Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 02:42 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times

Advertisements

Oahu is not a good place for homeless people nowadays due to aggressive police sweeps that give a runaround. North Shore used to be the best spot for homeless: church, mellow people, salvation army and sober homeless people. Lot of times, the cool people of North Shore would take you in and offer you a room for little or no charge out of good jesture. That was in the 90's. Haven't been there since. I am guessing it's no longer due to possible aggressive homeless sweep there, too, and changed attitudes. I may be wrong. For now, Kauai is the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 11:50 PM

36 posts, read 43,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Oahu is not a good place for homeless people nowadays due to aggressive police sweeps that give a runaround. North Shore used to be the best spot for homeless: church, mellow people, salvation army and sober homeless people. Lot of times, the cool people of North Shore would take you in and offer you a room for little or no charge out of good jesture. That was in the 90's. Haven't been there since. I am guessing it's no longer due to possible aggressive homeless sweep there, too, and changed attitudes. I may be wrong. For now, Kauai is the best
It looks like they don’t have it so bad considering how happy and talkative with each other are those that spend time in Waikiki. That talk, laugh, play games etc...

Old 01-09-2018, 03:56 PM

163 posts, read 268,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiboca View Post
It looks like they don’t have it so bad considering how happy and talkative with each other are those that spend time in Waikiki. That talk, laugh, play games etc...
A group of homeless in one small section of one city doesn't represent all the homeless across all the major islands.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:51 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
1. Did you notice the OP is a 1-post wonder with no replies yet?
That matters not...these phantom threads remind me of when a friend would call me years ago and my 'answering machine' would tell him to 'leave a message right after the beep.'

He would then say, 'Are you there?...pick up..pick up.'

He would then proceed leave a long drawn message, asking me questions, basically having a running conversation with himself until the 'tape' ran out.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:21 AM

451 posts, read 412,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
That matters not...these phantom threads remind me of when a friend would call me years ago and my 'answering machine' would tell him to 'leave a message right after the beep.'

He would then say, 'Are you there?...pick up..pick up.'

He would then proceed leave a long drawn message, asking me questions, basically having a running conversation with himself until the 'tape' ran out.

That was me! Heck, when cheap, everyday recorders came on the market, I would call friends and read favorite passages from books, etc. I loved hearing the reactions. Often they would call back and leave a message in the tone of 'Hey, stop leaving those stupid messages or I'll ....... you'. I'd leave passages
of poetry on the recorders of wahine I wanted to impress. To be honest, I was less than impressive based
on the feedback or lack of it. Perhaps it was the sonnets I chose......

Thinking back, long ago, before answering machines, I would cringe when the phone rang. Back in the
day, it took courage to answer those calls when you didn't know who it was that was trying to
reach you.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:43 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
Rain Monkey,
You can call me again, let me give you my new number; 867-5309.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:16 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
I wondered that as well, Hawaii is an odd state. Extreme wealth and extreme poverty. I know a lot of states are like that but Hawaii takes it to the extreme.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:56 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post
That was me! Heck, when cheap, everyday recorders came on the market, I would call friends and read favorite passages from books, etc. I loved hearing the reactions. Often they would call back and leave a message in the tone of 'Hey, stop leaving those stupid messages or I'll ....... you'. I'd leave passages
of poetry on the recorders of wahine I wanted to impress. To be honest, I was less than impressive based
on the feedback or lack of it. Perhaps it was the sonnets I chose......

Thinking back, long ago, before answering machines, I would cringe when the phone rang. Back in the
day, it took courage to answer those calls when you didn't know who it was that was trying to
reach you.
LOL. At one of the companies I worked at, members of my team developed a message leaving technique where we would just ramble on about random subjects and then at some point (very quickly) drop in the question or subject of the call. It forced the recipient to listen to the whole damn rambling mess as you couldn't forward through the message without passing by the actual question.
It was all done in good fun, but ultimately resulted in IT drastically reducing the duration of recorded messages.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:00 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I wondered that as well, Hawaii is an odd state. Extreme wealth and extreme poverty. I know a lot of states are like that but Hawaii takes it to the extreme.
No. The wealth gap in Hawaii is among the lowest in the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ni_coefficient Hawaii 8th lowest

https://www.epi.org/publication/inco...-us/#epi-toc-3 Hawaii second lowest

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...unity/equality Ranked 2nd best for income equality

Old 01-10-2018, 11:35 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
No. The wealth gap in Hawaii is among the lowest in the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ni_coefficient Hawaii 8th lowest

https://www.epi.org/publication/inco...-us/#epi-toc-3 Hawaii second lowest

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...unity/equality Ranked 2nd best for income equality
When why did so many Hawaiian ask me for money and see so many homeless and say I was rich for driving an old Porsche that was not even expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii