Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 03:20 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Most visit Honolulu. In 2015, 8.5 million people visited Hawaii. Of those, 5.3 million visited Oahu (and 4 million of those never left Oahu) versus the next highest visited, Maui- which had 2.5 million visitors.
I know I am often wrong about these things. My thought in going anywhere is to see what I can not see where I am sitting now. I should have figured that many would want to go to Honolulu it is just that I am wondering why go across the Ocean to visit another McDonald's. I know that may be explaining it to the extreme but so many do just that. So many cool new places and things to see and try out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 05:28 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I know I am often wrong about these things. My thought in going anywhere is to see what I can not see where I am sitting now. I should have figured that many would want to go to Honolulu it is just that I am wondering why go across the Ocean to visit another McDonald's. I know that may be explaining it to the extreme but so many do just that. So many cool new places and things to see and try out.
I lived in Hawaii (Maui) many years and some of my fondest memories are those I spent visiting Oahu. None of the neighbor islands have the same Hawaiian feel or history that you get while in staying in one of the grand old hotels on Waikiki Beach sipping your drink of choice at one of the beach side bars. Same with the Hawaiian entertainment. Now I haven't been in ten years or so and someone can correct me if I'm wrong now, but it's difficult to find Hawaiian music (except at luau's) on neighbor islands.

I miss hanging out at Dukes on the Beach on Sundays where you could always see a few Waikiki Beach Boys that are happy to talk story about days gone by.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:06 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
City Data has a thing about posting competing sites. I am not sure if Neighborhood Scout is a competing site but the site gave Honolulu a low score of 7. To compare where I live in California we have a 35, with the higher number the better number. Now I don't know of anyone that is heading over to Hawaii because they want to visit Honolulu. I can think of a lot of other places in Hawaii that I would want to visit.

I also understand that things may have changed and I have no idea where they are getting the information from.
Neighborhood Scout rated Chicago safer than Honolulu - yep, you read that right. Chicago where a person in 2015 was shot every 2 hours 55 minutes and a murder every 17.5 hours. Honolulu averages less than 20 total murders per year - Chicago in 2015 had 443 murders by guns alone, and yes, while Chicago is larger - do you think it is safer than Honolulu?

This article below says it a bit better (Honolulu 3rd safest US city)

Honolulu named the third safest U.S. city - Real Estate - January 2012

"Honolulu ranked fourth lowest for violent crime and seventh lowest for traffic fatalities. Wealth was a factor in making these places havens for safety, and they found that our city is relatively well off, with a median household income of $54,828, which is above the national average of $50,046. Interestingly enough, we have a below-average poverty rate of 10.5 percent.

They surmised that violence rates are relatively low due to our strict gun control laws, and traffic fatalities are lower than other cities due to our extremely gridlocked, congested freeways (as anyone from Ewa or Mililani can tell you)."

Old 02-11-2016, 09:01 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
You do know that Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation.
I live in Hawaii - not Chicago. Don't have time to follow-up on every city gun law.

Regardless - it doesn't seem strict enough. We don't have gun violence in Hawaii like you see in other cities.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:24 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I live in Hawaii - not Chicago. Don't have time to follow-up on every city gun law.

Regardless - it doesn't seem strict enough. We don't have gun violence in Hawaii like you see in other cities.
But you commented on Chicago.

In Hawaii there were 7 people murdered by guns in 2010. Very low compared to the nation. Amazing since only 6.7% of the state is armed. Personally that kind of scares me that so few don't have guns. Idaho has similar population numbers as Hawaii. 55% of the state is armed and they had 12 gun murders in 2010. District of Columbia on the other hand has half as many people as the state of Hawaii. Only 3.6 of the people in the District are armed. Much less than in Hawaii. A lot less guns in the District than in Hawaii. While your state had only 7 murders the District of Columbia had 99 murders. The state of New Hampshire has about the same amount of people as Hawaii. In New Hampshire 30% of the people are armed. In 2010 New Hampshire had 5 gun murders in the state, two less than Hawaii.

I realize that you live in Hawaii but you brought out a point that the gun laws are keeping people safe. Gun laws do not keep people safe. People keep people safe. How many gun laws do we need? The only law we need is if you kill someone you will get life in prison or be executed. No other laws are needed. I would prefer to be in a public place where others have guns. When a bad person shows up and starts shooting up the place those good people with guns will try and take care of the problem. On average it takes police 6 minutes to show up to an active shooter event. That is 6 minutes that the shooter can cause a lot of damage and death.

It is good to hear that this is not a problem in Hawaii, still many other placed never thought it would ever be a problem and the bad guys did a lot of damage.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:07 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
I would guess it's the social component more so than the gun laws or amount of guns that determines the amount of shootings. Around here it has been the mixing of cultures, the big Asian influence, being raised to a different standard, etc., which had changed social behavior to something uniquely Hawaii. However, we are getting a lot of influence from the mainland these days so a lot of what once was the way Hawaii was has become mainland style. Some of it may be good, some is bad. It is a smoothing out of regional differences, though, which is a pity. We don't need a homogenized society. 'One size fits all' never fits all so we shouldn't all try to be the same.

We also have a huge crowding problem, that adds to the tension on some of the islands. Useta be you'd not have to scramble for everything. Nowadays, there's a line waiting for anything.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:13 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
But you commented on Chicago.

In Hawaii there were 7 people murdered by guns in 2010. Very low compared to the nation. Amazing since only 6.7% of the state is armed. Personally that kind of scares me that so few don't have guns. Idaho has similar population numbers as Hawaii. 55% of the state is armed and they had 12 gun murders in 2010. District of Columbia on the other hand has half as many people as the state of Hawaii. Only 3.6 of the people in the District are armed. Much less than in Hawaii. A lot less guns in the District than in Hawaii. While your state had only 7 murders the District of Columbia had 99 murders. The state of New Hampshire has about the same amount of people as Hawaii. In New Hampshire 30% of the people are armed. In 2010 New Hampshire had 5 gun murders in the state, two less than Hawaii.

I realize that you live in Hawaii but you brought out a point that the gun laws are keeping people safe. Gun laws do not keep people safe. People keep people safe. How many gun laws do we need? The only law we need is if you kill someone you will get life in prison or be executed. No other laws are needed. I would prefer to be in a public place where others have guns. When a bad person shows up and starts shooting up the place those good people with guns will try and take care of the problem. On average it takes police 6 minutes to show up to an active shooter event. That is 6 minutes that the shooter can cause a lot of damage and death.

It is good to hear that this is not a problem in Hawaii, still many other placed never thought it would ever be a problem and the bad guys did a lot of damage.
it scares you we don't have a lot of gun owners here? that seems extreme to me. we only need one law for gun owners? kill someone and go to jail is it? nothing wrong with treating a gun like we do cars, register it, have a license and insurance. closing gun show and web sale loop holes.

a man that lived and was there during the terror in san diego said he was carrying and from his vantage point could not get a shot off. I have also read many times a person that has a gun doesn't try to intervene because they fear being arrested or having to deal with the authorities afterward.

on the mainland you live with terms like "active shooter" it is a sad state.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:29 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
Quote:
Now I don't know of anyone that is heading over to Hawaii because they want to visit Honolulu. I can think of a lot of other places in Hawaii that I would want to visit.

Different strokes for different folks ... to use a phrase I don't think I've ever used before.

There are millions of people from Japan & Korea that head to Hawaii every year to visit Honolulu. I have many friends who have no interest in going to any island other than Oahu. They like the combination of Beach and City with a large variety of restaurants and shopping. Along with the ability to take a short drive and be out of the city if you want to.

Anyway, different people like different things and that's all good. No need to worry about what someone else enjoys.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:57 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
This is the Hawaii forum, please keep your posts relevant.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-11-2016, 06:20 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Oahu is where almost everyone goes the first time, everybody has seen Waikiki and Diamond Head on TV and in movies and expect that. Many expect to see things like the eruption and are surprised and disappointed to find out "it ain't there". Big Island and the other outer islands are more attractive to seasoned travelers who want the Hawaii experience without the crowds, who want to see volcanoes, tide pools that don't close down every week, etc. BTW I don't own a gun, but I do have a machete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii