Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hawaii residents, what do you think of the weather there?
It's perfect! 11 36.67%
It's not perfect, but it's fine 12 40.00%
I don't like it, would rather it was cooler 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 08:42 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There is very little A/C in Hawaii, especially of the older buildings that are built to take advantage of the tradewinds. A/C isn't necessary if you've got access to shade and tradewinds.

Some folks wear polyester and other synthetic fabrics that don't breathe. They generally aren't comfortable in Hawaii. If you wear natural fabrics that breathe properly, then you're cool and comfortable here. Generally we have a pretty high humidity, but it doesn't feel all that high. Although the numbers might suggest otherwise, it is a very comfortable level of humidity. You will notice as soon as you get off the plane that your skin seems to give a sigh of relief and relax into a sort of lush feeling. But, it's not a good level of humidity for folks who depend on low humidity for their wardrobe, hair style and makeup choices.

We get the occasional day where the heat seems oppressive for a little while in the afternoon, but those are usually days with no breeze and fortunately that doesn't happen all that often. If there is no wind, the land & water create ocean breezes when the sun shines. One will be hotter than the other so the breeze will blow one way or another. But we usually have cooling breezes bringing the air over the ocean onto the land. The ocean is deep around Hawaii and the breezes blowing over the ocean are the temperature of the ocean and that will usually cool off a land based hot afternoon.

Hawaii never gets the same unending baking hot summer heat like the MidWest does. I'm not sure if the temps have ever even gotten over 100 degrees. There's too much ocean out there cooling us down to reach those temps. If it ever did get all that hot, we can all go to the beach and swim in the ocean to cool down, too.

If you live at a slightly higher elevation, then the temperatures will be a few degrees cooler. That can be nice when sleeping at night. You also acclimatize to the weather here. We sleep with blankets all year round and with an electric blanket in the winter.

So, I'd have to say that Hawaii's weather is nothing like a MidWest summer.
I've been to Hawaii 6 or 7 times, but always in winter to early spring. It was never unbearably humid, nothing like the humidity you get in summer in the eastern U.S. From what my friends there told me, sometimes in summer high humidity can push up from the south and be a little miserable for a few days, but then it goes back to more comfortable levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 08:57 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,247 times
Overall it is pretty solid weather. Not perfect but damn nice. It is spectacular in its consistency and it never gets too cold. At night it is pretty much perfect year round.

That said, during the daytime it gets too hot for me a good chunk of the year, it is too muggy when you get Kona winds, and the constant oppressive UV index makes me not want to do much outdoors when the sun is out aside from the beach... it is extreme for half the year and high for basically the entire year. Unless you want to slather sunscreen on every time you walk out of the house or cover every inch of your skin like the Korean ladies on the golf course, it is a deterrent to outdoor enjoyment.

Me personally, I'd take Coastal Southern California's climate over Honolulu's most days of the week. And a nice October day in the South with a weaker sun and a light breeze is better than the nicest day in Honolulu as well. But for just the sheer number of reasonably nice days and year 'round stable warm weather, I gotta admit Hawaii is pretty nice and tough to top.

Last edited by UHgrad; 03-06-2015 at 10:06 AM..

Old 03-06-2015, 10:02 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
When I left Hawaii for basic training in Alabama I was so shocked by the heat and humidity; it took a couple of weeks to acclimate properly. Even now when I go outside during the summer in Bama it feels as if I have a wet cloth over my mouth and nose and the heat has passed 112 degrees.

When we are in Bama I long to go home but as my DH is from Bama we spend half of our year there. DH loves the weather in Hawaii.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:15 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Too hot for me, I like Northern California climate the best, I believe it is the best climate in the country but thats just me.
After living 30+ years in Northern California I found I just didn't enjoy temperatures above 100 degrees in the summer. Running the AC from 7:00 am to 1:00 am all summer got old. I did enjoy the occasional snow and mild fall and spring weather. But then again, just like Hawaii, you can't paint NorCal weather with such broad strokes. Summer in Redding is totally different from summer in Truckee or summer in Fort Bragg. All are Northern California but worlds apart.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:00 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Are people seriously arguing that Minnesota in the summer feels more tropical than Hawaii?
As a frequent traveler to Hawaii who is from MN I can yes. I actually had the same thought as you posed and took the month of August to rent a home on Oahu to see if it was same, better or worse than our humid hot weather in MN. We were very surprised to find that it was nothing like MN, it was far better than our midwestern humid summer. The average temp on Oahu that August was 87° and some of the neighbors we had thought it was too hot for them. For us? It was wonderful, the breeze kept it from being the sweltering humid mess that we left back in MN. I can't stress enough that the breeze makes it all so much different.

I am sure there are some apartments that don't get cross ventilation, we had one in Kona once, and that can get hot. But still not the same sauna that happens in August in MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii