Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 01:04 AM

408 posts, read 431,158 times

Advertisements

I know there are several other threads about this topic but it's all so very confusing. My question-- what's the better option and how much does it end up costing each way? I'd love to hear from people who've done it before or who may have some insight.

I moved to Hilo early this month for a new job. My dog, a golden retriever, is arriving sometime this spring from Seattle when her 120-day wait period is up. She had the Rabies FAVN test, she's microchipped and UTD on the vaccines.

Now, I'm getting ready to book her flight and submit all the paperwork. I'm trying to figure out the best option. It looks like there's a fee for the direct release program -- $165. It looks like there's a fee for the neighbor island program -- $145. I looked at the Kona vet hospital website (who would do the final inspection) and they have a $150-$350 fee as well.

So my question... does the neighbor permit program essentially cost $165+$145+$150-$350? Obviously that's the more attractive option because I could book her on a direct flight (less traumatic and chance of something going wrong). But at the same time, it looks like the fee to do all this same stuff at Honolulu would be only $165? And then she'd just get on the connecting inter island flight and be on her way to the Big Island?

Am I reading these wrong? Just trying to understand. Thanks and can't wait to have my pup here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 10:50 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
call up the kona vet, ask them how much they charge. it's best to get your dog released where you will be living.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:19 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,554 times
Animal Industry Division | Animal Quarantine Information Page
Looks like it's only $145 plus the vet fee. I only go thru HNL so can't confirm but the rules seem pretty straight forward.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:24 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Direct release where you're going.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:43 PM

353 posts, read 437,494 times
You need to fly your dog directly non-stop to the island where you are living. If you are living on the Big Island, you cannot have your dog stop in HNL. Arrange with a vet service for direct release. Follow the HDOA checklist

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/files/2013...klist-5DOL.pdf

Call the vet service or the HDOA for questions.

I flew my dog non-stop to KOA. Since I arranged for vet service with Kona Vet ahead of time, airline personnel met me on the tarmac, took me to the vet who listened to her heart and checked for fleas. In literally 4 minutes we were good to go.

Please read the checklist. It is pretty straight forward. If you already have your dog microchipped, whole process (flying, vet fees, HDOA fees) should be 300-400$ Don't forget the final trip to the vet before the dog leaves the mainland. Have to be done no more than 10 days before departure and needs to have a specific flea repellant applied. A health cert will be issued by the vet at that time and it has to accompany your dog to the destination airport.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:11 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
I have done both from Seattle (AK to starting point) to Hilo side. My dog is going on 7th year back and forth. There is two major advantages depending on dog size. Mine is 75lbs. Small dog doesn't cost as much but. Kona vet for direct release 808 325-6637. First off they only charge $350 on Sundays found that out after I booked the flight last Oct. Normally cheaper. My dogs flight in Cargo on Hawaiian was $284 on way Honolulu to Hilo. Also Kona flight is less than 6 hours. Through Honolulu can be up to 14 hours in crate.

Sorry on the price I believe this year as had to redue the tieter it was the $145 plus vet fee. Normally I do the $75 re-entry fee plus vet.

First reason to fly to Kona is Alaska Air. $100 Have flown on Hawaiian up to $1500 one way for me. Problem flying out of Seattle to Honolulu. (Again my complications due to size) Alaska up to 150lbs (this includes the crate also) is $100. Alaska only flies into Kona not Hilo. Hawaiian flights you have to take and pick up dog to cargo or hire someone to do it. This includes quarantine to cargo. The time of the flights get dog from cargo and back 90 minutes ahead of time of flight. (Must be in quarantine before 3pm) the flights out of Honolulu to Hilo end of not making it or cutting it close. Which then mean spend the night me hotel- dog quarantine for night. Which made the cost way higher including the cost of moving larger dog with taxi.

I have not done the later for last two years and just chose to fly Alaska and fly into Kona. Now also remember paperwork has to be processed in quarantine 30 days ahead of date and can't be changed once made. Also Alaska Air dog is checked in as luggage no need for all the extra moving from cargo around or 90 minutes check in first.

The vet in Kona is great they want to get in and out as quickly as possible also. Last Oct the vet moved my dog in crate all the way to the curb with baby on his hip at same time. Hope this helps.

Just two other things to check out. One have heart worm pills to be on when arrive... they do say they are good to go 30 days back but not worth the chance. Keep in mind you can not put on the Trifexis (best thing I have found for fleas and heartworm here) Until over a month of landing due to the drops they put on them for flight. You will have the health certificate travel with you (or with the dog if a handler with paperwork if your not flying) Also due to being in WA you should have the leptospirosis in your vaccines (DHLP- L is for this) In AK they don't vaccine for this and is a total must here on East side. Also make sure your chip is for Hawaii chip readers. My vet in WA did one they didn't read (7 years ago) Luckily AK vet caught this so he has two chips now.

Also what I do with my dog is go to a thrift store by a pillow for the crate. They (or mine) usually gets stinky doing the flight and spills his water all over. And also if accident. Mine just spills his water and pants. I take a water dish and freeze his water night before so when loaded on plane it is frozen and will melt slowly during flight. He can lick it mostly till melts.

Good luck and it isn't anywhere as bad for them as us worrying about it. Alaska is great with the dogs.

Last edited by nwcountrygal; 01-25-2016 at 02:37 AM..

Old 01-29-2016, 10:37 AM

408 posts, read 431,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
I have done both from Seattle (AK to starting point) to Hilo side. My dog is going on 7th year back and forth. There is two major advantages depending on dog size. Mine is 75lbs. Small dog doesn't cost as much but. Kona vet for direct release 808 325-6637. First off they only charge $350 on Sundays found that out after I booked the flight last Oct. Normally cheaper. My dogs flight in Cargo on Hawaiian was $284 on way Honolulu to Hilo. Also Kona flight is less than 6 hours. Through Honolulu can be up to 14 hours in crate.

Sorry on the price I believe this year as had to redue the tieter it was the $145 plus vet fee. Normally I do the $75 re-entry fee plus vet.

First reason to fly to Kona is Alaska Air. $100 Have flown on Hawaiian up to $1500 one way for me. Problem flying out of Seattle to Honolulu. (Again my complications due to size) Alaska up to 150lbs (this includes the crate also) is $100. Alaska only flies into Kona not Hilo. Hawaiian flights you have to take and pick up dog to cargo or hire someone to do it. This includes quarantine to cargo. The time of the flights get dog from cargo and back 90 minutes ahead of time of flight. (Must be in quarantine before 3pm) the flights out of Honolulu to Hilo end of not making it or cutting it close. Which then mean spend the night me hotel- dog quarantine for night. Which made the cost way higher including the cost of moving larger dog with taxi.

I have not done the later for last two years and just chose to fly Alaska and fly into Kona. Now also remember paperwork has to be processed in quarantine 30 days ahead of date and can't be changed once made. Also Alaska Air dog is checked in as luggage no need for all the extra moving from cargo around or 90 minutes check in first.

The vet in Kona is great they want to get in and out as quickly as possible also. Last Oct the vet moved my dog in crate all the way to the curb with baby on his hip at same time. Hope this helps.

Just two other things to check out. One have heart worm pills to be on when arrive... they do say they are good to go 30 days back but not worth the chance. Keep in mind you can not put on the Trifexis (best thing I have found for fleas and heartworm here) Until over a month of landing due to the drops they put on them for flight. You will have the health certificate travel with you (or with the dog if a handler with paperwork if your not flying) Also due to being in WA you should have the leptospirosis in your vaccines (DHLP- L is for this) In AK they don't vaccine for this and is a total must here on East side. Also make sure your chip is for Hawaii chip readers. My vet in WA did one they didn't read (7 years ago) Luckily AK vet caught this so he has two chips now.

Also what I do with my dog is go to a thrift store by a pillow for the crate. They (or mine) usually gets stinky doing the flight and spills his water all over. And also if accident. Mine just spills his water and pants. I take a water dish and freeze his water night before so when loaded on plane it is frozen and will melt slowly during flight. He can lick it mostly till melts.

Good luck and it isn't anywhere as bad for them as us worrying about it. Alaska is great with the dogs.

Thank you so much for the reply, this was insanely helpful. I booked my pup on an Alaska flight and called the vet in Kona. I'll let you know how it goes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: