Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:08 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Efforts are underway to provide 1-way tickets out of Hawaii to the homeless ( Why Flying Hawaii's Homeless To Other States Is A Good Thing )

I can only interpret the welcoming of Syrian refugees to mean that Ige only intends to bring in Syrian refugees who have a pre-existing family support system here. Otherwise, Hawaii is
requesting to be the "middle-man" in a bizarre homeless in/out revolving door.
LOL riiiiight. Ige is an idiot and this is just one more example proving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 12:20 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
The first two articles don't address Syrian refugees specifically. The first article addresses Mediterranean Sea arrivals, only half of whom are Syrian. Also I'd assume men would make up a higher percentage of sea arrivals since it's more arduous a journey than by land. The second article lumps all refugees into one group. Either way, your statement of: "Syrian refugees so far have been almost exclusively healthy military aged males." is so far off base it's an outright lie. I'm aware of "refugees" from other countries posing as Syrians but the US government mentions Syrian refugees specifically being allowed to enter the US after rigorous screening.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:52 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Why are we assuming that refugees are unskilled people?
Probably because that would be a realistic assumption? Remember, we are not in a labor-based economy anymore. As technology improves over time, immigrants from developing countries will have a progressively more difficult time to assimilate into technologically advanced developed countries. I'm not saying I support this... but it's inevitable that advancements in technology will exacerbate the current situation.

As developed countries increase the "Human Development Index" gap between developing countries (comparative measure of life expectancy, education, literacy, standards of living and overall quality of life) it will become less and less likely there will be any form of acceptable assimilation.

It's the sad reality of things to come.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:31 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
The first two articles don't address Syrian refugees specifically. The first article addresses Mediterranean Sea arrivals, only half of whom are Syrian. Also I'd assume men would make up a higher percentage of sea arrivals since it's more arduous a journey than by land. The second article lumps all refugees into one group. Either way, your statement of: "Syrian refugees so far have been almost exclusively healthy military aged males." is so far off base it's an outright lie. I'm aware of "refugees" from other countries posing as Syrians but the US government mentions Syrian refugees specifically being allowed to enter the US after rigorous screening.
The first article used the same iUN data to arrive at a 72% male refugee status, so I guess you are saying UN statistics are only accurate when they support your position. You are backtracking when you say a sea journey is harsh so it is males making the journey, and you inadvertently confirm my point it is mostly males, then you say it's not just Syrians in the statistics that are emigrating. Well, yes, but many are claiming to be Syrian to get around immigration laws and claim refugee status.

You first said I got my data from Ben Carson's campaign and already made up my mind about the situation - I gave you my background and you said it was vague and I didn't source my data. I then gave you three sources that confirmed what I stated and they included UN data and a Pew research study that confirmed my assertion.

After I provided background, data, and links, You then assert that my statements constitute a lie...

Maybe it's not me that had my mind made up no matter what facts are presented...

Last edited by Tuck's Dad; 11-19-2015 at 02:18 AM..

Old 11-19-2015, 07:54 AM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
Quote:
I'm aware of "refugees" from other countries posing as Syrians but the US government mentions Syrian refugees specifically being allowed to enter the US after rigorous screening.
There are no reliable records or data bases to use for screening every one. Basically, the "screening" will amount to asking them if they are terrorists. After they say "no", the screener will ask to see their counterfeit passport and counterfeit ID.

Once they show their counterfeit ID and state they are not a terrorist, they'll be given a complimentary mai tai, one free Aloha Shirt and a voucher for 50% off a plate lunch when you buy one at the regular price, a free tent and directions to sand island.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:58 PM

569 posts, read 779,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
There are no reliable records or data bases to use for screening every one. Basically, the "screening" will amount to asking them if they are terrorists. After they say "no", the screener will ask to see their counterfeit passport and counterfeit ID.

Once they show their counterfeit ID and state they are not a terrorist, they'll be given a complimentary mai tai, one free Aloha Shirt and a voucher for 50% off a plate lunch when you buy one at the regular price, a free tent and directions to sand island.
Is it overly simplisitic to think you could ask a simple question like "Do you accept IS as the caliphate?" under a polygraph?

I know polygraphs can be fooled, but the ferver with which one supports this movement would seemingly make it very difficult to remain calm while saying the opposite of what you so fervantly believe.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
The first article used the same iUN data to arrive at a 72% male refugee status, so I guess you are saying UN statistics are only accurate when they support your position. You are backtracking when you say a sea journey is harsh so it is males making the journey, and you inadvertently confirm my point it is mostly males, then you say it's not just Syrians in the statistics that are emigrating. Well, yes, but many are claiming to be Syrian to get around immigration laws and claim refugee status.

You first said I got my data from Ben Carson's campaign and already made up my mind about the situation - I gave you my background and you said it was vague and I didn't source my data. I then gave you three sources that confirmed what I stated and they included UN data and a Pew research study that confirmed my assertion.

After I provided background, data, and links, You then assert that my statements constitute a lie...

Maybe it's not me that had my mind made up no matter what facts are presented...
It's like you never even read my reply. Okay one last try. The first article you referenced includes refugees from Syria (53%) as well as places like Afghanistan, Eritrea, Nigeria, Iraq, Somalia, and others. It lumps them all together instead of only accounting for Syrian refugees. Secondly, the 381,412 arrivals BY SEA ONLY and to EUROPE ONLY would equal 202,148 (381,412 X 53% Syrian) Syrian refugees in the group. Your 202,148 Syrian refugees who reach Europe by boat is a small fraction of the 4,289,792 Syrian refugees my source quoted that are registered in countries like Lebanon, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan and Turkey, of which women outnumber men. You only cherry pick a select population of refugees and claim that as representative of the entire refugee population. What's more representative? 200,000 who entered Europe by a harrowing boat ride or the 4+ million refugees who went to other countries? I mentioned the sea voyage attracting more males since I'm assuming it's a tougher voyage. My comment about Ben Carson was half joking but now I think you're both smoking the same stuff.

Regarding the second article again it mixes refugees from a host of other countries. Also, men in the 18-34 age range represent 43% of the asylum seekers, which is the approximate age range of what I would consider "military age". 43% is hardly "exclusively military aged males", though it is a high number compared to the general population I'll give you that. Your sources only provide an incomplete, select view of refugees heading to EUROPE ONLY, whereas my source accounts for over 4 million refugees, though it looks like it excludes those heading to Europe. Still it's a far greater percentage of the total Syrian refugees than your sources. What makes you think the refugees the US admits will mirror the demographics of Europe's refugees rather than the ones headed to the countries my source referenced?

I don't even want the Syrian refugees to come to Hawaii, and I doubt they will, but I just found your statement about it being "almost exclusively healthy military aged males" to be totally false. Most of the total refugees are women and children.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:33 AM

569 posts, read 779,838 times
Quote:
It's like you never even read my reply. Okay one last try. The first article you referenced includes refugees from Syria (53%) as well as places like Afghanistan, Eritrea, Nigeria, Iraq, Somalia, and others. It lumps them all together instead of only accounting for Syrian refugees. Secondly, the 381,412 arrivals BY SEA ONLY and to EUROPE ONLY would equal 202,148 (381,412 X 53% Syrian) Syrian refugees in the group. Your 202,148 Syrian refugees who reach Europe by boat is a small fraction of the 4,289,792 Syrian refugees my source quoted that are registered in countries like Lebanon, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan and Turkey, of which women outnumber men. You only cherry pick a select population of refugees and claim that as representative of the entire refugee population. What's more representative? 200,000 who entered Europe by a harrowing boat ride or the 4+ million refugees who went to other countries? I mentioned the sea voyage attracting more males since I'm assuming it's a tougher voyage. My comment about Ben Carson was half joking but now I think you're both smoking the same stuff.

Regarding the second article again it mixes refugees from a host of other countries. Also, men in the 18-34 age range represent 43% of the asylum seekers, which is the approximate age range of what I would consider "military age". 43% is hardly "exclusively military aged males", though it is a high number compared to the general population I'll give you that. Your sources only provide an incomplete, select view of refugees heading to EUROPE ONLY, whereas my source accounts for over 4 million refugees, though it looks like it excludes those heading to Europe. Still it's a far greater percentage of the total Syrian refugees than your sources. What makes you think the refugees the US admits will mirror the demographics of Europe's refugees rather than the ones headed to the countries my source referenced?

I don't even want the Syrian refugees to come to Hawaii, and I doubt they will, but I just found your statement about it being "almost exclusively healthy military aged males" to be totally false. Most of the total refugees are women and children.
One other point: I saw a news report (don't remember where) about the refugees and, since it's such a scary and uncertain trip, the men often go first. When they find work and shelter, they then send for their families.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:59 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
So sad to see that the Know-Nothingism of Carson and Trump is having an effect even in Hawaii.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
One other point: I saw a news report (don't remember where) about the refugees and, since it's such a scary and uncertain trip, the men often go first. When they find work and shelter, they then send for their families.
I think that's been the case many other times throughout history. Ex. the early Chinese immigrants to the US were mostly men who came to work. The first European explorers/conquerors of the Americas were groups of men. Maybe they weren't exactly refugees but it's the same logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii