Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:07 AM

14 posts, read 17,181 times

Advertisements

I recently moved here on about 90k with the GOV as well and if you're looking at a 1br or studio, and you don't have pets, you will be fine financially depending on your other debts. The Feds will pay your bus pass, so try and get that if you can.

Will you be working in Pearl or one of the other posts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 03:11 PM

16 posts, read 18,614 times
I just moved here from Texas...and I even moved where most recommended not to, Waianae, and I adore it here. We found a gem of a place closer to Nanakuli for 1500 and love it. Yes there is traffic, but I get to look at the ocean my whole ride. It truly is a give and take. I was truly surprised to find that gas was about the same as it was in Texas....milk was not $8...and I have yet to experience racism. We sold everything, shipped our cars and took the plunge...only thing i recommend is use Matson to ship your car....food is a bit more but i am learning to eat local....i love it here and plan on retiring here....all the luck to you....there are pros and cons....weed out the extreme and just follow your gut!

Old 07-11-2017, 04:25 PM

13 posts, read 21,108 times
Thanks for the added info - definitely helpful. And I'll be working in Pearl itself - sounds like you are there too (Federalguy)? And no pets or major debts, though I'm sure we all have a couple things (some student loans). I'm still trying to determine convenient areas to live that are next to Pearl, since ideally I want a short commute. I think the military bases generally all have wait lists - did you find that to be the case? I'm taking a downgrade from a GS13 to a "high step" 12 - basically meaning pay should be about equal. The one negative is that they aren't paying relocation, but hey you can't get everything sometimes if you want Hawaii..

And thanks for the car shipping recommendation (Kristen). So, Matson offered a reliable and cost effective way to ship the vehicle? Sounds like you don't regret going there at all - that's encouraging.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_n8 View Post
Thanks for the added info - definitely helpful. And I'll be working in Pearl itself - sounds like you are there too (Federalguy)? And no pets or major debts, though I'm sure we all have a couple things (some student loans). I'm still trying to determine convenient areas to live that are next to Pearl, since ideally I want a short commute. I think the military bases generally all have wait lists - did you find that to be the case? I'm taking a downgrade from a GS13 to a "high step" 12 - basically meaning pay should be about equal. The one negative is that they aren't paying relocation, but hey you can't get everything sometimes if you want Hawaii..

And thanks for the car shipping recommendation (Kristen). So, Matson offered a reliable and cost effective way to ship the vehicle? Sounds like you don't regret going there at all - that's encouraging.
I don't work in Pearl but I've had to go there a few times in the morning. It is a joke getting through those gates in the morning rush hour. Most places outside of north shore and far leeward (Waianae) are going to be a close commute, but that's relative to what you're used to doing now. Where I live it's about 10-15 min to get to the gates then whatever time to get past the sentry. Depending on your start time, that will vary. 6am it's packed already.

There are some locations that are available for federal employees to rent on base. That is subject to availability, and what you're willing to pay, but there are openings for sure. I live in "base housing" and there are open units there. The cost is a little more than what you would see in private rentals but generally speaking, they are managed better and offer more space both inside and outside. Check Ohana Military housing and contact them. They will send you current openings and the floor plans with costs. They suck at responding to emails though, so stay on top of them. They all take pets, if that were something to consider for you in the future. You also get access to all base housing so you can use the pools and the gyms. We pay about $2300/mo which includes all utilities and central AC (no internet incl.) that's a two bedroom 1.5 bath townhouse 8 miles from Honolulu. When I came it was also one month free when you sign the lease so effective cost is about 2100/mo with utilities included which is below market in my mind. That being said, there are full military homes you can rent for 3500-4500 a month if you want to get wild with the housing costs. Ours is about the cheapest base housing you will find. You can also contact Hickam housing communities and see what they have. Definitely more expensive but very close to PH.

I shipped two cars here via Matson. Both sustained some minimal damage, so be sure to check. I paid $2200 from East Coast for one and $900-1000 for shipping one out of Seattle. I used a third party facilitator for that, which was cheaper than booking directly through Matson. I can provide you the name of the company I dealt with if you wish. They were awesome.

If you have any questions feel free to let me know.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:50 PM

That's useful information. I'll definitely look into the base housing - not super cheap it sounds like, but perhaps worth it. The extra space, decent upkeep, and gym access would be nice. I was curious about the commute, and I hadn't thought about the potential difficulty in getting through the gates and accessing the base - appears it may take some time each day. At my job now in DC I'm somewhat lucky and have a bicycle commute of about 5 minutes each way, and simply show my badge at the door, which takes a few seconds. Plus they offer something called maxi-flex where I work, which allows me to come within 2 hours of my start time as long as I make up the time - basically I generally come in late every day (9:30 or 10am) and stay late, but I have a feeling that the navy/military might not be as flexible as far as one's time goes. And I also enjoy working my 4 ten hour days currently, and getting a 3 day weekend every weekend as well...I guess I'll find out all the schedule stuff later though. I'm thinking of driving my car from here in DC to either Seattle or LA before the trip out there. Not necessarily cheaper, but thought I'd make a road trip out of it. I take it you moved out there form the East Coast as well? I may shoot you a "direct message" as well to get some more details if you're ok with that?

Old 07-11-2017, 06:04 PM

Another question concerning transit. It's probably not as doable or common, but is it possible to commute by bicycle there, or have you seen many do it? I love the idea of continuing to get some exercise during my commute, but I assume Pearl Harbor and the surrounding areas probably aren't as bike friendly as DC. The traffic around DC is a nightmare, so being able to get around everywhere by bicycle makes everything much easier and less stressful - of course you still have to dodge some aggressive drivers and clueless tourists hogging up the pathways...

Old 07-11-2017, 07:22 PM

Feel free to message me.

I don't personally bike, but there are bike lanes. I also see people biking directly in to PH. There are a lot of people that bike here, so I'm sure it's possible. How "bike friendly" it is would be better left to someone who actually rides. There are bike lanes though and PH itself has a bike path around the perimeter that stretches all the way to Leeward Oahu. Also, the traffic in and around PH and town isn't TERRIBLE in the mornings other than the gates and near construction. Most FEDs I have met on the island work early shifts to avoid the traffic in the AM. Evening traffic is a different story is bad most days but that is entirely destination based. If you are heading east from town it's bad only if you're going past Pearl City. PH going east or within a few miles will be nothing.

I know when I applied to a DOD with the Navy job here, they did offer limited flexible scheduling, but I suspect it's up to command at each location.

Also, not sure if they shared the HI payscale with you that includes the COLA but it can be tough to find accurately online. It's close to D.C. GS13/3 is $104,420 here, of which 10% is not subject to any federal income tax or payroll taxes. Keep in mind that affects your TSP contribution if you use the % method to contribute as well as your pension calculation because it's technically not "pay."

Old 07-11-2017, 07:29 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,927,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_n8 View Post
Another question concerning transit. It's probably not as doable or common, but is it possible to commute by bicycle there, or have you seen many do it? I love the idea of continuing to get some exercise during my commute, but I assume Pearl Harbor and the surrounding areas probably aren't as bike friendly as DC. The traffic around DC is a nightmare, so being able to get around everywhere by bicycle makes everything much easier and less stressful - of course you still have to dodge some aggressive drivers and clueless tourists hogging up the pathways...
Read this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/oahu/...-honolulu.html

Old 07-12-2017, 11:26 AM

Thanks for that thread on biking. Looks like it might be easier to just drive, and enjoy the biking during my personal time. And it seems like if I live close, and time the traffic it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I was trying to do a little research on "COLA" and pay calculations, and it does seem fairly comparable to DC, but a little confusing with the taxes. I'm still debating housing options - when I get some more down time, I'm definitely going to contact some of the bases for housing options.

I know that every place has its ups and downs, but for the most part it seems as though everyone has been pleased they've taken the plunge and moved to Hawaii.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:56 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,539,301 times
the one location that might make sense to bike into hickam/pearl harbor is salt lake. Youre probably looking at a 20-30 minute bike time, depending on where you are in salt lake, and where your worksite is on base. Biking downhill getting to work, then uphill getting back home.

It may be possible to bike from aiea via the pearl harbor bike path, but I think that bike path ends by aloha stadium, then you'd cut over to kam highway, and bike all the way to the gate, then into the base. If it wasn't a secured location, and you'd be able to bike straight into the base, it would be a lot faster. But you need to take a long detour to the main gate. Salt lake is more ideal because of it's location in relation to the main gate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii