Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 04:59 PM

649 posts, read 3,435,578 times

Advertisements

Let's keep it here, OK? If we keep it civil and don't get personal, they won't shut it down (I hope).

I have never experienced any racism due to being white in Hawaii (maybe a little 'stink eye', but then again, maybe that was not based on my race, I dunno, maybe they didn't like something else about me) but my brother did, on a visit to Kaua'i about 10 years ago. (Now my Jr. High, in Baltimore, was another story, but that was long ago and far away, and should be in another forum, anyway...)

Old 03-14-2008, 05:31 PM

144 posts, read 733,925 times
As an Asian I have experienced racism on the mainland but never in Hawaii.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:48 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,484,715 times
As a frequent tourist I try and be very respectful of the fact I am a visitor on a Hawaiian Island, but I've had a few rough comments when I ventured into places that were not tourist areas. In particular I grabbed a lunch and went to a public park not on the map (found it by accident) and was told to leave as it wasn't a park meant for tourists. That also happended somewhere else on Kauai. I left, of course, but it was odd to me as I was trying not to act like a tourist.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:38 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,283,936 times
I've posted about this before on the forum, but will address is again here because I do believe it is a relevant issue to discuss when looking into the realities of living in Hawaii.

I am fair-skinned, have blue eyes and reddish hair (these days that varies a bit depending on what color Loreal Feria I bought last!). Most people assume, correctly, that I have some Irish blood.

I have never once faced a situation where I felt any racism directed toward me as an individual. I have attended the University of Hawaii (KCC campus, Manoa campus and Hilo campus) and have worked and lived in Ewa Beach/Ewa, Salt Lake and Honolulu on Oahu and now live in Hilo on the Big Island. I have also spent time on Maui, Kauai and Molokai.

My work environments have always been supportive and friendly, sometimes to the point of becoming like a second-family for me (invitations to dinner, "adopted" at Christmas or Thanksgiving, etc). In every instance, I have worked with a mix of people...local, mainland transplants, folks from a number of other countries. I can honestly say that racism has not been an issue I have felt has impacted my life in Hawaii. Quite the opposite. One of the major reasons I love this place is the experiences I have had by being in such close contact with people from here and from around the world: Chinese families--makes celebrating Chinese New Year more fun!, Filipino families who tried to teach me to play their version of Mancala with the grandmother who spoke no English, a Japanese-Korean retired military man who was teaching Math in Ewa, the families that have invited me to their baby first luau, my girlfriends who had me in their homes when they were making mochi or lau lau....the list could go on and on....

That said, the one instance that comes to mind when I discuss this issue is a situation that occurred when I walked into a High School classroom where two teen girls were passionately discussing some dramatic episode...they did not see me walk into the room, but just as I did, I heard clearly the term "f*^k*%g haole". The girl who said it immediately noticed me and both of the girls were quick to look embarrassed and to apologize, "Sorry, Miss!". I did not feel the need to respond. I just nodded and gave them a smile and moved on to what came next in the preparing for the class. Why did this not bother me much? I guess because I grew up in the South and heard similiar and worse directed at other races with no good reason and realize that it can happen anywhere. (I know that people who grow up using these terms sometimes really "mean" what they are saying, but sometimes the words are used thoughtlessly and as a result of ignorance. These girls had no problem with me....they were expressing frustration and when they realized that I had heard them, they were quick to realize the inappropriateness of what they had said.) That has truly been the closest brush with racism that I have personally encountered.

Last thing I will add, for balance, is that when I lived on Oahu there were a few places that my local male friends suggested that I avoid going alone at night. These were beaches known for drug deals and rough behavior. I believe, since I left, that these areas have been developed as State parks and are now not so "off the beaten path". I generally, but not always, heed that kind of advice. I also tend to stay away from bars as closing time approaches. There is no place in the world where aggression and alcohol make a good mix--I've seen fights end the evening in the small town South as well as here in Hawaii...but the lesson I learned was to go home earlier!

I know that each individual has his/her own personal account of their experiences in Hawaii and I do not discredit any person's experience. I have had friends who have been in altercations where racial slurs were tossed around. Though I must say that the stories that I could tell are mostly the stories of local Big Island boys who had incidents with local Big Island boys of other races, and again, these incidents happened late at night after someone in the situation had been drinking.

There is much more to the discussion of this issue, and I could probably write a book about my opinions....but what I've shared here is my personal experience...for what it's worth!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:03 PM

126 posts, read 686,753 times
I never experienced it in my life outside of my job. Most of my friends never experienced it at all. Causual interactions were always positive. Any resentment was disguised in aloha.

On my job (teaching) I experienced it all the time to varying levels from different people. Of the 60+ people I worked with, some were very nice but were wary of me, some never spoke to me even when addressed, and some were downright hostile. The one person who was very nice to me told me that she made it a point to be really nice to people from the mainland because everybody else treated them so poorly.

I have worked many places where I was a minority, and have had some interesting experiences, but I was never so obviously unwelcome as I was in Hawaii. It was not personal, and I understood where it came from. As with anything, I kept smiling, did my job, rationalized it, and made the best of it. It's not interesting because it's my story. It's notable because it speaks to the current climate for the many people looking to move to (semi) rurual Hawaii for a teaching position.

I was particularly concerned for the kids from the mainland because they had a very difficult time at school.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:19 PM

18 posts, read 128,544 times
I have lived in Hawaii for a couple years and the people I have met were incredibly friendly. Unfortunately there are some spots, like here in Hilo where the Aloha can be fake and people will "make nice" to just about anyone then talk garbage about them behind their backs. This can be damaging in the work place as locals are very protective of their jobs while mainlanders usually with higher educations and experience come and drive up the competition. The anti-haole sentiment has combatted this competition to a good degree. Hey, whatever works for them. This is not just a race based observation but socio-cultural as well.

If you want an idea about what being white on the Big Island is like, my white friend and 7 year Hilo resident explained to me, "Imagine a small southern town, only with brown people and you're the minority." Then throw in the casual attire and occasional barefoot walking in public, Hilo and the mainland South apparently have a lot in common.

- An Asian Transplant

Old 03-27-2008, 12:49 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,839,074 times
really folks ... I gotta chuckle a bit (goodnaturedly) at some of the posts declaring the writer has never experienced racism in Hawaii. If you are Asian, or part Asian, you won't experience much, if any racism in Hawaii. If you are a haole woman, especially young and attractive, you won't experience much racism either.

If you are a young to middle-aged haole male, you WILL experience racism outside of the tourist areas.

Period.

Been there ... done that ... my red-head and blonde sons been there and done that, brah. Good lookin', much younger haole wife had no problem!

Live with it. Move on. Whatevah.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:33 PM

144 posts, read 733,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
really folks ... I gotta chuckle a bit (goodnaturedly) at some of the posts declaring the writer has never experienced racism in Hawaii. If you are Asian, or part Asian, you won't experience much, if any racism in Hawaii.
It's nice you got a laugh out of it but my post was not meant to be funny. The racism I have experienced on the mainland has certainly not been funny.

Because of the low incidence of racism directed at Asians, Hawaii can be a real oasis for people like me.

No matter what the color of your skin, racism hurts.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:51 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,839,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Cowgirl View Post
It's nice you got a laugh out of it but my post was not meant to be funny. The racism I have experienced on the mainland has certainly not been funny.

Because of the low incidence of racism directed at Asians, Hawaii can be a real oasis for people like me.

No matter what the color of your skin, racism hurts.
not a "laugh" ... just a (good-natured) chuckle. And I'm not laughing a bit at 'racism'. What struck me as a bit amusing were the statements that seemed to deny that racism is a problem in Hawaii ... as if because some kinds of people haven't experienced it, then it's not real. I repeat: those of Asian racial origin have little to no problem in Hawaii (in fact, many Asians there are as racist toward the haoles as are a lot of Hawaiians). And haole young women are rarely treated with the degree of 'stink-eye' and harassment either.

Furthermore, so you understand me better, when I lived in Hawaii, haole that I am, and my sons, I took a deep breath often, and chuckled at being on the receiving end. No, it's not nice. But, frankly, more whites should have the experience — and have to suck it up. Yep, I'm Scandinavian white. And Americans of European background are pretty arrogant as a group. Because they are 'on top' financially now in the world, doesn't mean other people from other lands and races and cultures are stupid or incompetent. I believe white America and Europe has just entered the twilight zone through globalization. We white folk 'bout to get our butts kicked for our arrogance. Gonna have to share, oh no!

Yep, that makes me chuckle a bit. Have a nice one

Old 03-27-2008, 07:45 PM

65 posts, read 288,390 times
I have had two bad racist incidents in 5-6 years, but that's it. I have never considered myself a bigot. However, I really need to find more room in my heart for the occasional angry local, or Hawaiian separatist. I suspect I was partly to blame for both incidents because I didn't know the local rules and customs. You can only learn these through trial and error. That's why haoles who've been here a while do well. I had a rough start but I was a big enough person to learn from my bad experiences.

Maintaining a good sense of humor is critical. Humor is the best way to defuse a tense situation.

Discover what you have in common. Never judge a book by its cover. I recently played a tennis match where I met what my mother would consider a scary looking guy. He had a strange hair cut, lots of "menacing" tattoos, and a weak mastery of standard English. But, we had the love of tennis in common, and I've lived here long enough to know the tattoos may not really be menacing, and tattoos are acceptable in local polite company. After the match we chatted, and I strained to understand his pidgin. I've been here long enough to be able to understand half of it, which is enough. It turns out this gentleman is having a blast teaching his three year old daughter how to dance, he has never drank or smoked, and he's desperately funny. Be accepting and open-minded when you encounter new and different people, places and things.

So, grow some think skin, or learn a few relaxation mantras, find a place to rent first (before buying), and move over. Join a canoe club. When asked to a potluck bring too much food. Join a community non-profit and volunteer your time and talent. Attend your community (town) meetings. Learn to surf or play golf. Learn the local flora and fauna. Know that being invited to a baby luau is a very, very big deal and act accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii