned ideas that we're separate races have been thoroughly disproven" and hopefully we can soon stop dividing people by how they look." And other quotes on this thread have anything to do with the topic of the thread? What personal agenda? Its in the respect for our diversity and difference that is anti-racism. Not the assimilation of all cultures, races etc to be one that you appear to support?

Old 12-16-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Probably were cracked down upon due to no gambling.

I remember the first time I went to a Pachinko Parlor in Tokyo - I thought it was a game just for fun. Like a video game parlor. Then tray after tray after tray of the little steel balls came out. So many trays I couldn't even carry them. I finally got bored and was ready to go and a manager gathers up all the trays and asks me to follow him. I go up this hidden and dimly lit staircase and they are putting the trays on a scale....and lots of money was exchanged back to me.

Did not know until later - cash exchange wasn't legal but it happens all the time.
I remember playing pachinko as a kid in Hawaii it is fun. Let get back on topic. I can't afford to get nailed with thread hijacking. Further, i can see comming from japan etc that hawaii wouldn't appear asian in culture you made your point. But imagine being in Portland Or or the midwest? Hawaii would appear to be foriegn country in some respects.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Its in the respect for our diversity and difference that is anti-racism.
Exactly what I do and say... we are all one extended family, with an infinite variety of expressions. Even within a single "culture" there are an infinite variety of personal expressions. We are all one, and paradoxically we are all different.

Quote:
Not the assimilation of all cultures, races etc to be one that you appear to support?
And in this assessment, you are exactly dead wrong. It's a mistake you have made over and over here. I'm really sorry after all this time you still haven't learned to tell us apart.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:56 PM

749 posts, read 852,331 times
A few Asian foods and products in stores like Longs and Walmart that you might not find in most mainland stores, the removing shoes thing, where I live is mostly due to the type of dirt, ground lava rock/dust, cane burn residue, etc that is really hard to clean off rugs and nice flooring. Asian 'culture', not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: