Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 02:59 PM

451 posts, read 411,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - put me in the camp of higher taxes can mean better schools, healthcare, population growth, better roads, etc....

I'm surprised people are so stingy and think taxes are high - US taxes are among the lowest in the world and the infrastructure is crumbling around the nation.

Just look at the teacher situation in Oklahoma due to tax cuts. Don’t be surprised when it happens here.
WV, in your response you unfortunately ignored that this state had a revenue surplus of close to one billion dollars at the start of 2018. Based on your assertion, we would be raising taxes to add revenues to the existing revenue surplus. In addition, you don't address the economic and political consequences that significant tax increases would have on the businesses (remember, Hawaii has a service based economy
i.e., pretty much a 'one-trick pony') and how additional tax levies would burden Hawaii families. As pj737
clearly pointed out, the issue is and will continue to be for the foreseeable future, spending allocations.
Growth in productivity would certainly be a pathway to an increase in taxes. Perhaps you might suggest examples of how productivity growth is achieved in service based economies such as we have here in
Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 06:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Perhaps you might suggest examples of how productivity growth is achieved in service based economies such as we have here in
Hawaii.
If I read the story correctly, once they funded the rainy day fund - which can be wiped out quickly, and funded public worker health benefits, there was only $242 million left.

Regardless, I'm not sure where I suggested productivity growth is achieved in a service based economy, but based on your prior argument, if the state had a $1 billion surplus (down to $242 million) clearly something is growing.

This notion of taxing "working families" isn't something I buy - if you don't make a lot, even if the tax burden is higher, it still doesn't go up a lot. Anyway, I would suggest taxing higher the Pj's of the world higher (good grief, if he can pay $4,000 month in property taxes, certainly he can afford more) - and taxing higher income earners higher (there are a lot of people making a lot of money in Hawaii - 3rd highest per capita millionaires in US), tax retiree pensions above a certain income level, raise to a least double property taxes on property above $1 million, get rid of GET - and replace with a 9% sales tax, raise water rates (I mean seriously, why is water so cheap in Hawaii), raise the gas taxes to fund roads and at the same time discourage driving - I'd start there.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:55 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Why omit we are 49th in total taxes collected per capita - which tells me taxes are artificially low. Hard to be efficient when you don’t have much to begin with.

Good grief.
Hawaii’s income taxes are among the highest in the nation. If Hawaii wants more tax revenue, lower the tax rate. Lower tax rates will result in more tax revenue. It’s basic economics.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Well - put me in the camp of higher taxes can mean better schools, healthcare, population growth, better roads, etc....

I'm surprised people are so stingy and think taxes are high - US taxes are among the lowest in the world and the infrastructure is crumbling around the nation.

Just look at the teacher situation in Oklahoma due to tax cuts. Don’t be surprised when it happens here.
Higher taxes does not mean better schools, healthcare, population growth (that’s a good one), and better roads. What higher taxes mean is less revenue. It’s possible one of the results of poor education, roads, and healthcare is from government waste.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:24 AM

919 posts, read 789,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Lower tax rates will result in more tax revenue. It’s basic economics.
it's voodoo economics.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
it's voodoo economics.

How is that voodoo economics? Show me where tax cuts results in less tax revenue? I don’t want to hear about Kansas. It was **** poor tax cut policy and revenue still increased.

What is voodoo is climate science, not tax cut economics.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:33 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Hawaii’s income taxes are among the highest in the nation. If Hawaii wants more tax revenue, lower the tax rate. Lower tax rates will result in more tax revenue. It’s basic economics.
Uh. No.

Take a look at the situation in Oklahoma - they are the poster child of lowering tax rates resulting in far less tax revenue.

Heck, lets look at the Trump Presidency.

Obama's last year was a $587 billion deficit. Bad

Trump's first year - $666 billion.

Trump's second year - with lower tax rates, over a trillion, Mmmmm, not such good basic economics.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:37 AM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
With the huge growth in tourist arrivals over the past 6 years, and the accompanying increase in tax revenue resulting from that growth, there should be no need or reason to increase taxes on residents. Unless of course the government is not managed correctly and increasing their spending at a rate equal to the increase in revenue.

And if that is the case, which it almost always is, then the pain will be felt very acutely once tourist arrivals and spending starts to drop back down.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Uh. No.

Take a look at the situation in Oklahoma - they are the poster child of lowering tax rates resulting in far less tax revenue.

Heck, lets look at the Trump Presidency.

Obama's last year was a $587 billion deficit. Bad

Trump's first year - $666 billion.

Trump's second year - with lower tax rates, over a trillion, Mmmmm, not such good basic economics.
In regards to Oklahoma, the tax cuts could have been poorly designed just as they were for Kansas. I would have to research that more, but poorly designed tax cuts is not proof tax cuts cause less revenue. Also, there were years after the tax cuts that revenue did increase for Oklahoma. Point is, tax hikes does not produce more revenue, but rather stymie the economy and we know that most recently while under Obama. The GDP growth under Obama was horrendous.

This is the first year in Trump’s presidency where the tax cuts are being implemented and already the tax receipts have increased. Also, GDP growth under Trump is more than it ever was under Obama. For Trump’s first 3 quarters he has averaged over 3% gdp growth. This is after inheriting Obama’s 1.2% Gdp growth final quarter. The economy is roaring right now unlike it ever has under Obama.

Deficits has nothing to do with the tax revenues that have increased under Trump. It is not a tax problem, but rather a spending problem. Again, show me where Trump’s tax cuts has resulted in less revenue. Show me anywhere where federal tax cuts has resulted in less revenue? Look at the years where there were tax cuts and look at the federal tax receipts. Anyway, liberals love spending and deficits. So I’m not sure why liberals are so upset about the debt our nation is in. Liberals should be happy about these tax cuts too because of the increase of more federal revenue. The government will have more money to spend on social programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: