Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 08:51 AM

986 posts, read 1,855,429 times

Advertisements

I've been to Kauai, Hawaii many times, as my family used to have a timeshare there. I know the island well, and adore it.

I'm planning a trip back to Hawaii in the fall (September-November some time) and would like to check out 1-2 additional islands during my trip. I'm open to the duration of my trip (2 weeks to a month - I'm flexible!). I'm hoping you can help me narrow it down to 2-3 islands including Kauai as one of them.

Here's what I'm interested in:

- Plenty of local businesses to check out - coffee shops, smoothie joints, yoga studios, boutiques, breweries, etc. - lots of locally-made goods and cool indie shops to check out.
- Good snorkeling right off the beach or a boat ride away. (I have not been overly impressed by Kauai snorkeling if that helps?)
- Good beginner surfing beaches for longboarding.
- Kayaking
- Good day hikes.

What are your suggestions for other islands to check out besides Kauai? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 09:57 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,789,553 times
Oahu easily meets all the criteria followed by Maui

Old 06-02-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Oahu easily meets all the criteria followed by Maui
Thank you.

I love the peacefulness of Kauai, but I think whichever other island I go to, I want there to be more to do there especially in the evening. Would Oahu fit the bill?

Old 06-02-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
Thank you.

I love the peacefulness of Kauai, but I think whichever other island I go to, I want there to be more to do there especially in the evening. Would Oahu fit the bill?
Honolulu is a major metropolitan US city - it doesn't quiet down in the evenings like the other islands.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:40 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,914,932 times
Yup, Oahu never sleeps, there's always something going on somewhere. It does get a bit quiet between 4 am to 5 am, but you'd still be able to find stuff that's open 24 hours.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:53 PM

941 posts, read 1,958,740 times
All of the islands have everything you're looking for, you just have to get out and explore. The one exception maybe kayaking, I'm not sure how much there is around Maui, and I only know about Kelakekua bay guided tours on BI. There is snorkeling everywhere, but it's best on the BI. Every island has a local brewery I think, but I haven't been to Kona brewery nor any on Oahu.

You have to think about what you want that is unique to each island:

- Oahu: big city with all shopping and dining options, Hawaiian history (Iolani palace and Bishop museum), WW2 history (Pearl Harbor), lots of ridge trails. Downsides: crowds and traffic.

- Maui: tons of beaches, road to Hana (including Ohelo gulch, lush forest, waterfalls), easy access to high altitude crater and trails (Haleakala). Downsides: overdeveloped areas.

- Big Island: active volcano and lava viewing, great snorkeling, lots of varied hiking. Downsides: long drives between areas.

Since you mentioned local products, I will say there is a newish store on Kauai called the Kauai Store that sells only things made by local artisans, crafters, and cooks. It's on the east side, next to cost-u-less.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
All of the islands have everything you're looking for, you just have to get out and explore. The one exception maybe kayaking, I'm not sure how much there is around Maui, and I only know about Kelakekua bay guided tours on BI. There is snorkeling everywhere, but it's best on the BI. Every island has a local brewery I think, but I haven't been to Kona brewery nor any on Oahu.

You have to think about what you want that is unique to each island:

- Oahu: big city with all shopping and dining options, Hawaiian history (Iolani palace and Bishop museum), WW2 history (Pearl Harbor), lots of ridge trails. Downsides: crowds and traffic.

- Maui: tons of beaches, road to Hana (including Ohelo gulch, lush forest, waterfalls), easy access to high altitude crater and trails (Haleakala). Downsides: overdeveloped areas.

- Big Island: active volcano and lava viewing, great snorkeling, lots of varied hiking. Downsides: long drives between areas.

Since you mentioned local products, I will say there is a newish store on Kauai called the Kauai Store that sells only things made by local artisans, crafters, and cooks. It's on the east side, next to cost-u-less.
Thank you, that's very insightful! I am really leaning towards Maui right now...

Old 06-19-2017, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 794 times
Hey Kiwi!

Kauai is our favorite island! We've been to all four major islands on multiple trips - my wife lived on Oahu as a kid. Everyone we've ever met who have been to all four major islands love Kauai the most. We have also found that those who go to Maui have rarely visited the other islands. These seem to be the two islands that garner the most loyalty from those who love them.

That said...our 2nd favorite island is Oahu. By far. Frankly, I don't think there's much to do on Maui beyond the Road to Hana. If you divide the island into it's four quadrants, the North Leeward side is just resorts - aka the reason all of my friends with lots of money ever go to Maui - though Lahaiana is definitely cute. The North Windward side is devoid of much to do. The South Leeward side down to Kihei are just unimaginative small towns mostly filled up with condos of either locals or tourists. And then there's the South Windward side - the Road to Hana! That's worth the trip right there. And that's about the extent of it. Of course, you would also want to watch the sunrise or sunset from Haleakala. Last year we did Hawaii Island (HI) and Maui. The year before that Kauai and Oahu. This year we returned to Kauai and Oahu. Next trip will probably be HI and either Kauai or Oahu. We'll put off Maui for some distant future trip. We really can't come up with much to do there while the other islands are packed full of activities.

Therefore...why you should DEFINITELY visit Oahu next - aside from what has been said above:

1. The Ko'olau mountain range. Along the Windward side is the most beautiful drive in the islands with the Ko'olau on your left and the ocean on your right, sometimes probably as close to a mile between the two. The H3 Highway from the Windward side (at Kailua - a great little place to stay) over to Honolulu is the most beautiful drive in the world! (It has to be anyway. ;-) Check out the YouTube drone view of the H3!

2. Snorkeling: Hanauma Bay is an amazing spot and probably only 2nd or 3rd to Kapoho Tidepools (HI) - #1!, which we just call The Fishbowls, because it literally looks like you're snorkeling in a fishbowl and the corals are incredible as are the fish - and Tunnels on Kauai. We never did Kealakekua Bay on Hawaii Island, which we hear is amazing. But we've been everywhere else. Also great snorkeling on HI is Shark's Cove and Turtle Beach, both of which we saw plenty of honu! Great snorkeling to be found on Oahu.

3. Honolulu & Waikiki - as suggested above so full of history and culture. I can't add anything to the discussion. It's just a great place to spend a week exploring.

4. The North Shore - especially Haleiwa and the beaches. It's a great place to relax. Obviously, in the Winter you'll never find parking so don't bother. But if you are brave, you'll enjoy the great surf (watching!)

5. The South Shore - everything you encounter after leaving Honolulu going South is amazing, including the little town of Hawaii Kai, and the road leading past there through Hanauma Bay on the right and Koko Head on the left - which you might want to hike up - down and around the South shore is a great drive that ends up around at Waimanalo - great safe beaches for swimming.

Well...I could go on about Oahu. It's our first choice after Kauai and you won't be bored there at all!

Enjoy!

Old 06-24-2017, 07:44 AM

919 posts, read 785,326 times
I've got to disagree with Kauai_No_Ka_Oi who has changed the well known expression Maui no ka oi by the way

I loved Kauai but definitely prefer Maui. I don't think its necessary to say negative things about another island as Kauai_No_Ka_Oi did to make a point. All the Hawaiian islands have their positives its just a personal preference.

I will say I have a hard time understanding the statement "We really can't come up with much to do there
(Maui) while the other islands are packed full of activities" as it is Kauai that, for all it's natural beauty, has less "to do" than the other islands. This is a pretty common opinion I think and the OP did mention hoping to find more things to do than he found on Kauai.

What I find to do on Maui is fantastic snorkeling from one of the many beaches on Maui. Also so many great restaurants of all price ranges that you can't possibly begin to try them all. Lahaina town, The wonderful humpback whales inJan-March, etc etc. There is good reason Maui is the most popular of the Hawaiian islands. It is a more developed island, but less so than Oahu - little bit of everything
Dave

Old 06-24-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
There is good reason Maui is the most popular of the Hawaiian islands.
Hmmm, how do you define "most popular"

In 2016, 5.4 million people visited Oahu and of those 4.1 million didn't visit another island. Less than half visited Maui (2.6 million) and 1.6 million of those didn't visit another island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii