Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 07:27 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,889,907 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing if someone is gonna toss a nuke at Hawaii, they'd aim at Pearl Harbor? An attack there (that was still in pre-nuke days) was what got the U.S. into WWII, although hopefully since that's already been done, they won't bother to do it again.

Can we make a rule that if a country declares war on somebody else, they have to send their politicians and top military people in first? No military strikes unless they're leading the charge? Betcha that would bring out a lot more diplomacy and world peace.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:24 AM

330 posts, read 175,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Well, at least my cats have had their revenge.

And, quite honestly, I could give less of a s**t about north korea. But, if you want to worry about it for those of us who live in Hawaii, mahalo for the effort
As I said (sort of), It isn't how little you care about N. Korea, it's how much N. Korea (Kim J. Pork Chop, et al) care about YOU, that matters.

While a cavalier attitude may be de rigueur, it isn't wise.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:55 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,541,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 2 4 View Post
As I said (sort of), It isn't how little you care about N. Korea, it's how much N. Korea (Kim J. Pork Chop, et al) care about YOU, that matters.

As someone who lives here, I suspect that I'm not the only one with a 'cavalier' attitude when it comes to the 'Supreme Leader' in North Korea. Why don't you check with some of your friends and ohana over here and tell me I'm in the minority. But, as I said, if you want to worry for us, mahalo for the effort.

As always, ha'awi mai i maha

Old 07-27-2017, 01:15 PM

330 posts, read 175,455 times
Quote:
As someone who lives here, I suspect that I'm not the only one with a 'cavalier' attitude when it comes to the 'Supreme Leader' in North Korea. Why don't you check with some of your friends and ohana over here and tell me I'm in the minority. But, as I said, if you want to worry for us, mahalo for the effort.

As always, ha'awi mai i maha
I have no doubt that such issues rarely enter the radar screen of most Hawaiians. But that is besides the point. The threat and the risk exists regardless of the concern of it's potential victims (or lack thereof). Thankfully, those with broader horizons have taken the potential a bit more seriously.

It is not uncommon for people to underestimate, or dismiss entirely (often sanctimoniously), the threat posed by such tyrants, but history shows such cavalier attitudes to be quite costly far too often.

The leverage provided by modern weaponry, including fissile, "dirty", and EMP devices have upped the ante considerably. It is no longer necessary to raise huge armies, and then march them to the enemies door.

As I understand it, Porkchop already has 2 satellites in orbits that regularly over-fly the US that are capable of generating EMP blasts that would destroy much of our power grid and most of our other equipment.

I am not sure "worry" is the right word.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:32 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,889,907 times
Quote:
<SNIP>
As I understand it, Porkchop already has 2 satellites in orbits that regularly over-fly the US that are capable of generating EMP blasts that would destroy much of our power grid and most of our other equipment.<SNIP>
A house sized Faraday cage isn't gonna save the internet, although it might save the computers inside the house. Guess everything should be backed up to hardcopy? Although, if there's an EMP that takes out our computer, there's more to worry about than losing family pictures. Still wouldn't hurt to have more of the best ones printed out, though.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,761,942 times
Quote:
As I understand it, Porkchop already has 2 satellites in orbits that regularly over-fly the US that are capable of generating EMP blasts that would destroy much of our power grid and most of our other equipment.

Now that was funny.

The United States has already detonated a high altitude nuclear weapon near Honolulu in 1962 which was far more powerful than any of the nuclear weapons dropped on Japan.

The blast was clearly visible from Honolulu and the effect was knocking out some street lamps - hardly destroying much of the power grid, etc......

Known as Operation Starfish Prime......

Old 07-27-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Are these North Koreas new 'steerable' satellites??? Would really like to see a source on this, other than Fox News or Breitbart. As far as 'crazy' world leaders are concerned, I suspect the U.S. is clearly winning that battle.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,761,942 times
Quote:
Are these North Koreas new 'steerable' satellites???
The satellites he is mentioning aren't they themselves capable of an EMP pulse. What he is referring to is the concept of detonating a nuclear bomb high in the atmosphere which in theory can generate the pulse.

First off, the satellites have to have a nuclear bomb which right off the bat is far fetched at best.

Then they'd have to work - which is unlikely.

Then you'd have to somehow get them right over Hawaii and detonate them at the precise moment....

Then, it would actually have to generate the EMP pulse, and as I've mentioned in a previous post, the US already did it 1962 near Honolulu (Operation Starfish Prime)

But lets play the game, assume it has a bomb, assume it works, assume it actually generates a pulse, assume the US wouldn't already just knock it out of the sky if it suspected that, N Korea wouldn't bother with Hawaii - you'd blast the thing over the continental US where it could actually do real damage......

Old 07-27-2017, 03:30 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,144,204 times
Quote:
But it seems to be the.prevailing attitude of Hawai'i.
Now if he'said he's planning to target Costco, then we might get concerned.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
But lets play the game, assume it has a bomb, assume it works, assume it actually generates a pulse, assume the US wouldn't already just knock it out of the sky if it suspected that, N Korea wouldn't bother with Hawaii - you'd blast the thing over the continental US where it could actually do real damage......
Are you trying to say that us folks in Hawaii aren't worthy of being 'blasted'???

I know you've hung out at the Mai Tai Bar.........................

Been there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: