Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 03:46 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,636,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
No the figures are the same but it is higher then anyone elses in the country per capita. Another words for the population size of Oahu or Hawaii, you guys have a worse homeless problem then other states x3+ your population. Which was the point i was making.
I understand per capita. But I don't consider that really important. We have X amount of homeless, I wouldn't find that better or worse on a per capita basis. No matter how large your population you still have X to deal with.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 03:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,827,729 times
Quote:

But the reality and fact is if tomorrow all the homeless in Hawaii where to get sober tomorrow and follow the rules of shelters there wouldn't be enough shelter space to house all the homeless.
If they got sober and stopped taking drugs and could follow rules - guess what, they wouldn't be homeless.

San Francisco, a city of 850,000 versus Oahu of 950,000 has about 6,500 homeless - so Oahu is doing pretty darn well.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:53 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,806,015 times
I sometimes wonder what it would be like here in Oregon if we had Hawaii's weather.
Would more people say the heck with it and choose to be homeless?

Old 02-08-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I sometimes wonder what it would be like here in Oregon if we had Hawaii's weather.
Would more people say the heck with it and choose to be homeless?
Fun fact -

Portland, Oregon has about 4,300 homeless with a population of 609,000 - compared to less than 5,000 on Oahu with 950,000 people.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/Blogt...ess-population

Old 02-08-2015, 05:21 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,729,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Fun fact -

Portland, Oregon has about 4,300 homeless with a population of 609,000 - compared to less than 5,000 on Oahu with 950,000 people.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/Blogt...ess-population
Smokescreen, We have one of the highest homeless populations in the country here in Oregon. Our homeless population is 6,101 in 2014 in the whole state. We get alot of homeless from other areas of the country because the weather isnt bad and we are friendly with services and laws. Oregons population is about 3,970,239 people. The reality.

But oregon has done good in reducing the homess population from from 7,231 in 2010 to 6,101 in 2014, not by outlawing homelessness or making it a moral issue but funding more affordable housing and more addiction recovery services.

Further portland is the service provider for the whole state in homeless, affordable housing and transition housing etc.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Smokescreen, We have one of the highest homeless populations in the country here in Oregon.
It is what it. A fact. Oahu does fairly well compared to places like Portland or San Francisco.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:07 PM

140 posts, read 188,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Domo View Post
Along the way they feel entitled to inflicting themselves on society with total disregard for the hard-working Americans who don't deserve to be greeted with their filthy appearance, slovenly ways, yellow rivers and etc. How we ever came to the point where doing so was viewed as a "right" is beyond me. Tolerance of the intolerable is NOT a virtue, IMHO.
I had to read that twice to be sure you were serious, at first I thought you were trying to represent a satirical caricature of a hateful xenophobic person in order to mock some of the other comments in the thread. Maybe you could run for office with a pledge to help rid society of all those "filthy slovenly" people. Make sure and start with the flithy slovenly homeless veterans first, there are quite a few of them...next you can work on the filthy slovenly mentally ill homeless, they make good punching bags too.

Personally I've found that those filthy slovenly people are often much better human beings than people with homes whose minds are so dominated by their own misinformed prejudices that they only see the world as they imagine it to be.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:18 PM

lol

Old 02-10-2015, 06:53 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,636,835 times
I have a friend who volunteers for helping vets get clean and into homes, it currently boasts an 80% success rate. I don't know how far out that number covers (1year? 10 years?).

We have good programs for the homeless if they would choose to utilize them.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-10-2015, 10:51 PM

Well you obviously don't know or care to know that there is an anti sit and lie law in Honolulu and other cities. These laws in effect deny the homeless the right to sleep. Read up on the wording of the laws before opening your mouth ok?

Gee change your wording to jews or african americans and you will sound alot like a little man with little facal hair we fought in WW II. What you think your the only one who pays taxes? Last i checked in Hawaii at least 25% of the homeless pay taxes in income taxes and everybody pays in G.E.T. I get your personal responsibility bit, i agree in personal responsibility to a point myself. But your insulating to me because your like the person who pushes not selling alcohol to homeless people because of public intoxication etc, but then says it ok to throw public beer gardens or beer festivals so other non homeless people can be publicly intoxicated. Have you ever lived in an area with alot of night clubs and bars on a weekend at night or weekday at midnight to 2am?

Pg 1/2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii