Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 12:34 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Actually, how much internet coverage does the island of Niihau have? They've got houses and dirt roads and cars, therefor there must be some sort of fuel delivery of some type there. Tin roofing comes from somewhere. As well as the trucks themselves. Is there cell coverage? Internet? Many computers at all? There's not a lot on Niihau, how do the folks there get by? What about medical and dental care? How do they get enough money to cover whatever bills they have? Do they have enough to visit other islands? Is there a landing strip on Niihau or does everything come and go by boat? Just because the whole island is privately owned, it doesn't make the place feudal or anything does it?

I found information about Niihau on the internet but I suppose no one wants to talk about it because it's "private". How fortunate the Robinsons are. Do they have cars now? According to some sites they do not. Also, I'm not sure about the being invited part. Don't you just need to have lot's of money? I found it interesting they removed non-native plants. That must have been a real job.

Ni`ihau Island Today - Learn about the Forbidden Island of Ni`ihau

Niihau - "The Forbidden Island" of Hawaii

Get a glimpse of Niihau, Hawaii’s ‘Forbidden Island’ | The Seattle Times

A Glimpse Inside Hawaii's 'Forbidden Island'

Ni'ihau Island Map and Hawaii Information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 02:26 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Quote:
Actually, how much internet coverage does the island of Niihau have? They've got houses and dirt roads and cars, therefor there must be some sort of fuel delivery of some type there. Tin roofing comes from somewhere. As well as the trucks themselves. Is there cell coverage? Internet? Many computers at all? There's not a lot on Niihau, how do the folks there get by? What about medical and dental care? How do they get enough money to cover whatever bills they have? Do they have enough to visit other islands? Is there a landing strip on Niihau or does everything come and go by boat? Just because the whole island is privately owned, it doesn't make the place feudal or anything does it?
Niihau is basically a company town and company towns can be pretty feudal. I believe there is a school on Niihau so they must have some governance by the State.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:08 PM

So one of the Robinsons is a Lord?

Anyway...a link about Kaho'olawe.

http://www.waimea.com/kahoolawe-niihau/

From the article:

quote:
An organization called Protect Kaho’olawe Ohana (PKO) filed a petition in the federal court in 1976 to put a stop to the US Army’s use of the island as training ground. Although the court ruled the Army’s continued use, environmental laws were made to protect Kaho’olawe’s cultural resources. The organization’s leaders George Helm and Kimo Mitchell went missing during an attempt to take over the island as a protest. end quote

They went missing?

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 02-17-2016 at 04:11 PM..

Old 02-18-2016, 02:27 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Why isn't the island of Niihau part of the islands listed for city data?
What list do you mean, or where do you expect it listed? If you're referring to sub-forums, those mostly follow the county divisions, so Ni'ihau would fall under Kaua'i, just as Moloka'i, Lana'i, and Kaho'olawe would fall under Maui.

If you're looking for the "city data" (aka census data) about Ni'ihau, you have to go to city-data.com (not /forums) and there type Ni'ihau in the search box. Then you will find it:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Niihau-Hawaii.html

Interesting numbers:
- 172 inhabitants (I thought is was closer to 120)
- Average age 26, so I'm guessing lots of kids (but I can't find age distribution info)
- 66% Hawaiian, 15% Asian (surprisingly) and 2 Caucasians (the owners I assume)
- Median household income of less than $35K
- But cost of living index is 97% of the US average (not much to buy I imagine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Or Midway island.
Midway island is not part of the State of Hawaii. It is administered directly by the US federal gov't, originally by the US Navy as a strategic base, now by the Dept. of the Interior as a wildlife refuge. All other emergent islands of the NW Hawaiian islands belong to the state of Hawaii, administratively attached to the city and county of Honolulu.

Quote:
Finally some interesting questions, I'm no expert, but here is what I've gathered so far:

The island does not have electric or telephone or cable TV service, so no way to have Internet "coverage." I imagine people could have have generators or solar and batteries and could run computers with satellite internet if desired, but frankly doubt if they bother to. So cell coverage would be the only way, and I could be wrong, but I haven't heard of any cell towers over there--and 17 miles is too far for reliable coverage from a Kaua'i tower. Then again, there are small cell boosters you can install on a pole, so maybe they do that now. This is one area where technology is moving fast, and I admit I don't know the current situation.

The military does lease and run some antennas on the island, but I assume they are for PMRF operations and don't provide comms to the island--but maybe they could.

They do have dirt roads--though I wonder if they are even graded or bedded--and I imagine they have a truck or two for ranch work, but last I heard most people walked, rode bicycles, or went by horseback. I imagine if motorized transport becomes common, it would be more the ATV quad type than any type of car.

The Robinson family that owns the island also owns a boat for transport to and from the island. I've heard it described as a "WW2-era launch" so I imagine it can ferry vehicles and any building supplies as needed. Since the island is still a working ranch, I imagine it also carries cattle. I don't know how often it crosses, I'd guess once a week or more when needed for ranch work.

Residents are free to come and go to the island on the boat, and the nearest towns on Kauai, Kekaha and Waimea, have sizable Ni'ihau populations. It seems like the families sort of live on both, some choosing to put their kids in a Kaua'i school (there is a Hawaiian language charter school in Kekaha), and perhaps moving back and forth seasonally with available work.

I imagine there is some basic first aid on Ni'ihau, but any real medical issues needs to be treated on Kaua'i--there is a hospital and emergency room in Waimea town. So residents would take the boat across for medical or dental office visits. For emergencies, the owners purchased a helicopter, and they run tours to the island to help pay for its upkeep. I do not believe there is a landing strip for small aircraft.

The state dept of education does run a school there, and it seems to be a success: that city-data link says all adults have high-school diplomas (but none have college degrees). Last I heard about it was 8-10 years ago when they installed solar electricity so the school could have refrigerators for the milk and computers in the classroom. I imagine it must also have some communications system. It's rather interesting to think that although, by what I've heard, the population chooses to live a life without most modern amenities, the school is intent on offering exactly the same facilities and opportunities as on the other islands. Seems laudable, but perhaps misguided.

As for jobs, I agree that it is essentially a plantation/company town. The landowner runs the ranch and the only work for people living there is on the ranch. To the owner's credit, it appears he runs the ranch more as a subsistence activity for the residents because the land is too dry to be profitable. I imagine that the residents also fish, raise animals, and grow produce to feed themselves--and that is perhaps where their Hawaiian traditions serve them best in being independent of commercial supplies and a market economy.

So while the island is private and sort of run as a benevolent estate, the residents are free to come and go (outsiders are not). The system isn't perfect, but those that live there don't seem to be deserting, and it even seems to be growing. It is certainly the only place in Hawaii where the Hawaiian language and much of the culture is the primary one.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
What list do you mean, or where do you expect it listed? If you're referring to sub-forums, those mostly follow the county divisions, so Ni'ihau would fall under Kaua'i, just as Moloka'i, Lana'i, and Kaho'olawe would fall under Maui.
Yes, I was looking at the sub-forums. I wondered because I thought they were all separate islands.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:23 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
We were there in 2011. At that time there were about 129 residents. They did have a truck to carry supplies from the helicopter and I was told that there was a phone and generator but they were to be used only for emergencies or ranch business. The rules were very strict there. You can see pics that I posted and read a little about our experience on Ni'ihau by clicking on the link below.

The lesser-known islands of Lānaʻi & Molokaʻi

Here is a very interesting video on the making of the Ni'ihau Shell Leis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8syVIdEXxk4

Old 02-19-2016, 06:15 AM

Thank you McFrostJ!

Old 02-21-2016, 07:39 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
McFrosty the forum won't let me award you any more rep points but your posts and photos were inspirational. I didn't even know that one could see the island that way. It is the only inhabited island I haven't visited and now I have hope I can see it one day.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:48 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
We were there in 2011. At that time there were about 129 residents. They did have a truck to carry supplies from the helicopter and I was told that there was a phone and generator but they were to be used only for emergencies or ranch business. The rules were very strict there. You can see pics that I posted and read a little about our experience on Ni'ihau by clicking on the link below.

The lesser-known islands of Lānaʻi & Molokaʻi

Here is a very interesting video on the making of the Ni'ihau Shell Leis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8syVIdEXxk4
Very good post McFrosty. Glad you were able to make arrangements to go and visit Niihau.
Interesting video on the amking if the Ni'ihau Shell Leis.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:57 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,250 times
Ni'ihau is a private island. You must be at least half Hawaiian to be able to visit/live...if that's still the rule. I did hear they were allowing some hunting tours and other types of tours. The older Robinsons have passed, so the new generation isn't keeping a tight ship as before.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...u2YV8TU4I1kyeA

The Robinson's intention was to save a place where only Hawaiians live and speak their language and perpetuate the culture, etc... (along with the Robinson's western religion). I have many friends who live there. Mr's Robinson and her friends (one of them was Grace Guslander) would come to Gaylords every now and than for lunch; many, many, years ago. As a young women, I would wait on them sometimes.

Outsiders have been trying to get on that island ever since I can remember. On the weekends, some of the people of Ni'ihau choose to come to Kauai and party (which you can't do on the island). Good luaus on the West side. Ni'ihau is known as the "Forbidden Island" ... well; it use to be.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...16636494,d.cGc

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii