Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 03:07 AM

451 posts, read 412,098 times

Advertisements

A gaggle of neighbors showed up to watch Monday Afternoon Football here at Chez Rain Monkey. After the game we decamped and moved to a hastily built fire pit (a location where previous owners burned their garbage over the course of many decades past), mainly because it has become damn chilly in the evenings this past week.

Fortified with cheap bourbon and a warm fire, the discussion eventually digressed to the important topic of how one deals with cockroach infestation in one's car. Of course, everyone agreed that cleanliness is next to godliness when ensuring that cockroaches don't take up residence in one's ride. The neighbor who suggested catch-and-release had his booze supply cut off (didn't matter, he stumbled home and came back with a bottle five minutes later), and we viewed with profound sympathy the neighbor who suggested stabbing the little buggers while camped out at night with a flashlight in the back seat of the car...his wife can be particularly unpleasant, and it is understandable why he would spend the night in the company of cockroaches on his own volition or perhaps because his wife strongly suggested it would be a good hobby for him to pursue.

As for myself, I prefer the trap method. A Hoyhoy under each of the front seats entices and confounds of the smaller invaders, however the B-52's that crawl up from the dashboard are certainly a different problem.

What is the experience and advice of this learned board?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 03:23 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Periodically setting off a fogger works to get rid of all bugs. But set it up so the fogger can't spray chemicals directly onto the car roof or anything. You want just the fog to get everywhere not everything soaked in fogger chemicals.

The Hoyhoy works or you can take a tall skinny container of some sort, put something cockroach tasty in the bottom of it - sometimes in a bit of water with a spritz of dish soap in it - and then grease the inside at the top. The cockroaches will go in to get the food and then can't get back out.

If it were ants, you could take the tasty stuff and mix it with boric acid, not sure if that works on cockroaches or not.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:49 AM

Hi Hotcatz, thanks for the post and advice. The fogger was duly debated, however it use was dismissed due to the concern of hauling grandkids around and the potential of chemical (as you well noted) residue. Same thing for the cockroach bait strips that seem to be popular. Too many old grandfathers here (most now half asleep in their chairs) worried about small kids putting them into their mouths.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:56 AM

Oh, ant infestation in cars don't seem to be a problem here. At least in cars in our hood, although I have a running battle with
them in our home over the course of a number of years. We're still here. The ants, ain't.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:58 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Drive faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-21-2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Drive faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't. I happily drive a 4cyl toyota that's full of sand and I can fix in our garage. The long suffering Mrs. Rain Monkey drives the really expensive, really fast iron which I am rarely allowed to operate (except when I am allowed to take it to the repair shop) because I have a penchant for char sui manapua, which frankly, I happily consume in her stupid, expensive car....every chance I get. Such is the foundation of a long and happy marriage!! Honestly, you have to live in Hawai'i to understand the dynamics.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:53 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
Honestly, you have to live in Hawai'i to understand the dynamics.
I'll have to try and get out there one of these days.

They tell me it's nice. As far as the cockroach pilikia, my friends always recommend Mel's Centipede Rental, centrally located in downtown Kaonahauna. They, those little kanapi, love nothing more than a fat, juicy cockroach. And, with the Holidays right around the pu'u, they're an indispensable deterrent to those Holiday guests who just don't want to go back to the cold and snowy mainland. Try sneaking a few into your guest room, or, better yet, drop a couple into the shower!!! Get a dozen, Mel ships state wide

Old 11-21-2017, 07:27 AM

113 posts, read 163,528 times
Has anyone tried sprinkling food grade diatomaceous earth through the car's carpet and fabrics? I would imagine it would do wonders to the roach populations in a car..

Old 11-21-2017, 10:33 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Cockroaches in car? Really - is this frequent?

I've not encountered this in my car or someone else's car which would definitely take me by surprise.

Seems like a thorough detail inside the car - and keep the windows closed when you park should suffice.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:45 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
I don't think your cars count, WhiteViper, they go too fast to get cockroaches. Didn't you get a Tesla now? Do electric cars have less cockaroaches? Although it's hard to get less than zero, I suppose. At least when doing cockaroach math, it might work better in science math.

Ratty old beach cars and especially trucks that are used to haul stuff to the transfer station get lots of bugs in them. There was the centipede in the SO's car once. Big one, too. And it bit me! Ick! They are supposed to eat cockroaches, maybe a centipede or two would get rid of cockroaches?

And yesterday there was the gecko on the car, although it was on the outside and jumped off at the stop sign several blocks away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii