Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 9,167 times

Advertisements

I know I should have decided by now, with only 6 weeks left. Here's a little info:

My best friend moved to Maui 4 months ago, loves it. She got a job in about a month for a storage place, and makes $15 an hour. She came with only $3000, found a room on craigslist before she came, and bought a car for $1000 right away. I had no intention on moving until things started to go downhill for me in LA. I am in real estate, and the market really sucks here. As far as getting a different job, it is extremely competetive. I do not have a college degree but a great resume with mostly real estate / admin office experience. I have gone on 30+ interviews over the past 2 months with no luck.

I know it will be harder to get a job in Maui, however I am afraid Oahu will be very competetive.

I am moving in 6 weeks, after I get my tax return. I am coming with about $4000 - $5000 and would like to spent 700 or less on a room, which does not seem hard. My friend rents a fully furnished room including utilities for $600 in wailuku.

One more thing, I am gay, and I know Hawaii in general is gay friendly, but I am afraid my chances of meeting someone on Maui are slim to none.

I will work in any type of admin / office or real estate setting (planning on getting my HI real estate license right away) and will need about $15 an hour to survive.

I know Maui is going to be very quiet, which I would like, but afraid I would get bore real quick. I dont go out much anyway, but Oahu would have more things to do in general. I am very torn, especially since my best friend lives on Maui. She has made about 5 good friends in the 4 months she has been there...

If I could get some input on which island would be best for my move, I would be very happy.

Thanks,

Brian from LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 11:26 AM

71 posts, read 497,796 times
Aloha Brian,

Hmmmm, what to say. I think most people that read this post are going to tell you you're crazy. There is so little time with too little knowlege. The islands can be unkind to the ignorant. So let's just establish that up front and move on. Let's just say you are totally suited for island life. What can we tell you that will assist you with your success.

I would be slow to judge an island based on what you "hear". You need to see for yourself what suits you. Maui is hardly boring, but if you are used to LA, I suppose it may seem that way. I would begin to spend as much time as possible researching Hawaii living.

I'm not sure moving to Hawaii should be looked at as a land of opportunity, especially in real estate right now. I am in real estate as well and you would have a significant learning curve to overcome when you get there. Since real estate is based on commission, I imagine it would be a bit before you begin to make any money. You would have to find other employment.

You can look at job listings online through Craig's List and the newspaper. These would help you find a place to live as well. You will want to seriously evaluate why you have gone on 30+ interviews and not gotten a job. It will help you when you interview over there.

If you truly want to be successful in living there, I would move to where you have a support system. Like I said, the islands can be cruel, but if you are committed and have people that can show you the ropes, you are that much ahead of the game.

There are my two cents. Good luck with your adventure.

Aloha,
Sharlee

Old 01-07-2008, 09:24 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Brian, not to sound rude, but you are planning a MAJOR move in a month and a half with no information at all? Your friend moved there and liked it? Have you ever been to any of the islands?

Making a major move to a small rock in the middle of the ocean takes a lot more planning from my perspective. You should read all of the posts in the archives about how much money you should have saved up, especially with no job or even any idea of what you plan to do. And, yes, real estate sucks majorly in Hawaii right now, and there are already a whole lot of realtors on the islands.

Instead of deciding to move, you should do lots more reading on all of the islands. One book recommended often on this forum is called "So you want to live in Hawaii" by Toni Polancy. Then you should visit and spend time on all of the islands, or at least on the island that you think you may want to move to. Living in Paradise is way different than visiting!

Old 05-03-2008, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 10,822 times
Default Go for it

You will be fine. Come on over ... stay in Maui a while, then check out Honolulu. Your friend will show you around. Real estate is "down", but still alive in Hawaii.

I'm retired and live in Niu Valley (10 minutes from Waikiki) ... and not interested in gay lifestyle. I rent my cottage for $1650 a month. Yes, Hawaii is expensive.

People are friendly ... it's really up to you. I love the weather. I'm financially OK. No career to worry about. I just take care of my two wonderful rescued doggies, swim in the ocean and shop often at the Health Food Store. I'm waiting for Whole Foods to open ... probably in October.

Good luck.

Roland

Old 05-03-2008, 05:47 PM

19 posts, read 67,027 times
Hi Brain,

Im like you, doing the big move and not knowing much about Hawaii. I have done a lot of research in the last week and have found it really handy. Expensive YES, Friendly YES, job opportunities- depends what your after. I am selling up and hoping to make some good friends when I get there.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:21 PM

4 posts, read 25,546 times
LOL.. I tend to admire the person to just pick up and go. I don't know that they will necessarily have a good experience or will stay long term but it will be an adventure! My boyfriend of 12 years and I are taking over a year and a half to plan our move and we have been to all of the islands many many times. But we are probably at a different place in life than LA Brian. This string is close to a year old but would love to hear from Brian and see how it worked out. Peace out!

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-25-2008 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: language

Old 12-26-2008, 11:47 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Default Visit first.

Agree with the previous posters,moving somewhere without even having visited it is truly dumb,especially in a recession. Just my $.02.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:02 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,786,378 times
My parents lived in Honolulu for 11 years. My father was born in LA.

They enjoyed it, but finally left 15 years ago. Neither of them would describe it as paradise. And I'm not entirely sure I'd describe it as gay friendly, actually.

I've only spent a week at a time in Hawaii, and I think it's a dazzlingly exciting place in many many ways. In other ways (this is not meant to give offense, it's one man's impression only) it struck me as provincial, in the ways places which cater to tourists often strike me as provincial: the tourists have limited interest local cultures; and the locals can be a tad resentful of the tourists.

You may love it, you may not.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:53 PM

42 posts, read 271,924 times
I don't think it's necessarily "dumb" to go ahead and move somewhere on a whim, IF you have the ability to leave and do something else if it doesn't work out or you don't like it. I mean, if you have parents with money or personal savings and you want to just jump in, go for it. It's way better to do it when you don't have any "luggage" that makes it more difficult! Could be a fun adventure - or could suck, of course... But only do it if you aren't "trapping" yourself.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:24 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Well, the original poster said he'd be moving in six weeks and that was just about a year ago now. Wonder how it all worked out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii