Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 03:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiWarriorFan View Post
I was talking about the state of Hawai'i. This is the Hawai'i sub forum.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/newsgra...ii-out.png?v=5

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/newsgra...hawaii.png?v=5
It's already been mentioned state data is meaningless - since the bulk of rentals are on Oahu. You can't compare Hawaii to the entire State of California- that's just silliness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 05:14 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Yes it is a sad story not so much that its a kid having a kid but two generations being homeless in a place that is rich and the ideal of homelessness was really unheard of in Hawai'i in the past unless one was really mentally ill or chosen to be homeless. Hawai'i is ranked 10th in Teen pregnancies but overall teen pregnancy stats are down across the country. Another Fail i guess?

They are just keeping up the old, traditional ways.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-01-2016, 07:01 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Ask the US Census (Hint: +- around 15,000 for City and County of Honolulu)
Looks like your "missing 21,000" can be found within that "margin of error."

Quote:
Regardless - the point is, the population growth of Oahu from 1996-2015 is far more births than deaths.

Net Migration, at least for Oahu - in the period of 1996 to 2015 is not statistically significant even if the population estimate is off by 5% (it isn't).
If you only look at "net domestic migration" and throw out the "net international migration" component of "net migration," then "net migration" would be "statistically insigificant." However, the "net international migration" for Oʻahu exceeds the "natural increase" (births - deaths) of the population for 1996 to 2015.

Quote:
The other islands, now that is a different discussion.
Actually, if you look at all the components "net migration," the only thing that's different about Oʻahu is its negative "net domestic migration" numbers for certain years. However, since the "net international migration" number subsumes the "net domestic migration" number for most of those years, the total "net migration" for Oʻahu (and most of the other major islands in Hawaiʻi) is positive. For Oʻahu, the total "net migration" numbers are roughly a third of the "natural increase" and for the Neighbor Islands, the total "net migration" slightly exceeds the "natural increase."

In a nutshell, your "baby-making theory" accounts for approximately two-thirds of the population growth on Oʻahu and total "net migration" accounts for the remaining one-third. Thus, while your original conclusion is probably "good enough for government work," it wouldn't pass muster in a basic demography course.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:07 PM

102 posts, read 118,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
They are just keeping up the old, traditional ways.
Really now? Its a hard job to make keiki, but someone has to do it . Hahaha. But honestly the birthrate was far lower in the past then today.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Really now? Its a hard job to make keiki, but someone has to do it . Hahaha. But honestly the birthrate was far lower in the past then today.

You see it all the time. Teen pregnancies beget teen pregnancies. Parents raise the kids of their kids. When it happens it is no big deal, you could even say expected.

So starts the whole process, they don't finish school, no college, a lifetime of low paying jobs.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Looks like your "missing 21,000" can be found within that "margin of error."

If you only look at "net domestic migration" and throw out the "net international migration" component of "net migration," then "net migration" would be "statistically insigificant." However, the "net international migration" for Oʻahu exceeds the "natural increase" (births - deaths) of the population for 1996 to 2015.

Actually, if you look at all the components "net migration," the only thing that's different about Oʻahu is its negative "net domestic migration" numbers for certain years. However, since the "net international migration" number subsumes the "net domestic migration" number for most of those years, the total "net migration" for Oʻahu (and most of the other major islands in Hawaiʻi) is positive. For Oʻahu, the total "net migration" numbers are roughly a third of the "natural increase" and for the Neighbor Islands, the total "net migration" slightly exceeds the "natural increase."

In a nutshell, your "baby-making theory" accounts for approximately two-thirds of the population growth on Oʻahu and total "net migration" accounts for the remaining one-third. Thus, while your original conclusion is probably "good enough for government work," it wouldn't pass muster in a basic demography course.
But non of this proves what I said was wrong? I Said about half of those born in Hawai'i move and about half of the population is international and other transplants.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
You see it all the time. Teen pregnancies beget teen pregnancies. Parents raise the kids of their kids. When it happens it is no big deal, you could even say expected.

So starts the whole process, they don't finish school, no college, a lifetime of low paying jobs.
I understand your point Mikala43, but there is a lower class in this country not based on bad choices. Our capitalism system cannot work without a lower class. Granted our lower class is rich compared to other third world countries. Just saying

Old 06-01-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I understand your point Mikala43, but there is a lower class in this country not based on bad choices. Our capitalism system cannot work without a lower class. Granted our lower class is rich compared to other third world countries. Just saying
The world cannot all be management, some care little about working towards moving up the ladder. Some want to be given more than what they have worked for.

I am a high school drop out, I was homeless.

I am now retired at 50. I worked hard, I educated myself, and I lived on little so I could save.

If someone wants out of the lower classes it is completely doable. If they spent more time learning and less time complaining, that would be the first step. I would imagine one trying to get ahead would have little time for message boards as they would be busy learning basic accounting on line.... for free.

Complaining serves no purpose, but to vocalize excuses.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
In a nutshell - I'd suggest you stick with legal matters - math doesn't exactly seem to be your strong suit.

Let us try the math once again.

From 1996 to 2015 there were EXACTLY 272,318 births and 135,712 deaths. No more. No less.

Births - Deaths = 136,606 additional people.

The population increased about 115,271 in those same years. The entire population increase is attributed to more births than deaths AND more people leaving the island of Oahu than coming in to the island during that 1996 - 2015 timeframe - otherwise known as negative net migration. That isn't in a nutshell - it is what it is.

From 1996-2015, If 2/3 of the population growth was only "baby-making" and 1/3 net migration - that would mean the following:

Of the 115,271 people attributed to population growth from 1996-2015 - that would have to be comprised of: 167,322 births (2/3 of the total) + 83,661 net migration (1/3 of the total) - 135,712 deaths = 115,271 (population growth 1996 to 2015 on Oahu). except - there wasn't 167,322 births - there were 272,318 births in that timeframe.

For your scenario to be true with known numbers the population on Oahu would have to be: 272,318 births (a known public record number) + 136,159 net migration (1/3) - 135,712 deaths = 272,765 or a current population of 883,443 (1996) + known births (2/3) + net migration (1/3) - known deaths = 1,156,208 which we know isn't correct.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
The world cannot all be management, some care little about working towards moving up the ladder. Some want to be given more than what they have worked for.

I am a high school drop out, I was homeless.

I am now retired at 50. I worked hard, I educated myself, and I lived on little so I could save.

If someone wants out of the lower classes it is completely doable. If they spent more time learning and less time complaining, that would be the first step. I would imagine one trying to get ahead would have little time for message boards as they would be busy learning basic accounting on line.... for free.

Complaining serves no purpose, but to vocalize excuses.
For every one of the Dave Thomas stories there are 100,000 others doing the exact same thing he did without the same results. I have no ideal why we clash sistah you and me are same except I'm not retired. I was high school dropout, was homeless and own my own business. I'm not rich but I'm able to help others and take care of my needs. I'm not homeless now. I think the only difference sometimes is some look at lower class as a morality thing. I don't think lower class is morally wrong if that person is contributing. Yes I agree not everyone can be managment. My point often is if you do managment responsibilities you should have managment privileges like pay and title. To much in this country we give privilege to class, popularity, race, education etc. Everything except work/performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: