Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2006, 10:48 AM

33 posts, read 156,518 times

Advertisements

I looked for a search button before I posted this but couldn't find one, so apologies if this is a well worn subject, but it is one I have had little succes in finding out about. I know prices are "high" but living is soCal they don't seem out of kilter with the general trend. I just wondered if the slight downturn we are experiencing on the mainland is happening in Hawaii, and if so by how much, and what independent factors are likely to affect prices in Hawaii. For example, I imagine there are many holiday homes, which are often the first to go in a squeeze. Any insights much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 08:37 PM

4 posts, read 23,608 times
The only major downturn is in the very high end market, that is houses that start around $2.5M and up. As for the rest of the market, small downward adjustments have come about. This is the normal trend in HI; prices go up as they do every else and settle back down, but not at the same percentage as they do in the mainland US. For this reason alone, it is always wise to buy (that is something one can afford) in HI for the long-term. Hawaii real estate is a bit like the stock market waxing and waning, normally in an upward trend.

While it may be true that the HI house market does not have the sticker shock as compared with SoCal, you don't get as much here. An average house will run you about 600K, but an average house is on a small 4,000 sq ft lot with a house that is barely 1,000 sq ft under roof (if you are lucky).

Old 11-22-2006, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 34,276 times
Puna District on the Big Island is in my opinion still the best real estate deal. I have lived in this district for over six yrs and find the only great expense is my electricity. I pay no water, sewer, garbage, no air conditioner no heating system bills.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:36 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,224,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annswisher View Post
Puna District on the Big Island is in my opinion still the best real estate deal. I have lived in this district for over six yrs and find the only great expense is my electricity. I pay no water, sewer, garbage, no air conditioner no heating system bills.
The reason that the Puna District offers some of the most affordable real estate in Hawai'i is because it has a minimal amount of infrastructure and county services. In addition, the schools in Puna are substandard and decent healthcare options are limited. And don't forget the ever-increasing traffic on Highway 130, the coqui frogs, and the albizia trees. The real estate in the Kaumana area of Hilo is just as affordable as anything that's available in Puna; however, it has better schools and it's closer to amenities like hospitals, libraries, and the Prince Kuhio Mall.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:35 PM

18 posts, read 139,989 times
Default Real Estate Prices

According to stats from one of the real estate mags here:"Homes of the Big Island",land prices in terms of sales volume was down over 50% in Puna this past August,compared to August 2005.
There is a huge ,huge supply of both land and property for sale all over the Big Island of Hawaii.
Whatever your price range you can find it here, right now, with a heck of lot to chose from.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:43 PM

23 posts, read 312,290 times
be careful where you choose. Some places aren't so desirable to live- hence the low real estate prices. Also you are possibly in the path of a lava flow.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:15 AM

4,797 posts, read 3,473,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas1 View Post
be careful where you choose. Some places aren't so desirable to live- hence the low real estate prices. Also you are possibly in the path of a lava flow.
Yes, and here is some pics from the Big Island
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d80/Steve40th/Lava1.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-30-2006, 04:00 PM

18 posts, read 139,989 times
Default Real Estate Prices

Sure there always a risk in living on a piece of rock in the middle of the Pacific ocean.
However, the last residential neighborhood that suffered from laval flow was 15 years ago in Puna.
The Kona side of the island ,supposedly the "safe" side has had two major earthquakes in the last month, so it is a crap shoot no matter where you are.The key I feel is live where you are comfortable and enjoy the weather and lifestyle.
Puna is certainly not for everbody, but then,neither is Hawaii in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii