U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 08:28 PM

517 posts, read 884,396 times

Advertisements

I suppose this is probably redundant and early. I have not yet been interviewed for the job. First, Hawaii is not my destination of choice, in fact, I really don't care too much where, so long as it isn't east of the Mississippi river, so I am not in a big hurry to give up life style for Hawaii. However, I do realize, Hawaii has a very nice climate, and more importantly the job is one that will enhance my resume.

Currently I have a townhouse that I own outright. I use the income off of it to pay my taxes and insurance on my home. The home costs me about 500 a month. (With the taxes and insurance paid, by the condo.) If I sell both, I should be able to put about 120K down on a home in Hawaii.

This would probably be enough to get me into a home in Pearl City. However, to get into a 1700 square foot home in Ko Olina it appears I would need about 170k for a down payment plus closing costs. (I hate paying mortgage insurance. If I were to somehow come up with the down payment for the home in Ko Olina, I still would be looking at a mortgage without taxes and insurance of about 4K a month. This would be about 3500 a month more than I am paying now, so it appears I need about 42K more a year, after taxes just to break even on housing costs. The max for this job is about 126K, so if I got the max, that would leave me about 10K for extra taxes and other extra expenses.

Obviously, the 10K wouldn't even cover the extra state taxes.

Now, before I go any further, the job is a supervisory position. In this company, a manager typically doesn't see his workers every day, in fact, once a month or once a quarter can be enough. I mention this because the areas of responsibility stretch from somewhere near Ka' ena Point down the leeward coast to Waianae (this where most of the employees are and most of the activity) and there is one employee in Pearl City and a couple in downtown Honolulu.

Looking online I found a rather large house, but old and in need of updating in Pearl City for only 550K. If I only had to make a couple of trips a month to the leeward side of the island, it would seem that this would be a descent place. (I have been told that Wainae is at best a dodgy area for main landers to be hanging out to "just don't go there at night period no matter who you are."

As I will have to negotiate for the wage, I need to know the starting point. I am thinking 140K, then ask for moving bonuses to let the wage drop down to where human resources can approve it.

Also, is Pearl City safe enough that I can take my afternoon exercise walks with my wife and feel safe?

Oh, I am 55 and my wife is 51, no children at home, on cat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 11:53 PM

2,151 posts, read 2,492,504 times
Do not forget the Electrical rates for the added costs, along with your housing expenses. Unless your stumble on a home with solar installed? You do not see many of those, if you do there are gone fast.
Here is some more real estate listings. Check in Aiea next door also.
The area around Pearl City/Aiea is safe to walk in the afternoon.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand.../Pearl-City_HI
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...search/Aiea_HI

Pearl City Walking Routes - The best walking routes in Pearl City, Hawaii
Best of luck.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:43 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,773,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
First, Hawaii is not my destination of choice, in fact, I really don't care too much where, so long as it isn't east of the Mississippi river, so I am not in a big hurry to give up life style for Hawaii.
Then don't bother - most people who actually want to move to Hawaii don't make it - let alone someone who is so so about it.

Quote:
However, to get into a 1700 square foot home in Ko Olina it appears I would need about 170k for a down payment plus closing costs. (I hate paying mortgage insurance. If I were to somehow come up with the down payment for the home in Ko Olina, I still would be looking at a mortgage without taxes and insurance of about 4K a month.
Down payment on a 800K place at 20% is closer to $3,200/month

Quote:
As I will have to negotiate for the wage, I need to know the starting point. I am thinking 140K, then ask for moving bonuses to let the wage drop down to where human resources can approve it.
Good luck on that

Old 05-03-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Do not forget the Electrical rates for the added costs, along with your housing expenses. Unless your stumble on a home with solar installed? You do not see many of those, if you do there are gone fast.
Here is some more real estate listings. Check in Aiea next door also.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand.../Pearl-City_HI
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...search/Aiea_HI

Pearl City Walking Routes - The best walking routes in Pearl City, Hawaii
Best of luck.

I know this is smaller than what I said I wanted, but one of the things I am would like to avoid is a lot of work, and an active view would be nice.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...25-41611?row=3

This has all of the amenities, but it looks like it is an older building that might have some maintenance issues.

I do like being up high though.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Then don't bother - most people who actually want to move to Hawaii don't make it - let alone someone who is so so about it.

Down payment on a 800K place at 20% is closer to $3,200/month

Good luck on that
This job has been open for 6 months, the last time it was posted, only one person applied, after 18 months he took a hardship transfer to Spokan Washington and even though he ruined any more chances at promotions, he believes it was a really good move.

Actually, I am uniquely qualified for the job, and so they will probably be willing to pay to get me there, but if they don't want to pay, I can stay where I am, life is not bad in Fargo, the winters are brutal, but I just take a couple of weeks and go the the Caribean in January and a couple of weeks in March and go to Texas. April through October is glorious, and the tension and excitement of Chrismas and early winter puts a fun edge on the winter.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:28 AM

1,620 posts, read 1,900,841 times
Quote:
I know this is smaller than what I said I wanted, but one of the things I am would like to avoid is a lot of work, and an active view would be nice.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...25-41611?row=3

This has all of the amenities, but it looks like it is an older building that might have some maintenance issues.

I do like being up high though.
With all the amenities I wonder how much the monthly fees would be. I don't see them mentioned at Realtor.com, did you inquire?

Old 05-03-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
With all the amenities I wonder how much the monthly fees would be. I don't see them mentioned at Realtor.com, did you inquire?
Not yet, monthly fees, didn't think to ask,and really, as the one who supported higher monthly fees for the homeowners association at our Townhouse complex, I should have thought of that.

The would also go for the Town House at Ko alinga <spelling?> resort. The 3200 could jump to 4200 for the 800 K townhouse in a heart beat.

Thanks, I will inquire if I get that far in the process.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:59 PM

1,620 posts, read 1,900,841 times
Anyone know a site that includes the monthly fees with the info about the unit? When the fees can be $1000 a month or more it would be helpful for potential buyers like Qazulight.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:15 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,663,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Anyone know a site that includes the monthly fees with the info about the unit? When the fees can be $1000 a month or more it would be helpful for potential buyers like Qazulight.
Century Park Plaza 1060 Kamehameha Highway Unit 3203A Pearl City HI 96782-Condo listed on 04-29-2015

$520/mo; does not include hot water, electricity, cable or internet. If they don't have sufficient reserves (which is very common in old buildings) you can expect to see that maintenance fee climb dramatically over the coming years... or worse, you'll get hit with special assessments. Use a competent realtor (they are extremely rare) that understands how to read and interpret reserve studies and operating budgets. They'll tell you which buildings to avoid.

Realtor.com is an inferior/useless site for property searches. Oahure.com is the only site worth visiting. Unless you have access to the actual MLS system itself, nothing else comes close to touching it.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:14 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,202,908 times
Quote:
This job has been open for 6 months, the last time it was posted, only one person applied, after 18 months he took a hardship transfer to Spokan Washington and even though he ruined any more chances at promotions, he believes it was a really good move.

Actually, I am uniquely qualified for the job, and so they will probably be willing to pay to get me there, but if they don't want to pay, I can stay where I am, life is not bad in Fargo, the winters are brutal, but I just take a couple of weeks and go the the Caribean in January and a couple of weeks in March and go to Texas. April through October is glorious, and the tension and excitement of Chrismas and early winter puts a fun edge on the winter.
Given your comfort with Fargo and your love of spring through autumn, you may want to stay put. You're going to pay through the nose for everything in Hawaii: home price, taxes, gasoline, utilities, HOA fees, groceries (unless you shop primarily at farmers' markets.)

It's going to be tough to get the wage you want unless you're 100% correct that the employer is in a bind and will pay anything to fill the position (in which case, why not ask for more?) Most employers pay less in Hawaii than on the mainland because they know prospective employees will take a pay cut to live in paradise. If you don't mind living in a moderately small home compared to what that money could get you in ND, and you don't mind paying a ton for all other essentials plus missing out on the fun feeling of winter coming, then make the move. You have to absolutely love the islands to make the sacrifice of space/money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii