Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 01:29 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Let me clarify my statement so it's crystal clear. I never said the N word and Haole were on equal terms.

I did say both are racist terms. One to much more of a degree than the other but both racist.
Ironically, kids here use the "n" word constantly. I get called it too, affectionately, as in "Mister -------, my ni&&a"! I gently remind them that it is not appropriate. They laugh it off and say something like "you know I love you".
Occasionally when we talk story, they refer to me as a haole. I'm not offended by the word (unless it is preceded by the "f" word). On several occasions, kids have opened up to tell me WHY they hate white people. One Hawaiian boy told me he was fishing (possibly in front of my building). A old white guy stuck an I-pad over his balcony rail and stated: "I'm filming this and sending it to the police! You are trespassing!"
I pointed out that old people are often afraid of teenage males. I then added that ONE incident is hardly justification to hate an entire race, and to text me next time he wanted to fish here. I will sit with him.
He and many others told me that their parents "hate haoles".
Once in a while, tempers flare at school. If one of those involved is white, many of the non-white kids instantly unite against the haole. Sad and unfair, particularly since most of them are NOT even Hawaiian.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:51 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post

And Dave, once you've lived here for a few decades, maybe your viewpoint on the term haole will change. It's not nearly as toxic as some make it out to be.
Jungjohann..The problem lies in the fact that White Folks just ain't comfortable with other peeps calling them a name...no matter how benign..

a superiority issue, Most Whites have always offhandedly utilized less flattering names for other races with impunity..

In 40 years, whites will be a minority in the Continental US...already a done deal in Hawai'i

Palefaces will have to deal with it..

Well, not me..my ashes will have already been spread per my wishes, in the Atlantic/Pacific Oceans, and the Caribbean Sea.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:24 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Meh. Been here 30 years, and still call myself haole. Primarily because I look local, and to stave off discussion on where I went to high school. Pake, popolo, portugee..... are all common terms in Hawaii and they do not indicate a derogatory term, but they can.

This thread has taken a toxic turn, or perhaps started that way, so this is good place to end it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii