Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 02:05 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Ok. So you think there is nepotism and cronyism- there might be - you just can't produce ANY specifics. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 10:46 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Well, yes you do need a basis for accusations and they don't need to be secret tapes. Take the electrical workers union - perfect example of nepotism.

Can't even come up with a tie from a big donor getting a contract? Come on, it's public info.

It's easy to go around making grandiose accusations, but at least provide an unsubstantiated rumor.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-15-2016, 11:41 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, yes you do need a basis for accusations and they don't need to be secret tapes. Take the electrical workers union - perfect example of nepotism.

Can't even come up with a tie from a big donor getting a contract? Come on, it's public info.

It's easy to go around making grandiose accusations, but at least provide an unsubstantiated rumor.
Sorry, but a big donor receiving a contract doesn't in itself prove anything. Lots of very big donors get zero awarded contracts. Zilch.

It's virtually impossible to prove, without a doubt, specific concrete examples of cronyism/corruption/etc. And that's what viper was clearly asking for.

It's like viper asking for clear signs of racism. We all know it exists here but how do you prove WITHOUT A DOUBT that someone is being racist? Of course there could be some very blatant examples that might just qualify but they would have to be flagrantly over the top to guarantee racism is evident. Some things in life are very black and white... without really being black and white at all.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:38 PM

Clear signs of racism are one of the easiest things to show examples of:

Let's start with OHA attempts at elections only for Native Hawaiians - an entity that receives public funds.

The last day of school "kill a haole day" sure seems racist to me.

It does seem to me if cronyism and nepotism are the root cause issues to rail - it would seem like a Pulitzer Prize type of potential - I personally think they are mostly inept. Example, not knowing about the water main at Dillingham/King - how does that go unknown until now.

The rail pillars are within site of Aloha Stadium- I believe the costs as it gets closer are going way way way higher than publicly disclosed mostly because of a lack of due diligence

Old 05-15-2016, 01:12 PM

102 posts, read 118,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Sorry, but a big donor receiving a contract doesn't in itself prove anything. Lots of very big donors get zero awarded contracts. Zilch.

It's virtually impossible to prove, without a doubt, specific concrete examples of cronyism. And that's what viper was clearly asking for.

It's like viper asking for clear signs of racism. We all know it exists here but how do you prove WITHOUT A DOUBT that someone is being racist? Of course there could be some very blatant examples that might just qualify but they would have to be flagrantly over the top to guarantee racism is evident. Some things in life are very black and white... without really being black and white at all.
I will have to agree with pj737 on this. One form of cronyism or favoritism can be an ideology one. It's evidence or proof is in funding. HARTs potential price tag of 10+ billion that could possible bankrupt us for 20 miles of track. Could you imagine if we are willing to spend that or go bankrupt on other important issues on the islands that effect everyone's wellbeing? Issues like new industry, homelessness, roads, paying teachers, funding mental health facilities, infrastructure upgrades, affordable housing or more housing, prisons(did u know we ship a lot of prisoners to other prisons on the mainland) even healthcare, maintenance of culture or historical locations etc etc. There are tons of other issues that effect the quality of life for everyone on the islands. Enough said. Aloha guys

Old 05-15-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiWarriorFan View Post
HARTs potential price tag of 10+ billion that could possible bankrupt us for 20 miles of track.
Well, you don't live here so I don't know who this "us" is.

And if you lived here - you'd know rail is funded by the Feds (just under $2 Billion) and GET surcharges - so bankruptcy is not on the table - one would simply raise and extend the surcharge.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:17 PM

102 posts, read 118,480 times
^^^^^

Wow, gee sir just how am i supposed to respond to that? We are talking ideals and ideology not vital statistics? Wow you just essentially called me a #$%&'n haole! Im done with discussion on this. When you think about the GET tax do you think about the rest of Hawai'i?

Old 05-15-2016, 03:20 PM

The GET surcharge only applies to Oahu. If you lived here you would know that.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:12 PM

Finally got around to the Star-Advertiser story today that the Feds think rail could cost $8.1 Billion - no cronyism or nepotism mentioned- although stupidity was regarding utility problems which should've been known at groundbreaking.

On the bright side, $176 in coupons in today's paper

Old 05-15-2016, 09:49 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Finally got around to the Star-Advertiser story today that the Feds think rail could cost $8.1 Billion - no cronyism or nepotism mentioned
Well then by golly you must be right! No nepotism. No cronyism. It's official! Please excuse me for my moment of reckless insanity. It happens to the best of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii