Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:17 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times

Advertisements

As a haole I lived on Oahu for eleven years and never experienced racism. You just have to remember, it's their island, not yours. The differences are both racial and cultural.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:21 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,336 times
Where do black people fit into all this? (just visiting from elsewhere and am curious)

Old 04-02-2015, 11:25 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Where do black people fit into all this? (just visiting from elsewhere and am curious)
Culturally, I'd say they would exhibit most of the same traits that a Hawaiian/Japanese, would find as culturally different.

It's not the color of the skin, it's not adhering to the norms of the culture.

That being said, the OP seems to be tying it more into the color of the skin. But, it's more the cultural differences that are the real issue. A black-skinned person coming directly from the Mainland, wouldn't have any stronger cultural sensitivities to Hawaiian culture than a white-skinned person.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:28 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
As a haole I lived on Oahu for eleven years and never experienced racism. You just have to remember, it's their island, not yours. The differences are both racial and cultural.
Actually it is neither theirs nor mine. It is everybody's, beyond proper deeds and legal limits of private property.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:35 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Culturally, I'd say they would exhibit most of the same traits that a Hawaiian/Japanese, would find as culturally different.

It's not the color of the skin, it's not adhering to the norms of the culture.

That being said, the OP seems to be tying it more into the color of the skin. But, it's more the cultural differences that are the real issue. A black-skinned person coming directly from the Mainland, wouldn't have any stronger cultural sensitivities to Hawaiian culture than a white-skinned person.

Ah I get it.

So then how about Asian mainlanders - who would culturally be mainlander, but physically look like they may be local? I know Asian culture in general tends to "stick with you" regardless, but I'm sure if someone is full "Americanized" they will have mainlander cultural norms too, no?

Old 04-02-2015, 11:41 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
Really?

There are tons of Filipinas, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, etc. who emigrate to Hawaii all the time. Never heard them called 'Haoles' before.

I'm not offended by the word haole at all, but let's get real, Koreans or Japanese or Chinese are not haoles. Haoles are caucasian.
I was pointing out that the OP didn't assign race to the term, the responders did.
Regardless of how it is used most of the time, are you denying the definition of the term Haole is being anyone not from Hawaii?

I would say that the term is likely applied 95% of the time to Caucasians simply as they are easily identified. To your point, I am sure there have been Caucasians that were born and raised in Hawaii that have been called haole, while a transplant of Asian descent would likely get a pass.
My wife has been mistaken for a local, she's tanned with black hair, but she's Italian and as Caucasian as you can get. So yes, I will agree that the term is likely going to be used against those that the user can assume are not from here. The pasty white skinned, blond haired person is a safe bet if you are trying to pick out a haole from a crowd.
The whole haole thing really doesn't resonate with me, I have lived plenty of places where I was similarly maligned by locals. In Florida I was a "Yankee" in Alaska I was a "Gussick".
I got over all of it a long time ago, getting wound up about it is wasted energy.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
The whole haole thing really doesn't resonate with me, I have lived plenty of places where I was similarly maligned by locals. In Florida I was a "Yankee" in Alaska I was a "Gussick".
I got over all of it a long time ago, getting wound up about it is wasted energy.
I 100% definitely agree with that!

I'm non-phased by it as well.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:48 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
Really?

There are tons of Filipinas, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, etc. who emigrate to Hawaii all the time. Never heard them called 'Haoles' before.

I'm not offended by the word haole at all, but let's get real, Koreans or Japanese or Chinese are not haoles. Haoles are caucasian.
Tiger almost everyword in olelo hawaiian has multiple meanings. Like aloha means love, hello, goodbye, depending on the word context in a sentence determines its meaning. Haole in itself isnt racist but can be twistted to be.

Further, haole to me has always been a mindset or way of thinking. It not based on your color of your skin but your actions and behaviors. Most of these actions and behaviors are based on cultural differences. The reason why the word haole in itself was created was to define a cultural difference. You often don't hear the word haole used with asian imigrates because often the cultural differences are almost non existence. Pay attention to actions and behavior of others.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Tiger almost everyword in olelo hawaiian has multiple meanings. Like aloha means love, hello, goodbye, depending on the word context in a sentence determines its meaning. Haole in itself isnt racist but can be twistted to be.

Further, haole to me has always been a mindset or way of thinking. It not based on your color of your skin but your actions and behaviors. Most of these actions and behaviors are based on cultural differences. The reason why the word haole in itself was created was to define a cultural difference. You often don't hear the word haole used with asian imigrates because often the cultural differences are almost non existence. Pay attention to actions and behavior of others.
Okay, I'll take that an answer!

I've just never heard anyone use the term 'haole' with a Korean, etc. But, I like your explanation, and I'll definitely buy that!

For the record, it doesn't offend me in the least. I have just only heard it in the white caucasian context. By the way, I like your gentle explanation!

Old 04-02-2015, 12:03 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
It's really interseting that there are so many layers to terms used to identify "others". I think we mainlanders are so used to those that developed within the United States to understand that not all labels are as caustic as the ones used on the mainland against African Americans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans etc... I don't see haole as being anywhere in the same league as those types of epitaths.
And once you start seeing how the Micronesians/Marshalese are viewed by the locals, you realize that haole is just one facet in a very diverse and interesting cultural web.
I had a girlfriend in Seattle who was half Japanese and half Korean. She educated me on the whole Asian heirarchy culture. I was blown away that other Asians would just come up to her and ask "what are you". It wasn't viewed by her or the person asking the question as a slight, is was just the way their culture operates.
Hawaian culture can be very intersting and I find the more time I take to study the history of the islands, the more sense a lot of it makes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii