Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 06:00 PM

6 posts, read 5,790 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

So, I have been living in the cold place (Chicago) for the longest time and I do see myself moving to a warmer place. I am not planning to move to countryside, Texas, Cali, or Florida.. which are too crowded and many other problems with it.

So I thought of Hawaii. I am a IT Engineer, in my late 20s and wanted your opinion on moving to Hawaii? I love the beaches, sunsets, relaxation, etc.. Do you think I will have a tough time finding an IT job there? What would be the best place to settle in Hawaii?

What other problems/complications that I can face in moving there? Hows the crime rate? population? Job search? traffic?

Any detailed information you can provide me would help me put this whole plan together.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 08:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
IT engineer positions are fairly plentiful on Oahu and much less so on the other islands.

If you are familiar with Bay Area salaries, figure you'll make 30-50% less with about the same cost of living. (Rent a little lower, everything else higher)

Old 11-29-2015, 10:07 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,252,336 times
Try the federal Government, on Oahu, including the military branches. Never know. You have benifts that might help in the Cost of living a little. How much experience you have will help you in saleries? The link below is for the federal Gov. You will have to get a account to check on jobs, no big deal really!!
Best of luck in your search
http://www.usajobs.gov/JobSearch/Sea...ligibility=all

Old 12-02-2015, 09:05 PM

430 posts, read 639,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Try the federal Government, on Oahu, including the military branches. Never know. You have benifts that might help in the Cost of living a little. How much experience you have will help you in saleries? The link below is for the federal Gov. You will have to get a account to check on jobs, no big deal really!!
Best of luck in your search
www.usajobs.gov/JobSearch/Search/GetResults?OrganizationID=DD;AF;NV;AR&ApplicantEli gibility=all
Federal civilians don't really get any benefits that help with cost of living. There is a small cost of living adjustment but it's nothing compared to the big BAH that military get. It's even lower than what you get in some *cheaper* mainland cities

Old 12-02-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
Federal civilians don't really get any benefits that help with cost of living. There is a small cost of living adjustment but it's nothing compared to the big BAH that military get. It's even lower than what you get in some *cheaper* mainland cities
Yes you do. Working at the ship yard which has a IT Section that takes care of all the computers system in the Ship yard. You get Cola (Cost of Living) included with your pay, not taxed $358.00 on payday. Not like it was in in the past. You also have locality pay which adds to your base pay toward your retirement if you choose to stay. That is where the Cola went, which was not included in the your retirement, at that time.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
There is a small cost of living adjustment but it's nothing compared to the big BAH that military get.
There are some single Navy Officers I know that pool together the housing allowance and literally live steps from the ocean in Kailua, on the other had - the military enlisted folks with 3+ kids and wife don't exactly find the allowance enough to cover housing.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:48 PM

430 posts, read 639,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Yes you do. Working at the ship yard which has a IT Section that takes care of all the computers system in the Ship yard. You get Cola (Cost of Living) included with your pay, not taxed $358.00 on payday. Not like it was in in the past. You also have locality pay which adds to your base pay toward your retirement if you choose to stay. That is where the Cola went, which was not included in the your retirement, at that time.
Do you now get both the COLA and the locality rate?

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...url=COLA-Rates

Old 12-04-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Do you now get both the COLA and the locality rate?

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...url=COLA-Rates
Yes, we get both Cola and Locality pay. Locality pay is taxed and considered into your Retirement fund. Cola is not considered into your retirement. This is on the civilian side of the Federal work force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: