Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 10:55 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

@77 Sunset Strip

Pg 2/2

Sorry i would take a passed out drunk bum urinating on the sidewalk over 100+ plus drunk non homeless idiots fighting and yelling at midnight to 2am when im trying to sleep in my home. Personally thats more of a public nusence. JMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 10:58 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Yes they banned sitting or laying on public sidewalks for the safety of all involved. Trip over a homeless person and land smack dab in the traffic. It's not highly enforced.

I know I was not thrilled to see the homeless guys penis and steady stream of urine across my path. Thank goodness we had no children with us. I though that law went into effect when protesters were here and setting up camp on the sidewalks

They are sidewalks by definition, side sits, or side lets just get horizontals.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 02-10-2015 at 11:07 PM..

Old 02-10-2015, 11:05 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Well you obviously don't know or care to know that there is an anti sit and lie law in Honolulu and other cities. These laws in effect deny the homeless the right to sleep. Read up on the wording of the laws before opening your mouth ok?

Gee change your wording to jews or african americans and you will sound alot like a little man with little facal hair we fought in WW II. What you think your the only one who pays taxes? Last i checked in Hawaii at least 25% of the homeless pay taxes in income taxes and everybody pays in G.E.T. I get your personal responsibility bit, i agree in personal responsibility to a point myself. But your insulating to me because your like the person who pushes not selling alcohol to homeless people because of public intoxication etc, but then says it ok to throw public beer gardens or beer festivals so other non homeless people can be publicly intoxicated. Have you ever lived in an area with alot of night clubs and bars on a weekend at night or weekday at midnight to 2am?

Pg 1/2
So those who think the homeless should get out of the streets and into homeless shelters are the Hitler? You think the will be offered soup followed by a gas sauna? They do say that when in an internet argument and someone starts equating you to Hitler or Nazis..... you've won the debate. would love to know the percentage of homeless who file taxes.

We are not suppressing their right, we are supporting our rights.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-10-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So those who think the homeless should get out of the streets and into homeless shelters are the Hitler? You think the will be offered soup followed by a gas sauna? They do say that when in an internet argument and someone starts equating you to Hitler or Nazis..... you've won the debate. would love to know the percentage of homeless who file taxes.

We are not suppressing their right, we are supporting our rights.
No Mikala43, what makes it hitler like and anti constitutional is trying to enforce an anti sit & lie law when 1. There isnt enough shelter space to house all the homeless population or a designed place they can sleep if shelters are full. 2) to try to enforce it on an island in the middle of the pacific thousands of miles from another land mass. Where are the homeless to go? Number one is the reason anti camping and anti sit & lie laws are not in effect here. Further, it was found those laws were selectively enforced.

I had mention that earlier.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes they banned sitting or laying on public sidewalks for the safety of all involved. Trip over a homeless person and land smack dab in the traffic. It's not highly enforced.

I know I was not thrilled to see the homeless guys penis and steady stream of urine across my path. Thank goodness we had no children with us. I though that law went into effect when protesters were here and setting up camp on the sidewalks

They are sidewalks by definition, side sits, or side lets just get horizontals.
I can't say who initiated your anti sit & lie law, but here it was the business association and the rich neighborhood association because they thought it was a good way to get rid of the eye sores, further they had this foolish ideal that business was suffering because of the homeless, so before the law was overturned we got rid of the homeless. Guess what? Bussiness still sucked because it was the ecconomy.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
At least please stop saying anti sit and lie law.

Sit and lie bans sit and lie on a sidewalk. Therefore, anti sit and lie means it is allowed by law.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:36 PM

@Mikala43

I do agree with some of what your saying thou, like being passed out drunk sprawed in the middle of the sidewalk is not ok, or being intoxicated to the point where nudity is involved is also not ok. We have a great program here for that called hooper detox they even do house calls and pickups. But what your talking about is bum/winos behavior or behavior of individuals not the who homeless population right?

Old 02-10-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
At least please stop saying anti sit and lie law.

Sit and lie bans sit and lie on a sidewalk. Therefore, anti sit and lie means it is allowed by law.
Oh brother, can someone please put a leash on this little dog im tired of him humping my leg. Please im begging you.

And whtviper1 i assume your also an expert in this area too?

Old 02-11-2015, 12:04 AM

Im not on any side, im on the side of human rights and the constitution and the founding principles of our country. Well to be honest this is what im hearing from you that human rights and our constitutional rights are given to us when we earn it or reach a level of social acceptance to be grantted these rights? Hope im not reading you right?

And While the laws impose restriction on where people can sleep, they certainly don't constitute a curtailment of the right to sleep.

So if its against the law to sit or lie on public land for longer then 15 mins persa. And there is only public, private land and not enough shelter space for every homeless person. Then what does that say? we are denying the basic human right to sleep. According to the decision of the oregon courts was that the unconstitutionality of the law wasn't based on available shelter space but by the fact that there isnt enough shelter space to house every homeless person if they were to use the shelters to avoid the fine or follow the ordinanc

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 02-11-2015 at 12:16 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 12:14 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Wow - what timing - this is the main story as I post it.

IHS: Sit-Lie Ban is working in Waikiki - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

"There is a noticeable difference in Waikiki. There area less people seen sleeping on sidewalks, benches and on the grass along Kalakaua Avenue now.

"I think it is the combination that it is working, in the sense that Waikiki is much more presentable to our visitors," says Connie Mitchell, Executive Director for the Institute for Human Services, or IHS.

Mitchell credits one program, the Housing First Initiative, which provides the chronically homeless with a place to stay even before offering services. She also credits the controversial Sit-Lie ban, which makes it illegal to do both on public sidewalks.

"It was actually the Waikiki Tourism Industry that brought the idea of doing a sit-lie bill to us, modeling on what other cities have done," says Jesse Broder Van Dyke, Spokesman for the City, "They were really concerned about the Waikiki tourist district in particular."

Guess what - Kakaako will be next - as they are pushed west past the airport, we'll see some homeless folks reconsidering getting jobs.

Note, not a anti sit lie ban - just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii