Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h58867 View Post
I know I should have decided by now, with only 6 weeks left. Here's a little info:

My best friend moved to Maui 4 months ago, loves it. She got a job in about a month for a storage place, and makes $15 an hour. She came with only $3000, found a room on craigslist before she came, and bought a car for $1000 right away. I had no intention on moving until things started to go downhill for me in LA. I am in real estate, and the market really sucks here. As far as getting a different job, it is extremely competetive. I do not have a college degree but a great resume with mostly real estate / admin office experience. I have gone on 30+ interviews over the past 2 months with no luck.

I know it will be harder to get a job in Maui, however I am afraid Oahu will be very competetive.

I am moving in 6 weeks, after I get my tax return. I am coming with about $4000 - $5000 and would like to spent 700 or less on a room, which does not seem hard. My friend rents a fully furnished room including utilities for $600 in wailuku.

One more thing, I am gay, and I know Hawaii in general is gay friendly, but I am afraid my chances of meeting someone on Maui are slim to none.

I will work in any type of admin / office or real estate setting (planning on getting my HI real estate license right away) and will need about $15 an hour to survive.

I know Maui is going to be very quiet, which I would like, but afraid I would get bore real quick. I dont go out much anyway, but Oahu would have more things to do in general. I am very torn, especially since my best friend lives on Maui. She has made about 5 good friends in the 4 months she has been there...

If I could get some input on which island would be best for my move, I would be very happy.

Thanks,

Brian from LA

Hi Brian,
Oahu does have the most in activities. More 24 hour business and utilities. The outer islands don't have a full service public bus. And although I've heard some businesses are opening on the Big Island of Hawaii with 24 hour service, Oahu has gas, stores and some eateries that are 24 hours. Public trash pick up is done twice weekly for Oahu. I believe not fully available on the outer islands, a number of places you have to dump your own and pay. Or go private pick up and pay. So trash and bus could be sketching on the outer islands. Often when there is a medical emergency and it's bad patiences are flown by helicopter to Honolulu. I have a cadio doc that goes to Big Isl p/t and said they are loosing a lot of doctors on the outer island due to bad econ. Also on the Big Isl there has been a large move out of people due to volcanic steam in air. Folks with breathing problems are leaving. Maui is about the same size as Oahu. So getting from place to place is not far. I think there is a lot of hippie type that have gone into fine art business on Maui. You can get better prices to rent on the outer island. Oahu is bad. And the unemployment for the State is very high. This is the worst it's ever been for 40ish years. State is closing some services to save money. And some state employees are being made to take furlough days off. I wish I could give you better info. I really don't think this is the best time to come to Hawaii due to employment. Your friend lucked out. $15 is a great pay. Rent here on Oahu my place is $1000 w/o utilities one bedroom that isn't very big. You can share rent place will run you less (roughly 500 or more). You might be able to find a few places cheaper, but you may have to go out of Honolulu. Hope this info helps.
ly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 02:16 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,617,929 times
Post Hawaiian Islands

I agree with the previous poster. I recommend visiting the islands and get to know the area. Do more research, speak to the locals when visiting, get to know the culture, and meantime, read about it. This is a major move, it may be the right move, then it may not be. This is a big step and a life changing experience. Good Luck!

Old 10-23-2009, 03:38 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,641,948 times
I am in a similar position to Brian, but I won't move unless I get a job first. Also, it would probably be in the education field. I am aware that pretty much everything will be very expensive. I am leaning toward Oahu and Hawaii but don't know much about Hawaii at all. I know I want accessibility, shopping availablility, exotic foods to be able to eat, competitive chess and Scrabble (which may not exist unless I start the club), more liberal. I know Hawaii, the mainland, could meet many of these needs. Maybe Oaho is good too. Cheaper living is nice, but I want to try to find a place I can be happy. I can only choose from 4 school districts and have to make a choice soon. I can probably always try to change if there's an opening AND if I get the job. The school districts in Oahu are Punahou, Kalihi, Pearl City, and Nanaikapono. In Hawaii, it could be Hilo, Kohala, Kau-Naalehu, or Kona. Any particular suggestions based on what I've said so far? Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii