Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 07:51 AM

25 posts, read 39,110 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are considering a move to Hawaii in the hopes that it will improve my health. I suffer from chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia/chemical sensitivity, etc, etc. I've been told numerous times by both doctors and others who are ill that there is a high percentage of people with my issues who do much better in Hawaii.

Questions I have are of course about finding a job and the cost of living as well as finding a fairly rural, "safe" area for me.

I lost my job a few months ago due to my health, so my husband would be the only one searching for a job. His background is primarily in IT, but he is currently in a sales job in the building products industry. Any tips for looking for a job?

When I say a "safe" area for me, we need something more rural away from any major industrialized/tourist areas. I am very sensitive to most chemicals and even EMF, which is from cell phone towers, radio towers, even being around a lot of cell phones, etc.

Suggestions on areas where we should look for housing?

Thanks for any information that can at least get us started in our searches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 10:30 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Before you get any further, research "vog", the toxic emissions(mainly sulfur dioxide) from the volcano. Although the volcano is located on the Big Island, affects of the vog can be felt as far away as Oahu. I have a friend here on the Big Island who suffers from fibromyalgia, and she has to stay inside on many days when the vog levels are high.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:30 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Thats very interesting because I had a friend who had to leave Hawaii and go back to Michigan because of his allergies. Hope you're getting good medical advice. Best of luck to you.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:36 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
Not to start a political debate here, but have you tried medical marijuana ?

Old 05-12-2015, 11:18 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
My first thought was with all the agricultural pesticides and chemical fertilizers on the islands both past and present. With the trade winds blowing a steady 10-15 mph+ and the high rainfall, I always worried about how much of those toxins I was ingesting in the air I breathed and water I drank.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:03 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,762 times
The vog affects my friends on Oahu who have lived with it their entire lives, so that island is probably out of the question. The vog wouldn't be much of an issue if minniemom2014 moved to Kauai. Out of the major Hawaiian islands, it would also be the one with the lowest amount of chemicals/pesticides. However, there are so few non-hospitality jobs on Kauai that her husband would probably need to work remotely for a company on the mainland. Assuming he makes less than $40K, there are affordable housing options available on Kauai (though I believe there's a wait list to be in a new building.)

Old 05-12-2015, 01:56 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Assuming he makes less than $40K, there are affordable housing options available on Kauai (though I believe there's a wait list to be in a new building.)
To add, this is the affordable housing I was talking about: Kolopua Apartments | EAH Housing

Old 05-12-2015, 02:45 PM

733 posts, read 852,840 times
Just wondering, do those kinds of workforce apartments allow pets? Didn't see on the website -

Old 05-12-2015, 03:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Just wondering, do those kinds of workforce apartments allow pets? Didn't see on the website -
None do on Maui or Kauai. 2 of the 11 on Oahu do which are for the elderly only.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:28 PM

140 posts, read 188,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemom2014 View Post
When I say a "safe" area for me, we need something more rural away from any major industrialized/tourist areas. I am very sensitive to most chemicals and even EMF, which is from cell phone towers, radio towers, even being around a lot of cell phones, etc.
I say this with zero judgment as someone who has done the same when the situation called for it. You don't need to move to Hawaii, you need to find a really good therapist and possibly a really good doctor to help you isolate what is a physical problem and what is a psychological one. Some of your problems may be physical but it's almost certain from your description that some of them are psychological. Some may think it is mean to say that, but acknowledging that and getting help is the only thing that is going to set you free, not moving to some far away place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii