Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 01:35 PM

102 posts, read 118,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That didn't take long HBH.

Anyway, about 18% of Hawaii is foreign born and 10% military personnel and their families. Take that away and its one of the highest "local" born in the US
Aloha, hi I had to track down the article I read and here is what it said.

"According to U.S. Census data, only 54.2 percent of people who live in Hawaii — including the military population — were actually born here. In most states, more than 60 percent of the population was born there. More than 75 percent of Louisiana, Michigan and Ohio residents were born in the states where they currently live."

Looking at Census, Hawaii May Not Be as 'Local' as You Think - Civil Beat News

Then I found this article while searching for the above. It says:

Hawaii's population born in the state has shrunk as a share of the total since 1960, the year after it was admitted to the union. While there has been significant migration from other states, particularly California, the share of residents born in other countries has nearly doubled. (Data for Alaska and Hawaii are not available for some of the years before they became states, so only data since 1960 is included.)

And

For those who consider Hawaii to be paradise on Earth, this will come as a surprise -- the share of people born in Hawaii but living elsewhere has risen sharply. Since 1980, the state's locally born population is up 35 percent, but the diaspora has nearly doubled.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ml?_r=0#Hawaii

There is some good graphs in there too. Well I don't know if civil beat or N.Y times are credible sources for this forum? I brought this information up to support what Blind Cleric said in his post:

U.S. Mainlanders and foreign citizens bought more than a quarter of the homes sold in the islands since 2008, according to a state report. Even more staggering: Nearly 47 percent of Neighbor Island homes were sold to out-of-state residents over the same period.

I could be wrong also. The information seems to support what Blind Cleric was saying and it's worse. Well one thing is for sure, Hawai'i nei is expensive. Anyway I'm here to learn and share Aloha.

Final question? What is a HBH?

Are the articles correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 03:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Well - HBH, as I pointed out, most of the non-local RESIDENT population is military and immigrants. For example, a whopping 15,000 residents are from CA - look it up.

And your articles don't support Blind Clerics position at all since you haven't since the implication of his position is low property rated encourage NON-Residents to invest in property and all you keep talking about is residents.

Lately, the overwhelming amount of real estate is owned by local residents.

Old 05-07-2016, 03:28 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
We have a huge military population..... and of course they were not born here.

Find the data that shows the same thing minus the military population.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-07-2016, 03:41 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiWarriorFan View Post
Well I don't know if civil beat or N.Y times are credible sources for this forum?

Are the articles correct?
Civil beat and New York Times tend to lean quite a bit to the left; liberals generally represent their target audience.

As for the percentage of people living here that were born here, it seems as though Hawaii is right about in the middle (when compared to other states). In fact, those states with a higher number of foreign born residents tend to have a better overall quality of life (residents have achieved higher levels of education, higher paying jobs, cleaner environments, healthier residents, etc).

I'm assuming that those places in America that are most desirable will have a higher number of people from other states (and countries) moving there. And those states that are least desirable will see the lowest percentage of foreigners moving there. That seems to hold true based on the census data provided by CB.

As for the article, I 100% agree that anyone moving here should make a strong effort to assimilate gracefully and to adapt and respect our local culture and values. There are a lot of bad apples here that don't assimilate well and they cover the entire spectrum of the socioeconomic ladder - from the ultra wealthy to the poor.

But the plug at the end of the article regarding GMOs was a bit strange. Maybe the writer wasn't aware that those that oppose GMOs the strongest (the most vocal advocates against GMOs) actually tend to be transplants - not locals.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:13 PM

102 posts, read 118,568 times
Mahalo guys for your responses. Mikala I will try to find what you request later k? Pj I appreciate your response a lot. Your attitude is wise. Whtviper1 from what I understand of Hawai'i history that having high levels of military on island is not unheard of, in fact if I understand correctly? The military population was much higher in the past because there were more bases. But again I can be wrong. Mahalo guys

Old 05-07-2016, 06:37 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
The media is dishonest and society is gullible.

Between 2008 and mid-2015 about 16 percent of Oahu homes have been purchased by mainlanders (12 percent) and foreign citizens (4 percent).

Key word - "purchased" ..

Yes, "purchased" is the key word. Once again, the seven year trend, according to that source, is:

"U.S. Mainlanders and foreign citizens bought more than a quarter of the homes sold in the islands since 2008, according to a state report. Even more staggering: Nearly 47 percent of Neighbor Island homes were sold to out-of-state residents over the same period."

Viper, I wasn't arguing that low property tax rates encourage out of state purchasers, someone else in the article I sited was. My argument was that out of state buyers drive up prices of Hawaii real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: