Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:02 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,217 times

Advertisements

For the sake of discussion, may I add that one of the things my local friends liked to ask me "as a test" (in my first six months or so on Oahu) was: "Ok, so tell me what I am?"

There was a definite pride in cultural/ethnic backgrounds and a certain pleasure in having it recognized. No one was opposed to discussions of race. It was obvious that I was English-Irish, but they still asked about my background and expected that I would be just as interested in their histories as well. And this particular group of people had some great family history to share...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 01:47 PM

850 posts, read 4,363,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
Maybe.

It was interesting to me that I had to conciously LOOK at the crowd at Cool Kailua Nights to get an idea of the percentage mix. I couldn't give you any idea, for example, of the Haole/Local percentage mix of the people standing in line at Don Quijote (large discount store) the last time I was there, a day or so ago.

They were just Kailua people.

I think when you've been in Hawaii a long time (fifty years, on and off, for me) you just don't notice.

Hank
good post hank! i agree with you completely!

Old 02-05-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
For the sake of discussion, may I add that one of the things my local friends liked to ask me "as a test" (in my first six months or so on Oahu) was: "Ok, so tell me what I am?"

There was a definite pride in cultural/ethnic backgrounds and a certain pleasure in having it recognized. No one was opposed to discussions of race. It was obvious that I was English-Irish, but they still asked about my background and expected that I would be just as interested in their histories as well. And this particular group of people had some great family history to share...
hope you don't think that i am opposed to, "discussions of race"? i just found it quite odd that howzitgoing would pose that particular question and direct it towards me.

i am what i am.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:32 PM

20 posts, read 40,051 times
Haha I asked because i noticed that you post alot on these forums so i just get curious in my nature sorry if that was kind of a nosy question i didnt mean any disrespect at all

Old 02-05-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzitgoing View Post
Haha I asked because i noticed that you post alot on these forums so i just get curious in my nature sorry if that was kind of a nosy question i didnt mean any disrespect at all
neither nosy nor disrespectful. no offense taken at all.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:59 PM

11 posts, read 35,183 times
Howzit,

I think now in Hawaii, there are more people moving in from out of state that it doesn't seem to be too much of an issue like it was when I grew up in the 70's. Kids will be mean no matter where you are. We moved from Hawaii to Oregon and our TEENAGER had a hard time adjusting. So just make sure you encourage all the fun things that your son would not normally be able to do -- swim, learn to surf, play on the beach 365 days of the year! Lots of Hawaiian culture, beautiful flowers, sunsets, fishing, etc.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 PM

126 posts, read 688,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
My sonfear of "racial" mistreatment in Hawai'i is mostly just that. Fear.
Please check out the school. Where I taught we had so many kids from the mainland come in like lambs to the slaughter. Parents just could not have fathomed what it was like for them. There are some places I'm sure he would be fine, and others not so much.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:33 AM

8 posts, read 31,984 times
I used to drive by a school bus stop on my way to work. I witnessed the same two blond haired kids (sister and brother) being picked on, on several occasions. Later I noticed they would stand around the corner from the other kids. It was sad. Everyone says Kona is a better place to start with haole kids. I think it just depends on each kid's personality? Maybe they were snotty kids? LOL

Old 02-09-2008, 10:01 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinster View Post
I used to drive by a school bus stop on my way to work. I witnessed the same two blond haired kids (sister and brother) being picked on, on several occasions. Later I noticed they would stand around the corner from the other kids. It was sad. Everyone says Kona is a better place to start with haole kids. I think it just depends on each kid's personality? Maybe they were snotty kids? LOL
My Dad had a saying I remember from my formative years that has carried with me my whole life..."Kids are like horses. Born knowing how to run. Ya gotta teach em' how to walk". what kids project onto each other is learned behavior and sadly a percentage of that behavior is not what it should be. As parents we are obligated to teach our children properly. Alas, some parents view of "proper" is a bit off. I see kids picking on other kids daily taking my son to and from school and it is a sad thing. My son has been in a couple of altercations because he has a sense of chivalry that steers him to defend the defensless so to speak.Teaching our keiki to be Knights of the Realm whos might upholds the weak goes a long way to keeping the barbarians in check.The bully's are out there most certainly, however, we don't have to send our lil' ones out with a victims mentality. It can be very difficult for a kid to stand up for whats right but doing so makes them a stronger and better person and we need to stand with them ( and with each other) so they grow up proper and do the right thing when it needs doin'.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:21 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
My Dad had a saying I remember from my formative years that has carried with me my whole life..."Kids are like horses. Born knowing how to run. Ya gotta teach em' how to walk". what kids project onto each other is learned behavior and sadly a percentage of that behavior is not what it should be. As parents we are obligated to teach our children properly. Alas, some parents view of "proper" is a bit off. I see kids picking on other kids daily taking my son to and from school and it is a sad thing. My son has been in a couple of altercations because he has a sense of chivalry that steers him to defend the defensless so to speak.Teaching our keiki to be Knights of the Realm whos might upholds the weak goes a long way to keeping the barbarians in check.The bully's are out there most certainly, however, we don't have to send our lil' ones out with a victims mentality. It can be very difficult for a kid to stand up for whats right but doing so makes them a stronger and better person and we need to stand with them ( and with each other) so they grow up proper and do the right thing when it needs doin'.
Great Post!

I hope your son finds another who is being taught as well. Strength in numbers.

Hank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii