U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:13 PM

201 posts, read 729,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
If you go to visit, you should be fine. It's when you live there, or go off the beaten path. Some Hawaiians hate whites due to the fact that the first non Hawaiians to go over were white missionaries. I'm sure that if another race other than white was to show up, then they would hate them instead. The missionaries that stayed, bought land from the Hawaiians very cheap. As more Europeans came over, they also would buy up land. In the 1800's more people were interested in Hawaii and so they moved in and kinda took over. What was not private property was bought out by the U.S. Government. The Hawaiian Royalty was very much mislead as to what exactly was going to happen. They were not treated very well. They didn't get respect. Both America and England were very interested in "owning" Hawaii. It became a push and shove between America nad England. The Hawaiians saw only whites wanting to come in and take over. We didn't take it, like we took America from the Indians, we bought it from the HAwaiians. But they still are holding that dislike for whites to this day. That's what we were taught in school there, but you can always look it up. Since as a kid, I didn't really care.
you're so full of it

Old 04-24-2008, 07:56 AM

118 posts, read 472,124 times
Default Hate Crimes & Civil Rights

My limited experience with native Hawaiians was pleasant, but as I can see from the many posts, it's not always that way for everybody. I think the vast majority of Hawaiians would not commit any hate crimes or civil rights violations, but if the posts are true and not exaggerated, it appears there are some that do. It's sad that prejudice exits in this world, but we have to face that we can't just wish it to go away merely by talking about it. Talking is a start, but it's no magic pill; and if it's not constructive dialogue, it can sometimes exacerbate a problem - with name calling and other negative often unsubstantiated opinions just thrown out recklessly. Law enforcement, both criminal and civil, must be vigorously applied; and that will only happen if the elected government and it's legal branches directly address this scourge. You can't expect the self-righteous violator to police him/herself, that's farcical. Blacks organized and rightfully demanded these ignored prejudicial practices end. They achieved much and won many righteous battles; they even brought a great many former violators over to their side. Of course there is still more to do, and the battles may go on for years, but we can't deny that having a black man running in the lead for president is a great milestone for our once very segregated prejudiced country.

Non-native Hawaiians must come together with native Hawaiians and any other groups that despise any form of hate crimes or civil rights violations and fight for what's right. They can't continue to sit on their butts and allow this cancer to fester and grow. They need to organize, protest openly, and rally the elected governments to address this serious problem; and work vigorously to bring all people together for the common good. Somebody on the islands that has suffered in the past, or is suffering now, should start a meaningful petition for positve change and get this most urgent issue addressed!

Last edited by Paddywagons; 04-24-2008 at 08:07 AM..

Old 04-24-2008, 11:05 AM

4 posts, read 13,990 times
Imagine a Russian moving to your hometown, barely able to speak English. Although he's the newcomer, he implies that YOU are deficient. Why? Because you don't speak Russian!
How would you feel about this person?
This is what Kohala Coast tennis and others do with their perception of a Hawaiian local with a "weak mastery of standard English." Actually, the reverse is true. It is the newcomer who has a weak mastery of the local language.
Hawai'i Creole English is a functional, fully recognized language with written rules of pronunciation and grammar. It is NOT English used incorrectly. Although it is commonly called "pidgin", HCE is a creole language. Therefore, it is technically incorrect to refer to it as a pidgin language.
Today's discrimination against haoles in Hawai'i is merely a reaction. Racism, like other white diseases, was brought to Hawai'i by white men.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:14 AM

964 posts, read 733,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelehua View Post
Imagine a Russian moving to your hometown, barely able to speak English. Although he's the newcomer, he implies that YOU are deficient. Why? Because you don't speak Russian!
How would you feel about this person?
This is what Kohala Coast tennis and others do with their perception of a Hawaiian local with a "weak mastery of standard English." Actually, the reverse is true. It is the newcomer who has a weak mastery of the local language.
Hawai'i Creole English is a functional, fully recognized language with written rules of pronunciation and grammar. It is NOT English used incorrectly. Although it is commonly called "pidgin", HCE is a creole language. Therefore, it is technically incorrect to refer to it as a pidgin language.
Today's discrimination against haoles in Hawai'i is merely a reaction. Racism, like other white diseases, was brought to Hawai'i by white men.
White diseases? I think European diseases would be a better defintion. Thats like saying all Africans are black. Its not correct.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:18 AM

I'll give you that, although all Europeans aren't white.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:30 PM

617 posts, read 1,463,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelehua View Post
That's a cop out.

Whether you call it a disease or a reaction or whatever, racism is wrong. Period. As long as good people attempt to justify it with other historical "wrongs" or by pointing fingers elsewhere, it will continue to flourish.

The police officer who sneered the word "haole" at my son is no different than the guy who called my cousin, my sister and me "greasy wops" back in the late 60s. The racism directed at me didn't give me an excuse to be racist toward anyone else. The "disease" you mention spreads by choice. You choose to be racist or to sit by and say nothing (or make excuses for it) when you see or hear it. Otherwise, you stand up and call it out when you see it. You speak up. Each of us must make that choice.

Only one choice will end racism. The other allows it to grow.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:34 PM

[quote=scorpy01;3562370]
You choose to be racist or to sit by and say nothing (or make excuses for it) when you see or hear it. Otherwise, you stand up and call it out when you see it. You speak up. Each of us must make that choice.
quote]

Gee, scorpy, I thought I was doing just that - calling it out by pointing out a supposition that standard English is preferable to HCE.

I think you misunderstood my statement; I don't condone discrimination against whites or any other race, in Hawai'i or elsewhere.

I simply don't believe that the discrimination against whites in Hawai'i is based on race. I believe that it's a reaction to the racism that many whites have shown and continue to show to non-whites.

Treating someone differently because of their race is entirely different from developing a bitterness towards your oppressors.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:36 PM

7,759 posts, read 11,032,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
That's a cop out.

Whether you call it a disease or a reaction or whatever, racism is wrong. Period. As long as good people attempt to justify it with other historical "wrongs" or by pointing fingers elsewhere, it will continue to flourish.

The police officer who sneered the word "haole" at my son is no different than the guy who called my cousin, my sister and me "greasy wops" back in the late 60s. The racism directed at me didn't give me an excuse to be racist toward anyone else. The "disease" you mention spreads by choice. You choose to be racist or to sit by and say nothing (or make excuses for it) when you see or hear it. Otherwise, you stand up and call it out when you see it. You speak up. Each of us must make that choice.

Only one choice will end racism. The other allows it to grow.
Well said.

It is always disturbing to read these threads. Folks are brutally honest and open about their racism. Switch 'Haoles' with the "N word" and you could be reading statements from Mississipi in the late 1950s. And the rush to defend, qualify or apologize for these parochial, xenophobic views would be laughable were they not so hateful.

The irony is that most people in Hawaii are not even indigenous to Hawaii. The vast majority of Hawaiians originally come from other Pacific Islands, Asia or the Mainland. The only thing they have in common is perhaps a profound lack of self-esteem.

And this nonsense about resenting a colonial policy is pathetic. Nobody posting on this thread was born then. Its akin to someone of Irish descent hating a British tourist because his great-grandparents had to leave Ireland due to the Potato Famine.

What exactly does John Doe from Topeka have to do with the chicanery of the 19th Century? Good grief. People are being randomly targeted and blamed for something over 100 years old just because they are white. How utterly sophmoric and cowardly.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:57 PM

3,151 posts, read 5,200,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
If you are talking about Kamehameha Schools, which does have a "Hawaiian Ancestry Only" admissions policy, it is not a public school. It is a private school, K-12, with an endowment bigger than all the Universities in the US except Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford and MIT, according to Wikipedia. The admissions policy has been challenged in the courts, State and Federal, and so far, the School has prevailed.

Hank
They had to settle out of court: Kamehameha Schools settled lawsuit for $7M | HonoluluAdvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser

Old 04-24-2008, 02:59 PM

3,151 posts, read 5,200,265 times
If people attack your car, set up CCTV cameras to record them doing it. Post the cameras on YouTube to show them for what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyelliott View Post
I have lived here for 3 years in kauai, seriously no matter how hard I try to fit in, i never do. I have had days where I went home crying. I have had local people smash my car and leave it damaged without even leaving a note. It costs me $1000 out of pocket to fix, i have been gossiped about till I am blue in the face, and nearly lost my job as a result of vicoius rumors. My boyfriend and I drive a jeep and people give us dirty looks on the roadway and frankly I am tired of being asked by locals "where you visiting from." I get disgusted with this mentality, but then one day some very sweet local person will go out of their way to do something really nice that changes my feelings. So my skin got thick real quick, I find the sweetest people of all are true Hawaiians, Tongans and Somoans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii