Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 02:06 PM

284 posts, read 362,276 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of flying into Honolulu for an NCL cruise around the islands, but also wanted to take a week to explore the area on our own. If you were to choose 2 islands to spend 3 or 4 days on, which 2 would you choose? We are mid 50's/early 60's, enjoy sightseeing and photographing nature, snorkeling, more quiet beaches, history, nice restaurants, but not necessarily large crowds. Also, what time of year is optimal? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 02:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
We are thinking of flying into Honolulu for an NCL cruise around the islands, but also wanted to take a week to explore the area on our own. If you were to choose 2 islands to spend 3 or 4 days on, which 2 would you choose? We are mid 50's/early 60's, enjoy sightseeing and photographing nature, snorkeling, more quiet beaches, history, nice restaurants, but not necessarily large crowds. Also, what time of year is optimal? Thanks!
I'd pick Maui and Kauai and you'll get all sorts of responses from different people. Do some research, like going to www.fodors.com or www.tripadvisor.com

As far as optimal time of the year - I'll take that to mean the fewest tourists and cheapest time of the year. Generally, that is October - which also happens to be the hottest time of the year so keep that in mind. June/July/August are the busiest and holiday weekends and Spring Break - December to April is the rainy season - you might not see a drop of rain the entire during the rainy season - or the entire trip might be a washout.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:44 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Do some research, like going to www.fodors.com or www.tripadvisor.com.
I second this. It just depends on what each individual person is interested in.

The OP likes beaches, snorkeling, restaurants, taking pictures, sightseeing....the ONLY unique criteria they gave is they don't like 'crowds'. Well, Oahu is the most crowded. On a touristic level, all of the islands are crowded. I found Kauai, despite not having many people living there, to be filled with traffic going all around the island, so I was able to experience plenty of traffic jams on the least crowded of the main touristic islands. So, who knows.

I think it's best for a person to view photos/read/research, and see what they individually find appealing. For me, I find Honolulu and Hilo appealing, but I get the impression the OP wouldn't. I get the impression that the OP would like anywhere but those two cities. Which basically means they'll have to look at photos, and see what jumps out at them.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:20 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
I would choose Kauai and the Big Island. Kauai, in my opinion is the most beautiful. We live on the Big Island and took a mini-vacation to Kauai last year in March (it was a bit rainy). I'd live there if it wasn't so small and expensive. I love the Waimea Canyon and the beaches along the north shore, including Anini and Hanalei Bay. Yes, there's traffic, but there are also alternative routes around the worst areas. Not so bad as to deter someone from visiting.

The Big Island is a completely different experience. It is much, much bigger than Kauai and also a lot younger, so the landscape looks a lot different experience. Where else can you see an erupting volcanoes and newly created land? There are beautiful beaches on the Kona side, but you really have to I've to the volcano and vist Hilo town to get a feel for "real Hawaii".

Enjoy your trip!

Old 06-04-2015, 12:34 AM

133 posts, read 182,334 times
I would go with Kauai and Big Island, too. Kauai is my favorite island. It's has a really special place, not just because it is beautiful but because it has a really good feel. It's a special place. Big Island because the areas geography is so interesting. Lava fields, lush forests, black beaches... It's amazing. I'd stay for longer if you can swing it.

The longer I live here, the more I really like Oahu, though. There are plenty of areas outside of town and Waikiki that aren't super-crowded and the beaches are great.

I know a lot of mainlanders whose favorite is Maui. It has a good vibe but, I don't find it as interesting as BI or Kauai.

You're going to Hawaii. I don't think you can go wrong with any two islands. Enjoy.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:49 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
Hawaii Island, Kauai Year round is optimal Winter is more expensive Dec - April. Avoid early Oct. for Big Island (Ironman).

Old 06-04-2015, 01:54 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Kauai and Maui in the spring or fall.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:27 PM

569 posts, read 780,077 times
Based on what you said about yourselves, I'd say Maui and either BI or Kauai.

In Maui, you're going to have a bit of everything without crazy crowds:
- Beautiful natural sights like lush rainforests and views from Haleakala
- Many, many outstanding beaches and snorkeling spots
- Nice restaurants and shopping

In choosing between Big Island or Kauai, both are far less populated. I think the draw of seeing an active volcano on the Big Island would be the most compelling draw. (Spend the $ on a helicopter tour; totally worth it!)

Old 06-04-2015, 10:17 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
If you don't like crowds, I'd recommend to avoid Oahu as much as possible. The Big Island, Maui, and Kauai are all good choices. Maybe the best contrast would be the Big Island and Kauai the youngest and oldest islands. You'll need the most time to explore the Big Island because it takes a long time to drive around the island because it is so large. If you spent much time on Oahu, it would also take a long time to drive around for a different reason, you'd be stuck in very slow moving traffic jams, not a pleasant experience! If you only have a few days total, then it isn't enough time to explore two islands. You could very easily spend a week on each island and still feel that you didn't have enough time to see more. Be careful about Kauai, there could be a lot of rain which could impact your ability to enjoy your vacation. In Kauai, you have to time your visit to the canyons while the canyons aren't socked in by fog. If you like to go to the beach, the best beach we found is on the Big Island roughly 30 minutes north of Kona, called Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area, it is beautiful and uncrowded. The road to Hana on Maui is a good experience if you do the drive during a rain free day and return before dark. We found the roads too scary on Maui to drive the whole perimeter of the island, north of Lahaina and south of Hana.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:31 AM

834 posts, read 1,217,454 times
Kaho'olawe & Ni'ihau. No crowds, nice beaches. Hawaii pure & unique. But you need permits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii