Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:08 AM

270 posts, read 506,257 times

Advertisements

These are really humorous. If visiting, I will use "them" and Us" to ensure purity of population separation.
Odd how mankind seems to adore placing himself on a different plane of "adoration", among his own equals. If not able to use "exterior" characteristics, we then create 'others" such as monetary means, place of residence, type worship of some spiritual source, or perceived level of intelligence. Further, we argue incessantly about OUR better "quality" in each of those "other" categories. Maybe we should try using just "compassionate acceptance of all beings", and use the rest of that spare time "demonstrating" that quality, instead of creating divisions. A much better hobby and happier too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 05:53 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times
I think if you speak pidgin you're a local.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:18 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
How about if they speak pidgin well, they can be a local? We had the painfully mainland haole in one of our groups read the pidgin version of "the Night Before Christmas" out loud last year. Whoohoo, but was it a hoot!

A local is someone who is part of the group of folks who lives here. It's all about ohana and hui. You can be part of the group and not live in Hawaii. You can live in Hawaii and not be part of the group.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 PM

19 posts, read 46,844 times
In my experience, from a "local" person's perspective, a local is someone who is born and raised in Hawaii. Simply having moved to and lived in Hawai'i for an extended period of time does not qualify you as a "true" local. The inverse is also true - a Hawaii born person who moved to the mainland after high school and lived there for 30 years would STILL be considered local, even though most of their time has been spent on the mainland.

Why? The reason I think is largely cultural. For example, many longtime transplants still won't be able to speak good pidgin or adopt a liking for local foods such as poi, poke, spam musubi ect. In my opinion, you can't be a true local without at least some natural comprehension of pidgin and the like.

I have several friends who are long-time transplants. None of them really consider themselves to be truly local, at least when they are around other Hawaii-born locals.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:59 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
I am part Native hawaiian and a lot of other parts; I was born and raised in Haweaii and attended private schools there. I do not and have never spoken pigeon but of course I understand it (most of my extended family speaks it).

Of course I am local. My hubby is an Alabama boy and fell quickly with my family and local ways. He only lived there for 7 years and uses some key words like "pau" and "Kanaka" but one would never think he is local. No problem, he fits in easily and loves Hawaii desperately.

There is a difference between local and kamaaina- not better or worse just...different.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:00 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
There is a difference between local and kamaaina- not better or worse just...different.
What's kanaaina?

Is that a good way to say a person who has lived in Hawaii for years and familiar with local ways, but didn't grow up there?

Or is kanaaina more like 'tourist' or 'outsider'?

Just curious...

Old 11-12-2011, 05:55 PM

9 posts, read 16,585 times
Who are these people you call"we"?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:10 PM

9 posts, read 16,585 times
So, "emulate"?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What's kanaaina?

Is that a good way to say a person who has lived in Hawaii for years and familiar with local ways, but didn't grow up there?

Or is kanaaina more like 'tourist' or 'outsider'?

Just curious...
Kama'aina means "child of the land". Kama is Hawaiian for child, aina is Hawaiian for land. But in the context of this thread it means you're a legal resident with a Hawaii driver's license so you get a "kamaaina discount" at local stores.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:35 PM

Pidgin is just like dialects everywhere. Whether you speak it or how strongly depends on social class and where you live. In the South there are people who talk like hicks and people who talk exactly the same a the typical Californian. In the Caribbean there are people who you wouldn't be able to understand and ones who you might mistake for British. Etc etc etc

Using some words doesn't mean speaking pidgin though. A lot of those words have made it all over the world. "Bruddah" and "shoots" made it all the way to the Caribbean. I think where non-locals get into trouble is trying to imitate the Hawaiian accent with their pidgin. We should probably stick to just using some of the words...
And also, upper class Californians especially should tone down the Guy Smiley gameshow host dialect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii