Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 03:06 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,891,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiWarriorFan View Post
SAT scores and highschool is overated. My niece was told she had learning disabilities, she wouldn't amount to anything by teachers and she just failed badly in Highschool. She got her GED. A few years later i talked her into going to community college to get a degree or learn a vocation. Now she is getting her bachelors and has a 3.5 gpa in college. College education is different. I know alot of kids who did great in highschool but failed college and vice versa.
I guess you skipped the article from your favorite online source, did you miss the bone ignorant student story?

ACT/SAT scores can make or break you getting into a good school or a bad school. It is also a measurement against your peers. So what that means is Hawaii students don't stack up against their peers - it is what it is.

You can graduate them but that doesn't mean they're very bright.

By the way it isn't "highschool" it's High School. Two words.

"Overate"is actually overrated.

You aren't exactly a poster child for a DOE success story.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:35 PM

102 posts, read 118,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I guess you skipped the article from your favorite online source, did you miss the bone ignorant student story?

ACT/SAT scores can make or break you getting into a good school or a bad school. It is also a measurement against your peers. So what that means is Hawaii students don't stack up against their peers - it is what it is.

You can graduate them but that doesn't mean they're very bright.

By the way it isn't "highschool" it's High School. Two words.

"Overate"is actually overrated.

You aren't exactly a poster child for a DOE success story.
Yeah but at least I'm Hawai'i house broken lol

Old 05-29-2016, 04:16 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
They keep passing my husband's youngest, and we can't figure out how they justify it.

He is smart and tests well, but is always flunking due to not doing his homework. End of the year comes and they pass him anyway.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-29-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
They keep passing my husband's youngest, and we can't figure out how they justify it.

He is smart and tests well, but is always flunking due to not doing his homework. End of the year comes and they pass him anyway.
I guess it depends on how they grade? Homework is really just exercise to learn the material. I know some teachers where homework is like only 20% of the grade. I know teachers where homework is 50% of the grrade. I know tests are used to show mastery of knowledge. Don't get me wrong I'm not justifying laziness but it might be that your stepson has shown he knows the material? But yeah he should be doing homework. The process of doing homework teaches young people a good life skill.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,891,322 times
Quote:

They won't just graduate him - they'll FORCE him to graduate - shocking? Not in Hawaii.

KHNL : Family of autistic McKinley High School student sues over claims son is being forced to graduate

Old 05-29-2016, 10:11 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
He gets Ds and Fs, and then they give a bunch of make-up assignments the last week of school year.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-29-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
He gets Ds and Fs, and then they give a bunch of make-up assignments the last week of school year.
Ok mikala43 here is what you do k. You have any filipina or Pacific islander auntie friends,Yeah? Ask dem to teach you da stink eye. It's sounds crazy but it works. When I was one small kid I was more afraid of my older aunties stink eye and silent treatments after then any dirty lick'ns I received. Swear they was so good at it that even after most of the husbands would grumble and leave the room or goto the man caves or outsude.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:09 PM

35 posts, read 48,183 times
Quote:

I graduated from a large B.I high school with at least 10-20 functionally illiterate graduates, I am sure of it.

I remember quite a few kids who spoke/wrote/read practically zero English progressing with me through elementary school.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:37 PM

I'm sorry of course this is my issue alone. It's just every time I hear bashing of anything local or Native Hawaiian my neck muscles tighten because often I envision a outsider trying to give me there religion or trying to say there ways from where they come from are better then enveryone else's because we need to enlighten the unenlighten. I know I need to work in this.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:32 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,731,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
They won't just graduate him - they'll FORCE him to graduate - shocking? Not in Hawaii.

KHNL : Family of autistic McKinley High School student sues over claims son is being forced to graduate

The deal here is that the student probably has an IEP, which allows them to stay in school through age 21. I don't see how they can lose their suit, as federal law conveys this right to the family.

These kids get extra time for a "transition period", to train them for some sort of work after school.
Sometimes it's just an opportunity for the parents to get extra years of baby sitting for their special needs child.

Of course, these students are usually not held to the same standard as the mainstream kids, when it come to the three "R"s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii