Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:26 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,556,325 times

Advertisements

prices aren't ridiculously lower than HI, but it does seem overall lower. Most of those prices would be seen as really good deals here. Like you'll get a couple of those on a cvs ad, but not the entire ad. And the first day of the sale on sunday, the shelves are emptied.

$0.69 for a half gallon milk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 08:38 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
prices aren't ridiculously lower than HI, but it does seem overall lower. Most of those prices would be seen as really good deals here. Like you'll get a couple of those on a cvs ad, but not the entire ad. And the first day of the sale on sunday, the shelves are emptied.

That is not a thing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-29-2017, 03:19 AM

^

What is not a thing? It's right there on the ad.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post

Sorry, I thought you meant here in HI.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:18 PM

^

No worries, sorry for the misunderstanding

Old 04-06-2017, 04:48 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Sorry, I thought you meant here in HI.

Isn't that a Kroger ad from Hawaii?

Old 04-06-2017, 10:21 AM

Not that I know of, and I checked their website and nothing showed for Hawaii.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:25 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Not that I know of, and I checked their website and nothing showed for Hawaii.

Hmm wonder why this was even posted then?

~Originally Posted by Jungjohann
Here you go, you poor ting;

https://www.kroger.com/weeklyad?Stor...DivisionId=021

Old 04-06-2017, 10:29 AM

When you open it, it says: No Store Selected

Old 04-06-2017, 11:37 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
So somewhere on the mainland, there's a place to buy milk at 69¢ a half gallon. Which would make it $1.38 per gallon. Around here milk runs about $5.99 a gallon - not including tax, here in Hawaii we get taxed on food so that $5.99 gallon of milk actually costs us $6.23. We use about a gallon a week. So we pay $324 per year for milk here in Hawaii.

If the mainland store had no tax on food, then we'd pay $71.76 per year for the same amount of milk. If the same tax were added to the mainland milk it would be $1.44 per gallon or $74.88 per year.

This sort of thing adds up when it's applied to EVERYTHING you buy. So, folks in Hawaii buy less stuff and we shop for sales and get creative about how we get things.

We grow a lot of stuff to eat and a lot of folks have food producing trees in their yards. Trees are nice in that they don't need much care once they're established. The orange tree will pretty much give you more oranges than you can eat in the winter time. Tangerine trees give during more times of the year. Avocados are seasonal, but different varieties give at different times so there's generally avocados available about three quarters of the year. Lemons are similar. Coconuts are when ever they fall. Papayas don't seem to have much of a season, pineapples are mostly a summer thing. The other thing with trees is that they give so much that you can't eat it all so you share with everyone. Then, when their trees are giving, they share with everyone, too. So you don't have to have one of each type of fruit tree, you just need a friend who has one.

We don't need a large garden, a very small one will do since it can go year round. We just need enough lettuce and tomatoes for salads so that's only a three or four fairly short rows of leaf lettuces and about six tomato plants. With leaf lettuce, we just harvest the outside leaves and let the plant keep growing. When it gets old and tough, then it's fed to the rabbits who make fertilizer for us.

The hens lay eggs and rooster soup cures crowing. There's fish in the sea and pigs on the mountain and if you don't want to go get them yourself, probably some of your friend's kids are thrilled to sell you some of what they catch. Helps them pay for the gas in the boat to go get more. I buy eggs from my friend to help her along since she's on a fixed income. I don't save any money on eggs, but I do get really fresh eggs from chickens running around eating bugs and grasses so the yolks are a dark orange. We just got our beef order in from our local farmer friend. We only got two thirds of what we'd hoped for since the steer wasn't as large as he'd hoped, but it's enough to hold us for the next year until the next steer.

So, no, you don't have to be rich in money to live in Hawaii. You need to be rich in friends, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii