Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:41 PM

17 posts, read 108,676 times

Advertisements

I just have to comment regarding this subject because several years ago I lived in Hawaii for 3 months and loved every second of it. I cannot recall any racism toward me, and actually the locals where I worked were quite nice and invited myself and my friends to their barbecues several times. I plan to move back soon and hope that I have the same experience!!! Yet, I do have to say that I currently live in southern california, and work in quite a large hospital in a small town and I am constantly faced with being the minority everyday. I wouldn't call it racism that I experience, but being a young white woman in a position to hand out some orders from time to time, yields a lot of rude comments!!! Ironically enough, one of the employees that has actually attempted to get to know me is originally from Hawaii!!! I am usually the only white person eating lunch in the cafeteria and cannot even understand any of the conversation going on around me!! There is a mix of hispanic, phillipino, asian, and korean...........So, from where I'm standing, I can't wait to head back to Hawaii!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
If you cant see the racism here in Oahu etc, than you are blind to it. It is here and FOCUSED on the Haole white people. Its a state you cant appreciate till you experience it. I have lived in many states(and been to many countries, and Hawaii is more obvious to me for racism), and have been a minority in most places. I was told about it in Hawaii (been here 8 years, Pearl City and Mililani). Its just like when you are in San Fran, you see the gays because you are looking for it. But if you are from here, raised here, you are a local that may not see it the way others see it. But love is blind too.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:48 PM

21 posts, read 90,823 times
i have lived out here for three years, and am white. my younger brother lives out here too, and i am so afraid Moderator cut: Watch your language! he rides his bike alot at night, and the other evening, some guys in a huge truck came at him, ran him off the road and hit the back tire of his bike. they screamed haole and left him there, injured on the side of the road. crap i tell ya! what are the cops gonna do?

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-16-2008 at 03:00 PM..

Old 04-21-2008, 04:11 AM

202 posts, read 1,075,363 times
I saw this clip and though it was interesting to add it. I guess the actors didn't like hawaii Forgetting Sarah Marshall - Hawaii Sucks - Movies & TV - SPIKE

Old 04-21-2008, 06:00 AM

1 posts, read 6,805 times
I think they were being sarcastic - not the Claw part, but they didn't seem too serious to me.

I gotta say that threads like this used to scare me a bit. As someone whose dad is almost all Hawaiian (sprinkle of Chinese), I look more haole than Hawaiian. I used to get afraid when we visited him because of threads like this. He and his Japenese roommate laughed when I questioned them about it. Yes, there is some haole dislike but he said that usually there is some reason for the "stink eye". I have never met a rude islander yet and neither has my husband. I will say the rudest people I have met on the islands in all of our visits have been from the imports and not the people from Hawai'i.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:28 PM

617 posts, read 2,072,759 times
I just signed up here because of this thread. My son has been on the north shore of Kauai since 2005. He got to work this morning and found an expensive generator had been stolen from the job site. When he told the police officer, the officer said my son was one of the haoles who were ruining his island. No police report was taken.

My son is a skilled construction worker. (Stone mason) He works hard, and contributes to the economy. This is not the first time he's been called a haole with such scorn (it happens several times a week), but it is the first time it came from a police officer.

When I was driving around Kauai a few years ago, I saw a For Sale sign in front of a house. The sign also said, "But never to the white man." I was shocked. At the time I thought that was the exception to the rule but not now. Racism happens far too often to be acceptable.

If I put a For Sale sign on my house that excluded a race or nationality, you can bet your bottom dollar there'd be an outcry about it. Yet it's okay for Hawaiians to be so openly racist toward non-Hawaiian mainlanders? That doesn't make sense to me.

My son is quite disillusioned right now. As a white woman, I decided long ago that the best thing I could do to eliminate racism in America was to raise the next generation without it. I think I've succeeded. I have 6 kids and among their friends have been many nationalities and races. My children were taught that skin color is no different than eye color - just another variable in appearance. What is happening in Hawaii (specifically, Kauai, since that's the only island I know much about) is disgraceful. Racism is always wrong.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:47 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
I just signed up here because of this thread. My son has been on the north shore of Kauai since 2005. He got to work this morning and found an expensive generator had been stolen from the job site. When he told the police officer, the officer said my son was one of the haoles who were ruining his island. No police report was taken.

My son is a skilled construction worker. (Stone mason) He works hard, and contributes to the economy. This is not the first time he's been called a haole with such scorn (it happens several times a week), but it is the first time it came from a police officer.

When I was driving around Kauai a few years ago, I saw a For Sale sign in front of a house. The sign also said, "But never to the white man." I was shocked. At the time I thought that was the exception to the rule but not now. Racism happens far too often to be acceptable.

If I put a For Sale sign on my house that excluded a race or nationality, you can bet your bottom dollar there'd be an outcry about it. Yet it's okay for Hawaiians to be so openly racist toward non-Hawaiian mainlanders? That doesn't make sense to me.

My son is quite disillusioned right now. As a white woman, I decided long ago that the best thing I could do to eliminate racism in America was to raise the next generation without it. I think I've succeeded. I have 6 kids and among their friends have been many nationalities and races. My children were taught that skin color is no different than eye color - just another variable in appearance. What is happening in Hawaii (specifically, Kauai, since that's the only island I know much about) is disgraceful. Racism is always wrong.
ACLU or FBI, thats BS about the police report, and you know if this is true CNN would love this to report. DO IT!!

Old 04-22-2008, 03:36 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,465 times
There is a powerpoint show making the rounds that has a statistic quite relavent to this discussion. It starts out:

If you could fit the entire population of the world into a village consisting of 100 people, maintaining the proportions of all the people living on earth, that village would consist of:

and then it give various breakdowns, by ehtnicity, sex, religion, location, education, etc.

One of the breakdowns that caught my eye was:

30 Caucasians and 70 non-Caucasians.

The Haole/local (read: Caucasian/non-Caucasian) breakdown of Honolulu is about 20/80.

Maybe Hawaii is one of the best places a Haole could find to learn about race relations as seen by the "rest of the world".

Hank

Old 04-22-2008, 08:57 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
There is a powerpoint show making the rounds that has a statistic quite relavent to this discussion. It starts out:

If you could fit the entire population of the world into a village consisting of 100 people, maintaining the proportions of all the people living on earth, that village would consist of:

and then it give various breakdowns, by ehtnicity, sex, religion, location, education, etc.

One of the breakdowns that caught my eye was:

30 Caucasians and 70 non-Caucasians.

The Haole/local (read: Caucasian/non-Caucasian) breakdown of Honolulu is about 20/80.

Maybe Hawaii is one of the best places a Haole could find to learn about race relations as seen by the "rest of the world".

Hank
Thats a crock of poop.
Have people grow up in military bases, and then when they travel the world they will be educated and enlightened on how to accept everyone as who they are.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:32 PM

99 posts, read 466,877 times
This article is for everyone claiming they don't understand the fears of racism in HI:

source: Honolulu Star-Bulletin News

Is trouble brewing?
Moderator cut: Please provide a snippet of the quote and a link. We don't want to get into copy right issues. Thanks.

Last edited by 7th generation; 04-23-2008 at 08:03 AM..

Old 04-23-2008, 04:12 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,724 times
If you go to visit, you should be fine. It's when you live there, or go off the beaten path. Some Hawaiians hate whites due to the fact that the first non Hawaiians to go over were white missionaries. I'm sure that if another race other than white was to show up, then they would hate them instead. The missionaries that stayed, bought land from the Hawaiians very cheap. As more Europeans came over, they also would buy up land. In the 1800's more people were interested in Hawaii and so they moved in and kinda took over. What was not private property was bought out by the U.S. Government. The Hawaiian Royalty was very much mislead as to what exactly was going to happen. They were not treated very well. They didn't get respect. Both America and England were very interested in "owning" Hawaii. It became a push and shove between America nad England. The Hawaiians saw only whites wanting to come in and take over. We didn't take it, like we took America from the Indians, we bought it from the HAwaiians. But they still are holding that dislike for whites to this day. That's what we were taught in school there, but you can always look it up. Since as a kid, I didn't really care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii