Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 12:29 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,802,782 times

Advertisements

For work, I fly basically every week. I fly all over the world, domestic & international. I never fly without wifi for the past couple years, including international.

For some reason, the long flights to Hawaii NEVER have wifi. I know the ones from the West coast do (the short ones), but not from any of the far ones. I don't understand, why?! International oversea flights have wifi, but why not to Hawaii?? I don't get it

Last edited by unknown00; 06-11-2017 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 02:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,725,682 times
It depends on the wifi hardware the plane has onboard. Some planes although equipped with wifi aren't setup for satellite wifi hence won't work over the ocean. In those cases they are using ground to air wifi.

Delta is fairly aggressive with putting satellite wifi in planes - before you book try to find out from the airline if 1) do they have any wifi, for instance no wifi on Hawaiian and 2) if they have wifi is it satellite or ground to air

Old 06-11-2017, 03:58 PM

111 posts, read 89,621 times
I would guess that if there isn't a good technological explanation then it could be a superstitious explanation. You see, traditionally, men visiting Hawaii in the past had taken a liking to native Hawaii women and used them like hookers. This went on a long time. Women, being far more superstitious than men, probably see the word "wi-fi" as closely related to the word "wife" but with a reductionist sort of quality to it. So, add on to that superstition the near rhyme of the words "Hawaii" and "wi-fi" and you start to see that maybe the lack of onboard wi-fi has to do with semantics and wordplay a lot more than technology and service. Unfortunately, in the Reduced States of America, powerful people make decisions based on superstition and wordplay rather than logic and reality. But don't go asking airline CEOs about their superstiutious belief decisions, they will deny their follies.

I think it all boils down to the subtle message that Hawaiian women aren't going to be your wifies anymore.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:24 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,944,290 times
It could be that there just aren't many satellites over the empty spaces of the Pacific. I know that's why satellite TV cuts out about 50 miles over the ocean past California. DirecTV isn't going to pay millions of dollars to put satellites up over areas where there aren't going to be many subscribers (I knew someone once who worked for the territorial govt in Guam, and they tried to negotiate with Dish and DirecTV to launch service in Guam and the Northern Marianas Islands. When the companies ran the numbers, they realized they would never earn back the money it would cost to launch the satellite). When you fly from the mainland US to Asia, planes actually travel the great circle route and fly up over Canada and Alaska rather than across the ocean as distance-wise it's shorter and doesn't involve flying into the jetstream, so there is more a chance they'd be close to where data satellites operate.

The test would be flying to Australia from North America, which does cross a lot of open Ocean. The last time I made that flight, Wi-Fi on planes was still a fantasy, so it would be interesting if someone who went recently knows.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
It could be that there just aren't many satellites over the empty spaces of the Pacific. I know that's why satellite TV cuts out about 50 miles over the ocean past California. DirecTV isn't going to pay millions of dollars to put satellites up over areas where there aren't going to be many subscribers (I knew someone once who worked for the territorial govt in Guam, and they tried to negotiate with Dish and DirecTV to launch service in Guam and the Northern Marianas Islands. When the companies ran the numbers, they realized they would never earn back the money it would cost to launch the satellite).

The test would be flying to Australia from North America, which does cross a lot of open Ocean. The last time I made that flight, Wi-Fi on planes was still a fantasy, so it would be interesting if someone who went recently knows.
There are plenty of satellites over the Pacfic to provide wifi coverage. The plane has to have satellite based wifi as opposed to ground to air.

There are no problems accessing wifi from Australia to North America

We get DirectTV in Hawaii. They are different satellites than the N America satellites

Old 06-17-2017, 08:15 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,778,443 times
All the plane wi-fi systems I've used rely on cell towers.

No cell towers over water=no internet.

International planes are an entirely different economy of scale and can afford much more expensive satellite wi-fi.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:07 PM

48,253 posts, read 34,376,230 times
I'm pretty sure I've been on flights with wifi..... not something I would pay for, we come loaded with books, movies and TV shows on our devices, and I haven't flown internationally in decades.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-19-2017, 04:21 PM

85 posts, read 97,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
For some reason, the long flights to Hawaii NEVER have wifi. I know the ones from the West coast do (the short ones), but not from any of the far ones. I don't understand, why?! International oversea flights have wifi, but why not to Hawaii?? I don't get it
Have you ever called? Perhaps you are not choosing the correct airlines.
Flights from Newark to Honolulu on United have wifi.
Longest 11 hours of a man's life right there though, save the wifi and give me bourbon and a pillow.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:06 PM

If you want Wifi to/from Hawaii, here is what is available from the US carriers:

Hawaiian - no wifi, none announced

United - some wifi, all planes except the 737 and 757 have satellite wifi

American - maybe. They are in process of installing satellite wifi, it will take up to 2 years to complete.

Alaska - soon, they are in process of installing satellite wifi, will take up to 2 years

Virgin America - no, they have ground based wifi, likely to change since Alaska bought them

Delta - some wifi, in process of upgrading to satellite wifi

Old 06-21-2017, 03:00 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,537,357 times
the newer planes do offer it. and the internet connection is through satellite, so it's more expensive. I've flown on international flights that offered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii