Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 12:25 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
No - since it is actually harder to hit Hawaii than lets say Seattle or the Bay Area
Quote:
The Seattle metro area has 3.7 million people - for larger than Oahu.

And it isn't like a bunch of aircraft carriers and submarines are hanging around Pearl Harbor nowadays, they are closer to Korea than Hawaii.
.??? I was referring to geographic size ... square miles ... in response to your earlier comment that Hawaii would be harder to hit than Seattle. It would be easier. Missile guidance systems are extremely sophisticated these days. They can target very precisely.

And right about Pearl Harbor ... but, as I said, it does have more military strategic value than Seattle. Yet Seattle would likely be more devastating to the nation if wiped out.

Nonetheless, no missiles gonna fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 12:43 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Missile guidance systems are extremely sophisticated these days. They can target very precisely.
I don't think N. Korea has much of an idea other than a general area where those missiles are going - and the farther they fly, the farther off target they can go. Other than the US, and to a lesser degree Russia - I doubt many countries have highly accurate ICBM's

Old 12-05-2017, 04:30 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
.??? I was referring to geographic size ... square miles ... in response to your earlier comment that Hawaii would be harder to hit than Seattle. It would be easier. Missile guidance systems are extremely sophisticated these days. They can target very precisely.

And right about Pearl Harbor ... but, as I said, it does have more military strategic value than Seattle. Yet Seattle would likely be more devastating to the nation if wiped out.

Nonetheless, no missiles gonna fly.

Yes, but it is not believed that they have missile guidance systems that are that good.

From everything I have heard, they would lob a missile at CONUS because it is just one big target. Hitting a little tiny island in the middle of the Pacific is beyond their capabilities.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-05-2017, 05:00 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, but it is not believed that they have missile guidance systems that are that good.

From everything I have heard, they would lob a missile at CONUS because it is just one big target. Hitting a little tiny island in the middle of the Pacific is beyond their capabilities.
Hope Trump is out there wearing his Catchers Mitt.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:01 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
People who actually believe there's a chance that NK will attack any US soil knows not much of how NK actually works. The MSM is really propagating this totally laughable fear mongering.
When a United States Senator appears on a talk show and states that dependents of American military personnel in South Korea should leave, implying that they're in danger, it's not the media who is doing the fear-mongering.

Quote:

It's not that North Korea cannot hit Hawaii (which is a chain of islands that certainly aren't 'tiny') but that they have a much better chance of hitting a large target such as CONUS than they do of hitting the Hawaiian islands, the four major of which comprise approximately 6000 square miles, not counting ocean.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:09 PM

Not a question of where..but when.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:02 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
I don't think N. Korea has much of an idea other than a general area where those missiles are going - and the farther they fly, the farther off target they can go. Other than the US, and to a lesser degree Russia - I doubt many countries have highly accurate ICBM's
Quote:

Precision targeting of ICBM's is different than laser guidance in short range ordinance. ICBM's are programmed from launch and not adjusted for changing / moving targets. They don't "track". Precision targeting of ICBM's is about static math and physics engineering, one set of calculations, not infinitely changeable weaponry sophistication. NPRK has been working on applying the easily known formulas to evolving engineering. They are getting better and better by the month. They will get it right just as other ICBM nations have done. The other tough part - very tough, much more so than working out missile guidance - is adapting nuclear warheads to the missles and achieving a stable vehicle for re-entry trajectories. They will get that right as well, eventually. The science and engineering already exists. They are getting it fed to them by other world players. Many, if not most, ICBM's carry multiple warhead payloads, as many as a half dozen per missile, which deploy to multiple different targets in final stage trajectory. NPRK hasn't even a single warhead yet that can load and then survive launch and re-entry. But they will have that weapons capability in the near foreseeable future.

And then they will never launch an attack. Why would they? This is about threat to achieve bargaining position and security, not offensive action. Not about suicide.

President Chump, of course, is the real wild card. Not Kim Jong Un. On that score, however, Chump's generals, regardless of being one kind of idealogue or the other, are not Doctor Strangelove's. They won't let the madman push any buttons except on his twitter phone pad.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:21 PM

^ Mod Gods won't let me give 'Rep'..but Bravo Zulu.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:08 PM

25 posts, read 45,184 times
The more likely scenario is that North Korea will eventually fire a test missile into the mid-Pacific, landing somewhere hundreds of miles from Hawaii as a demonstration of their range. That would definitely affect tourism and the real estate market.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:35 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmeister View Post
The more likely scenario is that North Korea will eventually fire a test missile into the mid-Pacific, landing somewhere hundreds of miles from Hawaii as a demonstration of their range. That would definitely affect tourism and the real estate market.
It will be the end of North Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: